Astra 2D help

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec star reciever connected to 65cm fortec star dish with single lnb
My Location
London
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, new to the forums.

Recently bought the Maplins satellite kit that has a fortec star, 65cm Dish and single Lnb.

Only interested in the basic freesat channels, as we struggled to get freeview through any medium, shape or size of aerial!

Having used a needle meter/beeper to get as high pitched as possible, i scanned the astra 2a/b/d option, and was inundated with polish etc channels. However, the frequences for the freesat channels such as 10773, failed, and looking further the signal quality for them was about 5%, but i couldn't get the needle meter any higher in reading.

Living in North West London i wouldn't assume reception to be an issue for Astra 2D having read it is centered on the UK.

Anyone have any ideas why i can't get those few 2D frequences i am after?

Thanks

Ben

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, new to the forums.

Recently bought the Maplins satellite kit that has a fortec star, 65cm Dish and single Lnb.

Only interested in the basic freesat channels, as we struggled to get freeview through any medium, shape or size of aerial!

Having used a needle meter/beeper to get as high pitched as possible, i scanned the astra 2a/b/d option, and was inundated with polish etc channels. However, the frequences for the freesat channels such as 10773, failed, and looking further the signal quality for them was about 5%, but i couldn't get the needle meter any higher in reading.

Living in North West London i wouldn't assume reception to be an issue for Astra 2D having read it is centered on the UK.

Anyone have any ideas why i can't get those few 2D frequences i am after?

Thanks

Ben

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You are pointing at Hotbird 13E, or Astra 1 at 19.2E not Astra 2 at 28E!!

_http://www.flysat.com/tv-pl.php

Wang it further East and try again.

Elevation will need to go down a couple of degrees too :)

Similar frequencies used on different Satellites, hence you scan the "28E" (or whatever) label and still get results .................... but not the ones you wanted.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You are pointing at Hotbird 13E, or Astra 1 at 19.2E not Astra 2 at 28E!!

_http://www.flysat.com/tv-pl.php

Wang it further East and try again.

Elevation will need to go down a couple of degrees too :)

Similar frequencies used on different Satellites, hence you scan the "28E" (or whatever) label and still get results .................... but not the ones you wanted.

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for the polish channel link, those are some of the channels that i got so i must be pointing at hotbird instead as you said.

How come these come up when i scan under Astra 2 though?

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for the polish channel link, those are some of the channels that i got so i must be pointing at hotbird instead as you said.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Skylark320 said:

See last part of Post #2 ..............

The Receiver has no idea where the dish is pointing and a stored "Satellite" is just a label and a simple data list. Call it "Fred" , if you like.

Only you can match "Fred" to a real Satellite in the sky, by correct alignment.

The usual wrong Satellite is Astra 1 at 19.2E, but you are best placed to confirm which wrong Satellite you are on. Could be either from what you've said so far.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Skylark320 said:

See last part of Post #2 ..............

The Receiver has no idea where the dish is pointing and a stored "Satellite" is just a label and a simple data list. Call it "Fred" , if you like.

Only you can match "Fred" to a real Satellite in the sky, by correct alignment.

The usual wrong Satellite is Astra 1 at 19.2E, but you are best placed to confirm which wrong Satellite you are on. Could be either from what you've said so far.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!! :)

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
ok, well i shall pop back up there and turn it slightly east and see if i can find 28E.

And thanks for all the warm response! Kept searching but couldn't find a post similar to my issue so thought i would just sign up and give it a go!

:)

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
ok, well i shall pop back up there and turn it slightly east and see if i can find 28E.

And thanks for all the warm response! Kept searching but couldn't find a post similar to my issue so thought i would just sign up and give it a go!

:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Skylark - welcome to the forum!

We have all aligned a dish onto the wrong satellite at some point - cheer yourself with the thought that you have done the hard bit - getting any signal at all :)

Mark the bolts and mounts with a pencil so if you get hopelessly lost you have a reference point to return to.

You will need to drop the elevation of the dish a little as well.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Skylark - welcome to the forum!

We have all aligned a dish onto the wrong satellite at some point - cheer yourself with the thought that you have done the hard bit - getting any signal at all :)

Mark the bolts and mounts with a pencil so if you get hopelessly lost you have a reference point to return to.

You will need to drop the elevation of the dish a little as well.

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
hey guys, i have used a map on the internet to find desired elevation etc but i am still picking up poliwh channels etc but it is saying ok for the 10773 frequency but not finding bbc etc.

Skylark320

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
hey guys, i have used a map on the internet to find desired elevation etc but i am still picking up poliwh channels etc but it is saying ok for the 10773 frequency but not finding bbc etc.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Skylark320 said:

Ok.

I think you have moved from Hotbird @13E to Astra 1 @19.2E.

So, very much the same again: You've now gone 6 degrees further East from the first wrong position and a bit down, so go another 9 degrees East and a bit further down.

Don't worry about other resources now - just do it by experiment. You've already found two different Satellite positions, so the knack is with you.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Skylark320 said:

Ok.

I think you have moved from Hotbird @13E to Astra 1 @19.2E.

So, very much the same again: You've now gone 6 degrees further East from the first wrong position and a bit down, so go another 9 degrees East and a bit further down.

Don't worry about other resources now - just do it by experiment. You've already found two different Satellite positions, so the knack is with you.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need to swing the dish east (and down a fraction)

The smae frequency blocks are reused right around the satellite arc, so if your dish is pointing at satellite A but you tune into the frequencies of satellite B then you will get channels scanned where ever the frequencies in use coincide on the two satellites.

See if you can find the Dutch regional channels on 11914 H 27500 3/4 at 23.5E. These are a HUGE signal - you literally cant miss them. They also have the advantage thats the only frequency they are carried on.

Once you find those you are close to 28E :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need to swing the dish east (and down a fraction)

The smae frequency blocks are reused right around the satellite arc, so if your dish is pointing at satellite A but you tune into the frequencies of satellite B then you will get channels scanned where ever the frequencies in use coincide on the two satellites.

See if you can find the Dutch regional channels on 11914 H 27500 3/4 at 23.5E. These are a HUGE signal - you literally cant miss them. They also have the advantage thats the only frequency they are carried on.

Once you find those you are close to 28E :)