astra 2d cyprus(here we go again......)

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
Well , since the instructions are to start a new thread here it is.My gear is,2.4m famaval polar mount,invacom quad ,dreambox 7000s ,plenty of patience....up to now)(-red .My location is sunny cyprus ,west limassol,(and for those who know omonia area 1km north from the beach).Since i had a dreambox 7000s with one of the worst tuners of all receivers(at least what i thought up to now)i ve never actually tried to tune to the 2d channels .After reading posts from guys here in limassol like zorba , bignick , simonskyman, and chris lim, i decided to give it a go with the intention if i got some results to move on and buy extensions for famaval and exband it up to 3.1m.At the beginning i was suprised when i managed to get signal with present gear and dreambox ,from 2d and after playing a bit more imanaged to get half picture from bbc 1 london 10.773horizontal for half an hour at 2000-2030 and partial sound.I thougt if itryed a different receiver from a friend i would get full picture.So i rushed and borrowed a pace ds430 which was supposed to be one of the best digiboxes for fringe reception outside uk.The result when i tryed to tune tobbc1 i got zero signal and picture but i managed to download rte irish tv radios on 10744h.After that i tryed with a hummy 5400 on the same hours without moving the dish.The results were a bit better ,full picture but with a few pixellations coming and going .Why is this happening. from past posts from locals here on the same matter ...zorba ie,...they mention best time for receiving bbc s 1300-1700.what could be wrong. Is dreambox better from the so called good for fringe reception ..pace 2600..?Do you think the petals will do significant difference to my present reception or no.Zorba...give as your opinion on this .When you mentioned you had reception 1300 till 1700 you meaned full picture or just signal?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Sorry maniac,my computer keeps crashing,couldnt reply earlier.I was getting a couple of hours of full signal.the ds430 is usually pretty good,better then my humax 5400 anyway.but i have a pace 2600 which is usually better.the hot humid weather might be affecting reception,or the strong winds recently might have moved your dish a bit,are you sure its perfectly aligned and in good shape?

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Hi, Maniacop,

There ain't no substitute for inches as they say !! In your location a 3m DH antenna will get you BBC/ITV almost 100% 24/7 on a DS430N.

I think you should have sold your Famaval to a "Ruskie" - as they need 2.4m and above to watch NTV - and bitten the bullet.. and bought a purpose built dish.

Sorry to be so "brutal".

I live only 6km east of you and I'm using a 3.7m Prodelin.. 3m DH's will not work 24/7 for BBC/ITV in July / August..

Now you *could* move to Paphos, and your Famaval, with it's *skirts *might come up trumps !

Take Care !

GA

maniacop32 said:
Well , since the instructions are to start a new thread here it is.My gear is,2.4m famaval polar mount,invacom quad ,dreambox 7000s ,plenty of patience....up to now)(-red .My location is sunny cyprus ,west limassol,(and for those who know omonia area 1km north from the beach).Since i had a dreambox 7000s with one of the worst tuners of all receivers(at least what i thought up to now)i ve never actually tried to tune to the 2d channels .After reading posts from guys here in limassol like zorba , bignick , simonskyman, and chris lim, i decided to give it a go with the intention if i got some results to move on and buy extensions for famaval and exband it up to 3.1m.At the beginning i was suprised when i managed to get signal with present gear and dreambox ,from 2d and after playing a bit more imanaged to get half picture from bbc 1 london 10.773horizontal for half an hour at 2000-2030 and partial sound.I thougt if itryed a different receiver from a friend i would get full picture.So i rushed and borrowed a pace ds430 which was supposed to be one of the best digiboxes for fringe reception outside uk.The result when i tryed to tune tobbc1 i got zero signal and picture but i managed to download rte irish tv radios on 10744h.After that i tryed with a hummy 5400 on the same hours without moving the dish.The results were a bit better ,full picture but with a few pixellations coming and going .Why is this happening. from past posts from locals here on the same matter ...zorba ie,...they mention best time for receiving bbc s 1300-1700.what could be wrong. Is dreambox better from the so called good for fringe reception ..pace 2600..?Do you think the petals will do significant difference to my present reception or no.Zorba...give as your opinion on this .When you mentioned you had reception 1300 till 1700 you meaned full picture or just signal?

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
your observeshions for me is a guidance since you ve had the same gear as i have now and with the extrapanels i m about to by as soon as i m sure it will work. i think the reason i cannot achieve full screen unpixalised reception of bbc s is because all my tunings were made with out the profecional sat metre .i tryed to tune my famaval with the actual tv viewing since my plate is installed 4 metres away!!!!!!! from tv set outside in my backyard garden.anyway thanks for the reply .just one more thing i need to know which receivers have you tryed when you had 2 years ago !! this receptions and what with what season-weather?hope im not bothering with all my questhions:)

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
You really should get a professional to check your dish set up first.Aligning the dish while looking through the window at you tv is good but when you stand in front of the dish with your hand on the lnb you block most of the signal,especially bbc.You need a good sat meter for the skew,distance, angle etc. I can check it for you.

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus