astra 19.2 receiving only 8 channels?!

liquido

Reaction score
Hi guys

Have been trying to set up my system (which was preinstalled in the flat I rent) but things are not working out very well.

I changed the analogue receiver for a digital (Hirschmann CSR 60 CI) and since the system is defaulted for astra/hotbird i just did a channel scan.
Since I only picked up 8 channels (ocko tv, bible tv, Raze Tv and some other shit channels) I started to mess with the other options which led to absolutely nothing.

for some reason I receive a few more channels during night (eurosport, sky news, al jazeera, cnbc europe + 4-5 others)

what i want is to be able to see the german channels such as pro7, the rtl-channels, vox etc which I undestand should be available.

Im located in hungary and my dish meassures about 80cm.

what might be the problem....do I need a bigger dish, should i blame the "head-thing" (is it called LNB??) or might there be something else?

greatfull for any help / Thomas

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
There looks like there could be two issues here. Firstly if you have an old analogue LNB, it is likely that it will not support the higher frequencys, a universal LNB which most are these days, can go between high and low frequencies. However as it stands you should be able to get all of the low frequency stuff which is why you are picking up the frequency with bibel tv on it.

The second issue looks be be either that there is insignificant signal stength in to the receiver, hungary to me looks like it part of it could be on the edge of the reception area for ASTRA which if this is the case means that you would require a bigger dish. However I dont think that this is the case, more likely to be that the dish is moved out of alignment, cables or lnb damaged by water.

Have a look at the satellite footprint maps, I think part of hungary is in the blue, and obviously I have no idea where you are in hungary:
http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints_new.php?value=4&sat=7

Having said that an 80cm dish should be sufficient.

Its very likely that your LNB will need replacing anyway so you may as well do that, this may fix the problem, but the fact you are only getting one frequency on astra with the existing one, makes it seem like its a combination of things, rather than just down to the LNB.

liquido

Reaction score
well...the LNB it was......

the system was originally analogue so it wasnt enough with just upgrading to a digital box....the LNB has now been changed and it all works as I wish.

the funny thing is that my old LNB had a thicker waist compared to the new one but that was easily fixed with a pink towel as fill-out....looks like shit but it did work.

thanks guys

newboy45

Reaction score
My Location
East Midlands
i have two universal LNBS the primary focussed on hotbird 13degrees and the second one at astra 19.2 degrees. i had to change one of them when i upgraded my analogue to digital receiver. as the rest of the mates have suggested i think this is more an LNB probllem. i would also suggest that if you are upgrading to a universal LNB look into the option of a twin LNB one that could receive both astra and hotbird. i am not sure about the requirement in hungary but in east midlands an 80cm dish is good enough to receive both astra and hotbird. the twin LNB was priced at £29 and a switch box cost £10 here. i did not need the twin LNB as one of my earlier LNB was a universal one
If you are upgrading i think it would be worthwhile on looking at this option if the costs are comparable. you only need a switch box if you have only one input slot in your receiver.
my previous pace analogue receiver had two LNB inputs hence i did not need a swich box. unfortunately the new manhattan 3300 ci digital receiver had only one input hence the switch box was necessary. you get loads of more channels from the hotbird and the ones you have mentioned i think are avilable on hotbird and are free to air transmisson
good luck