Exhack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish
Sky digibox
My Location
Hungary
Hi,

I'm a techno idiot located just west of Budapest. I've got a Thomson digibox and a one metre dish and I've had the card activated. I was hoping to get BBC and ITV channels on Astra 2D but the screen tells me "No Signal"on all of these, although I can get News 24 and a huge number of weird offerings.

Having trawled the forums on a number of sites it seems that it is possible to receive BBC and ITV in this part of the world. But it looks as if my dish may be too small. Also I'm wondering if my installer pointed the thing in the right direction (I told him 2D). Finally, do trees get in the way? If I can get some pictures it would seem not, but the top branches of our walnut tree are pretty close to where I suppose the beam must be.

The signal display panel shows strength at roughly 60 per cent and quality at about 75.

I'd really like to hear from anyone in the Budapest area who is receiving BBC and ITV, what size dish they got and who did the installation.

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably a 1.8 metre quality dish required for the vertical transponders, horizontal frequencies seem to be a problem, hope you've got some room there. :)

Exhack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish
Sky digibox
My Location
Hungary
Thanks for that. What is a horizontal frequency and why and for what would I need a lot of room?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For a 1.8m dish. :-doh! :)

Not being able to receive horizontal frequencies, means that certain BBC and ITV regions/channels, may not be receivable on the 1.8 metre dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A very big dish indeed if you want all the 2D channels. Hungary is odd for reception.

Ok a bit of background. Channels are transmitted on one of two polarities, horizontal and vertical. The technicalities arent important, just accept it.

_http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

shows the 2D channels - look at the frequencies on the left and note the H & V's next to them.

Now reports suggest the V channels off 2D can be receieved in Budapest with a dish about 2m in diameter. Now suppose you wanted to watch BBC 1 London on the H polarity - you would probably need a dish nearer 4 m diameter!