Astra 1 (19.2E) and Astra 2D (28.2E) on one dish

user7743

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A round dish on the side of my house
My Location
Earth
Hi all, I live in the south of Germany. At the moment receive our English TV (Freesat) via a 60cm dish pointing directly to Astra 2D and we receive our German TV through cable. That works fine for us at the moment but we are moving. Where we are moving to does not have the possibility of cable so both TV feeds will be via satellite in the future. Rather than having two dishes, I was hoping to be able to go for one (larger) dish with two LNB's and a holder to allow the LNB's to be focused 9 degrees apart. I have a few questions related to this. 1) I assume it would make sense to have the primary focus of the dish on Astra 2D as this is going to be the weaker of the two signals, and the secondary off-set focus to be Astra 1. Does my assumption make sense? 2) I have seen a few brackets to allow this 9 degree separation. Some such as the Triax bracket seem to be pretty specific and designed to be matched to a dish. Are there more generic options that I can use or am I looking for a matched dish/arm/bracket set? 3) Any recommendations in specific products to allow this to be done? I have not seen too many brackets and those that I have seen, I have not been able to work out if the brackets are handed to fix the focus on one specific side or if they can be rotated as needed. 4) Finally, any set-up guides that would be useful in my case? I have set-up the single dis a few times but never using two LNB's and two different satellites. Thanks in advance

esto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kathrein uas 912
My Location
CE
That's a pretty common set-up (19+28). But I doubt you'll be able to do it on a 60cm dish. You'll probably need at least an 80cm. And be aware of the height difference, the 28°E LNB will need to be raised a few cm higher than the 19°E one.

Visiosat has a pre-formed LNB holder for just that setup, you may want to look at that one.

_http://www.visiosat.com/home/gamme/product-detail.php?cat=1&id=161

Attachments

• via-astra.jpg
    via-astra.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 192

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Yes, that dish is awesome, and of very high quality. They are multi-focus dishes, which means that - as long as you use the official brackets (there are a few variations available) - all lnbs get the same focus and the same amount of signal. However, the Visiosat Bisat is 64cmx75cm, and I suppose the 75cm allow the two or three lnbs to have their own focus point, so in effect I believe that dish act like two or three individual 60 or 65cm dishes, which will probably prove too small for 2D depending on your location. The Big Bisat is 70cmx91cm, so it might prove just a tad more suitable - but even that might be a bit on the small side for 2D, depending where you are in the South of Germany. In the southern parts of Deutschland I would expect at least a 120cm to be needed - but I might be wrong, of course.

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
7743, I've just re-read your post, and you state that you do get FreeSat on a 60cm dish. If that's the case, then the Visiosat Bisat (64x75) will be absolutely fine for you (get the G3 bracket and you'll get Astra 1, Astra 2 and Hotbird at the same time - those brackets allow for vertical movement, which allows you to fine-tune your lnbs).
However, if you want to go for a more traditional dish with a multibracket, I believe that esto is absolutely right when he says that you will need at least an 80cm dish. And in that case, yes, give the main focus to Astra2D.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I've seen a German based setup for 28E & 19E (Aswell as other birds) & it was a mesh (Yes I know perforated!!) 80cm dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Any 80 to 90cm dish will do, you can use one of the neck clamp offset brackets, easy to fit and align.

user7743

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A round dish on the side of my house
My Location
Earth
Thanks for the replies all. At the moment, my 60cm dish for Freesat alone works quite well unless there is adverse weather so given the move I would put a bigger dish up to try and improve that outside case. Rolfw - do you have an suggestion of where I could find such a bracket? I have found a few but I am not too sure about them yet.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
These are the ones I use Ebay Item number: 260800657985, you have to make sure your central LNB has a long enough neck. The Inverto black ultra is ideal for this.