Astra 2e / 2f / 2g footprints

sibax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HVR 4000, TT 3200, TT 1401, Openbox X800, Strong SRT DM 2100, 0.9m offset dish.
My Location
Northeast of Ukraine
Take a look there (last pages):
_http://www.ses.com/11206020/Satellite_Monitor_2011.pdf

122.jpg
123.jpg

What's your opinion?)(-red

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Looks like I may be cancelling a few Sky subscriptions once the new satellites arrive. They've gone out of their way to screw the Nordic areas even on the so-called "pan European" beam. I only hope there's another unpublished beam which favours the north a bit more.

As for the UK beam, I think if you are near the UK then just an LNB on its own will pick up a signal. :D

sibax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HVR 4000, TT 3200, TT 1401, Openbox X800, Strong SRT DM 2100, 0.9m offset dish.
My Location
Northeast of Ukraine
Eastern Europe is in "a** hole" as allways.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
sibax said:
Eastern Europe is in "a** hole" as allways.

Yeah not good, but I'm not too surprised if the south east side of Europe loses out if frequency reuse is used and the Middle East footprint interferes with it.

I only hope Astra 2C is going back to 28.2E for a while as that was good for us in northern Europe. Even in Finland by the north east Russian border I was picking up strong signals on a 60cm dish from 2C years ago.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I see the Europe footprint still covers Spain etc so the expats will still have some channels left to watch

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Very interesting indeed - though even with a steep drop off on the UK spot theres still going to be reasonable strength signals well into France and Germany.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I wonder why they don't print what's beyond the 55 dbW mark...

Satellite74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm oval dish, Invacom single LNB prime focus 28.2°E, generic quattro LNB secondary focus 19.2°E; Technisat SD receiver
My Location
Hanover, Germany
Captain Jack said:
I wonder why they don't print what's beyond the 55 dbW mark...

Those official footprints are always make-believe, either way. Just because SES promise a narrow spot beam over the UK in their promotional brochure, will not inevitably make it so in practice. The new-generation satellites may be capable of more defined beams with steeper signal drop-off on the edges; but even state of the art satellite technology can't prevent some amount of fringe reception outside the UK.

Simply put, the entertainment industry are interested in a narrow spot beam with negligible spill-over, so that's what SES have drawn a picture of in their brochure.

Ultimately, it's going to be much the same as with the run-up to 1N; we won't know until we know. It is not unlikely that the parts of Scandinavia which now still get most of Freesat will be completely out of luck. They appear to be simply too far out of the way in the future. And much the same might happen to southern France and Spain. The really interesting question is going to be what is going to happen in countries which are a bit closer to Blighty and now have decent reception with relatively small dishes. e.g. the Netherlands, Belgium, and northwestern Germany.