Astra 1G

Little point in me having a go then ..
The 1.2 is partly behind a wall ..and the TD110 would be too small anyway ..
Thanks for the heads up Nelson ...I wont bother trying this evening.
rgds
VS
 
nelson_b said:
its on 1.8 - not a chance - here - with anything less. ------

cheers --

Maybe not now, but you might have got them on a 1.2m a few months ago since I did on my TD88. Just checked again and still nothing here - as expected.

I would be interested to hear if anyone in the UK is still receiving anything with a 90-100cm?

It could just be the time of the year or maybe the signal has weakened somewhat recently due to the age of the sat? Astra 1G 'is' almost 15 years old which was also its design life. I'm surprised SES are happy to keep this bird operating for regular duties, especially with no backup currently at 31.5E and the fact that they recently shut down 1H at 19.2E which is a younger sat. I'm guessing SES are hoping that 1G will last out until 5B arrives? I imagine it will be around a year or so from now until operational if they stick to a Q3 2013 launch.
 
Captain Jack said:
What *are* they doing with 1H?

Probably being kept as back up? 1H has remained at 19.2E but gone inclined, so I'm guessing that they're preserving the remaining fuel on-board in the event of a problem with one of the other birds? They must have realised that they didn't need to keep it active as they managed to transfer all services to the other birds at 19.2E.
 
Inclined already?! Didn't realise it was such an old bird. Astra 1G is older and is not in inclined orbit... Maybe they are different designs.
 
Captain Jack said:
Inclined already?! Didn't realise it was such an old bird. Astra 1G is older and is not in inclined orbit... Maybe they are different designs.

Astra 1G was launched on '2nd December 1997' and 1H '18th June 1999' according to SES. 1H should definitely still have some life left it in it, it is after all newer than 1G and even 2A which are still operating as normal, but as I said earlier, they probably wanted to use it as back up now as they obviously had the space to move everything onto the other satellites at 19.2E. Unless 1H has a problem which we are unaware about?
 
As soon as a satellite goes inclined beyond 0.15º, it's already beyond normal non-inclined operation.
You'll see it on my page: _http://members.ziggo.nl/hvdh16/Sats/Sats.htm

Hopefully fly- and lyngsat will become more accurace soon, I'm trying to convince them...

Unparsed URL [Admin}
 
Captain Jack said:
Lyngsat is saying 0.24 degrees inclined on its tracker pages.
Yes but only after you click on it, and what you see then is automatically derived from often outdated TLE data!
For example Astra 1H it says: Updated 120902, while right now TLE is available of yesterday evening!
Jens T Satre of the "Online Satellite Calculations" site has recently made _http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/satellitelist.php
It's quite overwheling but much more (or maybe always) up to date with the latest TLE's.

Edit: on the subject of this thread Astra 1G, some actual values from NL, with 100 cm Triax (slightly shaded) and Dr.HD F16:
11934V, 12090V and 12168V: 10.0 dB
12012V: 9.3 dB
12305H: 9.0 dB
So indeed 12305H is relatively weak. And old satellites can also have sharp footprints!
 
Back
Top