chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
For anyone who is in the market for a new TV Asda are selling a 40" Full HD 1080p LCD TV for only £249 !!! seems like a very good deal to me-

The LUXOR LUX-40-914-TVB is a fantastic 40ins television with a 1080p full HD screen. Great for watching high definition TV, Blu-ray movies and playing games. This LCD TV has access to up to 50 Freeview channels and 24 radio stations, the ideal T.V for the family.

_http://
direct.asda.com/Luxor-LUX-40-914-TVB-40ins-Full-HD-LCD-TV/000508847,default,pd.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly looks like a good deal Chis, although the sound on these is not brilliant and the contrast ratio is a little on the low side.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
It's been a while since I've seen Luxor TV's. Looks a great deal though Chris ;)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have been tempted by such Supermarket goodies in the past, but reading some of Vipersan's tales about getting them repaired, I am sceptical about product life.

But ............... the price is pretty good, so there's a trade off.

As for sound, our sets/STBs are all connected to Hi-Fi anyway, so poor native amp/speakers isn't a stopper.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Now there's a manufacturers name I haven't heard for many years. It was part of the Finlux/Finlandia/Salora/Nokia group in the 80's

Where would the Luxor brand now be made ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Probably a toss-up between China and Turkey. Any other guesses?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I tend to stay away from supermarket brands incase they break and then the hassle to try have them repaired.

my current tv is a 32" Sony LCD I bought from amazon which works great after having a CRT of the same make for ages which is still in working condition.

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
These supermarket brand TVs are great as long as nothing goes wrong, I suppose that's what you pay for when getting a well known brand.

I suppose it's similar to my clone DM800, it's fantastic as long as it's working but if it goes wrong I'm without a paddle and will most likely have to buy a new one, of course the TV will have a manufacturers warranty for however long though...

I have had similar before when buying 27" and 32" TVs and had no problems, however when I went to 40" I decided it was a bit much money to risk so added the extra and got a Bravia.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Its a Vestel set, chinese built by the Turkish company, same peeps that build Bush & Alba. The PSU's are notorious for going on the blink within 2 years or so, I had a Hitachi branded LCD tv that was a Vestel the PSU went tits up within 18 month & a repair was a bomb, one to avoid if you ask me, if your after the cheaper set theres always LG who make the screens for these cheapos a great deal of the time.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Ghostleader said:
Its a Vestel set, chinese built by the Turkish company...
So, right on both counts! ;)

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Yip, Beko is another flavour these supermarket sets used to be made by, another big manufacturer of brown & white goods from Turkey, Beko washing machines have always been a good cheap choice for me, but theres no way a would by a T.V. made by them.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Looks like it's gone up by £50 now, price showing at £299.... But still a bargain for a 40" TV.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
at the risk of repeating myself...supermarkets are relying on past ascociations with known names and branding of sets ...to sell their 'made to order and _badged to convince_ chinese manufactured' goods...
Yes they are good value ...but the old maxim 'you get what you pay for' still holds true.
If its a quick fix you want ...at a bargain price ...then this is for you..
If its a quality build ..and no scrimping pennies on quality of build and components ...then spend a few quid more ...and go for a brand which still has the real macoy inside...
I can only speak as I find ...and from an engineers perspective..
Great value as a second set ...or for the kids at christmas...but for your main TV ...buy a quality item ...Sony ...Panasonic ...or even Samsung...
Yes ..even these can still fail ...but at least parts and service info is available .
rgds
VS

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Back in stock again for anyone who missed out but now at £299

Chris_Lucid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Acer 4233WLMi laptop
My Location
Middlewich, Cheshire
I'm just having a customer's 50" LG plasma repaired and was talking to the engineer about TV reliability, parts availability and prices. He said he can get bits for most TVs, but the parts that are most expensive are from those cheap Vestel Chinese/Turkish sets. He had a customer come in with a Technika which is I think Tesco's own brand(?). The power supply board was going to be close to £200 cost. I'll bet the entire set didn't cost much more when it was retailed. lol

Personally I'd give these super cheap TVs a wide berth on picture quality grounds alone. I swapped an LG 32" LCD for a Panasonic 32" this weekend as part of an install. I literally unplugged one and swapped it for the other and the customer was amazed at the picture quality improvement. The colours were more lifelike and the movement was far better. The picture had greater solidity, better scaling and just looked altogether a far classier image.

peppey

Reaction score
LCD tvs flatscreen tv wrong tube,use 30-40% more energy

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Apparently round here not so long back asda where selling all their ex-display tellys off on the cheap, I was told that they where flogging their ex-display 42" for around £80

I wouldn`t trust an ex-display model from asda though, it`s more than likely been on 24hours a day for at least 5 and a half days a week in their 24hr open stores so wouldn`t risk getting one for it to go wrong a few weeks later lol

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I always thought that LG was a good name.I have a 32 inch one in the back room.Over a year ago I bought a reduced price 32 inch panasonic tv from currys.It had just come from PC WORLD over the road.Ex Display.It had obviously done countless hours of service already.My view is that if modern electronics are going to break down.It is going to be in the first few months.If they last a year they will last forever. Well a bit :) I have had it for well over a year now.It is still working well.
I have noticed that the picture is better than the LG.However I now have a Panasonic 320GB twin tuner recorder under the LG .
When using the panasonic recorder tuner with the LG.The picture is better.I looks like the panasonic has a better tuner

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Not to start a LCD vs plasma war, but I would never knowingly buy a LCD set. Yes, they use less energy. Yes, they don't suffer screen burn ins and are much better suited as a computer moniton. Yes, they are cheaper. But... they look like a plastic glamour model - there's nothing real looking on it. My girlfriend's latest Samsung LCD.. sorry, LED (as she likes to point out), is a singing and dancing Smart TV, Internet blah blah... but the image quality is just... fake. LED-backlit looks better than older LCDs but are still behind plasmas in terms of realism.

Plasmas, to my eyes, offer a much more realistic image - a little akin to a good old fashioned CRT. Proper blacks (none of the "TruBlak" type gizmos you find on LCD sets), no "backlight" bleed from the edges (older LCDs) and deal much better with a crappy SD signal. There probably isn't much between the two when fed a good HD signal but we live in a real world.