Astra 2E: On Hold At 43.5E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 1H is a Hughes HS-601HP and the P could mean it's the Propane powered version.
My guess is that the jet engine is a Sievert 8842.
Amazing what you can find after a liberal dose of WD40!

View attachment 60235
HP stands for High Power....
 
The Sievert 8842 is also on the tiny side ...

Torch.webp
... the one I have is only 250 W, barely enough to
melt the ice on the lock on my garage door.
No wonder the satellite movements take so long.
 
Was talking about transmit power, not engine power.
 
A full 38W per transponder. :-rofl2
The initials HP is refers to the spacecraft (evolution of the HS-601). Not the power of transponders... That's not to 38W but 98W for transponder.
 
The initials HP is refers to the spacecraft (evolution of the HS-601). Not the power of transponders... That's not to 38W but 98W for transponder.
Sorry, was thinking about 2D which was 39W per transponder, and 3A was even lower.
 
1H now showing at 32E, lets see what happens in the next 24hrs if she stops or carries on! If it stops at 31.5E, maybe SES may in the next few days begin the movement of 2E?
 
If 1H is supposed to land on 31.5E they should've initiated the orbit change already i guess. So if there would be a TLE update tonight we would know.
 
If 1H is supposed to land on 31.5E they should've initiated the orbit change already i guess. So if there would be a TLE update tonight we would know.

Maybe, maybe not 2F was shown as way past 28.2E before the TLE updated to show it stationary at 28.2E. Still let's see what tomorrow brings.
 
Maybe, maybe not 2F was shown as way past 28.2E before the TLE updated to show it stationary at 28.2E. Still let's see what tomorrow brings.
Unless waveguide can get his camera on it for us? Saying that, the moon is bright at the moment so probably a no- go until next Sunday eve when the moonrise time at his location is at or around 21.00 CET.
 
Last edited:
Using my ehm.. err.. artistic freedom too much lately I will try to get
some credibility back. Tomorrow could bring clear skies in the evening
so I will give it a try.

Yes I confess - the image from Dec 15 was not Sirius at all.
It was Astra 1N on a backdrop of The Big Dipper (Karlavagnen) with
a little propane torch added for good measure.
 
Using my ehm.. err.. artistic freedom too much lately I will try to get
some credibility back. Tomorrow could bring clear skies in the evening
so I will give it a try.

Yes I confess - the image from Dec 15 was not Sirius at all.
It was Astra 1N on a backdrop of The Big Dipper (Karlavagnen) with
a little propane torch added for good measure.

It was a good wind-up, I'll give you that. Can't wait for your contribution on April 1st!
 
When 2F moved last year the tracking sites didn't show it at 28.2E for a couple of days after it arrived, I think n2y0 showed it at 26E before the TLE updated sufficiently for it to show geostationary 28.2E. So wait and see, if it still shows as as moving in around 48 hours then it probably still is, and could reach 28.2E next Monday or 23.5E around the end of the year (wasn't 2A due to go to 23.5E).
 
Thread a bit quiet tonight after the WG wind up revelation.

At least can relax with excellent UK psb fringe broadcasts over crimbo:D
 
The bright moon (Joltungöl in ancient dialect) ruins the signal to noise ratio tonight.
The only lens that can manage this only covers 13 degrees horisontally. Thuraya & Companion
is the only reference bright enough at 44E so 32E is just about covered.

2E-dec-17.webp

Anyway, 2E is still stationary, 1H could be there somewhere in the noise but I must use
a wider lens to cover a wider angle before I can start looking for it. Some of the other satellites
are also invisible tonight (even if they have their propane torches burning!!). Makes the chase
for 1H harder, some of the references are missing.

Round About Midnight - I can see for Miles - I hope.

Sent from my Marconi Spark Gap Transmitter using Morse Code.
 
The bright moon (Joltungöl in ancient dialect) ruins the signal to noise ratio tonight.
The only lens that can manage this only covers 13 degrees horisontally. Thuraya & Companion
is the only reference bright enough at 44E so 32E is just about covered.

View attachment 60265

Anyway, 2E is still stationary, 1H could be there somewhere in the noise but I must use
a wider lens to cover a wider angle before I can start looking for it. Some of the other satellites
are also invisible tonight (even if they have their propane torches burning!!). Makes the chase
for 1H harder, some of the references are missing.

Round About Midnight - I can see for Miles - I hope.

Sent from my Marconi Spark Gap Transmitter using Morse Code.
Looking at the moon phases for your location it seems Sunday night onwards looks better as the moon won't rise until 2100 local time, by Christmas Eve it's much later still but hopefully by then we'll also have TLE updates to see where 1H appears to be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top