Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi all

Is it possible to receive Astra 2D in Ukraine? I want the BBc and ITV channels. My Gf's parents have said that I can have a bigish dish in their garden, but depends how big the dish will have to be.

She lives in Chernivtsy western Ukraine, not far from the Romanian boarder.

Longitude 25° 58' 0" E

Latitude 48° 16' 0" N

Someone who posted here could get some channels not BBC/ITV with a 1.8M in Kiev more or less central ukraine.

Hope it's possible. BBC prime is driving me mad.

Cheers.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hmmmm so my wild guess I told them. 4-5m is not far off.

:mad: blah that's one hell of a dish.

BFBS codes anyone????

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could always go to your local sat company and ask if they have any customers with a 3m motorised dish, at least they could perhaps have a go at receiving them.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
That's a good idea! Next time I am there I ask (or rather get my gf to ask)

Cheers!

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
i think you could get away with something between 1.8m -2.4m.no offence but ..guys do you know which one is ukraine on the 2d footprint link?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yep, geography is perhaps not my strongest subject, but I always check on Multimap first. :)

You're making the rather big assumption that the footprint map is accurate in all areas, even that map shows a 2.4 metre dish for the Ukraine, hence my suggestion that it is tested on a 3m dish.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Think I need to try and contact some dealers in that area of Ukraine. Not sure how easy that will be! Shame we don't have any memebers from that part of the world or even Romania ( I gues that would give a rough yay or nay answer) Kiev has lots of very large dishes, probably for the old C-band russian birds. There seems to be lots of MMDS (sp) small dish with lnb mounted in the centre No idea what services are supplied via that methord.

Another oddity were diamond and circular shaped aerials. I guess the structure was wood with wire wrapped around it.

Next time I go out there, I'll take some pics ( I should of done that on the 4 other occasions !)

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
You could go for the 2.4mx 2.7m supral offset dish russian made.that should do it with an invacom quad c120 lnb .(best for fringe reception)and the special feedhorn.Last time i visited kiev with my wife (she is local ) i saw plenty around .Must be a local agent for them i suppose._http://www.satworld.gr/supral_characteristics.htm.Price should be around $600-700.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
maniacop32 said:
i think you could get away with something between 1.8m -2.4m.no offence but ..guys do you know which one is ukraine on the 2d footprint link?

In extreme fringe reception our suggestions are always going to be guesswork. Due to the nature of the reception, signal strangths can vary wildly over a few hundred miles, so local knowledge is vital

Ukraine is a big country - I was a bit too far east, although I had the right country.

iggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PrimeFocus 180cm (Astra 1N) - Inverto Volksbox IDL6651n; MABO 115x128 (80E - 30W) - Dr.HD F16;
EchoStar 80cm (Hotbird + Astra) - Kathrein ufs910.
My Location
KRAKOW / POLAND
According to some sources there is not a chance to receive any 2D signal on anything smaller then 3,0m. In eastern Poland there have been some test carried out with a use of 2,4 offset dish and only some V transponders could be picked but there was no trace of H one's whathsoever. Considering that digiguy wants to have his system near by romanian border which is actually far more eastwords then the eastern part of Poland, in my opinion the least is 3,0m to get any watchable constant decent signal.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Thanks for all the info.

I gave the location "Chernivtsy" as near the romanian boarder as thats the best way to describe it. Shame no hot spots hit that area of the world. I guess the only alternative (expensive) is to buy a sub to providers on Hotbird and take the card out there with me. The family already have a 1.2m dish for Amos,Sirius and Hotbird.