astra 28.2deg (sky) and hotbird at 13degrees (cyfra +)

szlapy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky box + cyfra + box
My Location
west midlands
Hi there,
I want to receive signals from these two satellites, but want to do this from a single dish. I imagine I need two LNBs and two cables running from the LNBs, one to the Sky box and the other to the Cyfra + box. Few questions now. I probably should use two individual LNBs as the twin monoblocks are spaced by 6deg only, is that correct? How big the dish should be - currently I have the Sky minidish? Any suggestions how to do it?

PS. I live in Coventry and would like to avoid motorised dish, and two decoders is not a problem.

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You'd need to change to a Dish of around 80cm to get both Satellites one one Dish.

Even though you seem to exclude the notion, a simple alternative would be to get a second Minidish just for Hotbird.

It isn't just the small size of the Sky Dish that is the problem - It's the shape. Not really conducive to multi-LNB use for Satellites that far apart in Azimuth.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It can be done on a Sky zone 2 dish,if you were desperate to keep the dish as small as possible, but not optimally, an 80cm would do it easily though. You could split the difference or bias towards Hotbird a touch if needed, for the focus.

Correct, a monoblock, has a fixed separation eg 6 degrees on an 80cm dish. Though would be no good any way because you have two receivers, and its the wrong separation.

szlapy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky box + cyfra + box
My Location
west midlands
I would be happy with 80cm dish, as long as it is only one dish and not two. So there is a good chance that 80cm dish and two individual LNBs will do the job, correct?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can source a Raven Gemini 70cm with offset bracket, that should work fine, the dish is designed for multisat use, as is the Visiosat Bisat. I have used both for those two satellites (normally with 19.2 East as well) and they provide good solid reception.

JamesA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box, SkyStar 2 TV card in PC.

Triax TD78 with off-set bracket and 3 LNB's.

Homwbrew AMD 64x2, Windows 7
My Location
Gloucestershire
Hi All, nice forum this, loads of info!

This post is exactly what i was going to ask, so thought i would reply rather than start again. Currently have SKY HD with a quad LNB and a zone 1 mini dish. Ive ordered a cheep USB receiver from ebay just to have a play about with for now and with the current dish i should be able to get the free to air service from Astra2 and Eurobird1 if im understand things right?

My next question would be if i replace my mini dish with this dish on ebay, will let me use an offset bracket to get Hotbird services from 13 east?

_http://tinyurl.com/n9bgdn

I would just get a 2nd mini dish to point at 13 east, but im a radio ham and already have more than enough aerials and wires strung down the garden so dont want to put anything else up if i can help it!

Thanks,
James

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Cheap and nasty, but will probably do the job. I would normally use a Raven Gemini 70cm and Eastern sats offset bracket and add Astra 19.2 East as well, with a four way DiSEqC switch. Many people do similar with the Triax TD68.

JamesA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Gloucestershire
Thanks for the input. I was working on the thought that it would be a better option than a sky zone 2 dish, without shelling out much cash.
Will look into the other dishes you mention too, cheers!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
JamesA said:
but im a radio ham and already have more than enough aerials and wires strung down the garden so dont want to put anything else up if i can help it!

Lots of us inhabiting this Forum ;)

JamesA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Gloucestershire
Its amazing where you bump into other hams. Was browsing a grow your own forum and met 2 there as well. Yorkshire Moores must be a great spot for radio!

73, 2E0JCA :)