Astra 2E: Scandinavia & Baltics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claus! We had GI-209P LNBFs in the shops, I think that price was less than 11 EUR. I have sent such an LNBFs to several members already and can try to do it for you as well. GI-209P has star-holder in the set, it will look like this

Hi @RimaNTSS

If You could send me a set, that would be great. Send me Your payment details and I will send You an address.

Thanks a lot :-)

Claus
 
Hi @st1I wonder if this:
Inverto IDLP-SINF02-OOPRO-OPP Single Flansch LNB 0.2dB | LNB Flansch | LNB | Digitale Sat-Receiver, Anlagen und Zubehör - hm-sat-shop.de"Inverto IDLP-SINF02-OOPRO-OPP Single Flansch LNB 0.2dB | LNB Flansch | LNB | Digitale Sat-Receiver, Anlagen und Zubehör - hm-sat-shop.de
would do the trick?
Yes, that will do fine, but you need a feed-horn to go with it (it's just an LN:cool:.
The feed-horn needs to have a C120 interface (as this is what the LNB has).
If lucky, the native feedhorn from Cosmos has a C120 interface, and you can start by using that.
Alternatively, you need to find a Ku-band PF feedhorn for a PF dish.
These are relatively rare on the European market, the most readily available these days seems to the Global Invacom PF Ku-band feed-horn.
(I had one myself some years ago, but gave it away when the PF dish died).
 
Ok. It looks like @RimaNTSS will send me a GI-209P. (Thanks a lot :) ) So I'm going to try with that one firstly. Thanks for all Your help. I'll be sure to report back with my progress.

Here's my signal strength with the 125cm Gib at the moment

upload_2017-4-18_17-6-24.webp

(Below the red line the dB value is mostly a guess as my STB can't measure anything below ~4dB )
 
Last edited:
Good graph @skaarup75 . Only one observation: Gibertini 125 does not necessary mean it is 125cm dish ;). It is more 1.2m than 1.25m.
 
Good graph @skaarup75 . Only one observation: Gibertini 125 does not necessary mean it is 125cm dish ;). It is more 1.2m than 1.25m.
Right on. The OPL125 is a 1.2m effective offset dish.
And a reasonably good one at that...
One thing @skaarup75 could try before he gets all absorbed in the 1.8m PF is this:

@John found that the rear fixing for his OPL125 did not match the actual shape of the dish.
This meant that shape of the dish was in fact distorted slightly when all bolt were tightened.
Perhaps it is worth trying loosening the bolts that attach the reflector to the mount, and carefully fasten the top and bottom bolts (but not the middle ones!)
Then check if there is a gap between the reflector and the mount.
If there is a slight gap, then check what reception is possible over a 24 hour period.
You might find a dB or so somewhere along the graph!

(But maybe not - it depends on many factors, of course).
 
That's interesteing @st1 I'll look into it when i get home.
 
That's interesteing @st1 I'll look into it when i get home.

Well that didn't do much. In fact the signal got worse. I guess the dish is aligned more or less perfectly :-)
 
Well that didn't do much. In fact the signal got worse. I guess the dish is aligned more or less perfectly :)
Well - it was worth a try. Hard to predict the outcome...
Just out of couriosity: Did the dish "leave" the shape of the bracket and leave a gap?

I have a 125 here too, and will try the same in the near future.
 
Well - it was worth a try. Hard to predict the outcome...
Just out of couriosity: Did the dish "leave" the shape of the bracket and leave a gap?

No gap. At least not more than You would expect when loosening the bolts. About a millimeter.
 
What are your signal levels for 10906V ......

Sorry, can't give you a reading, am 3000 km's away from the dish :O)
All I can say, anything & everything from 28e is zero problem (in any weather condition) with the cm 180 in Bergen.
 
Damn it's not easy setting up a 1.8m prime focus. After I dug down the foundation and got it all level I fastened the dish to the polar mount and started searching for satellites. I started by finding Eurobird 9 on 9 east. It seems like a good starting point as this satellite is very nearly due south from my location. I'm on 8'52"E.
After fine tuning azimuth and elevation I only manage to get around 9dB on EBS on 11900H 9East. This is with the LNB @st1 told me to throw away. Really hope the GI-209 gives very different results.

I do have a suspicion that the lnb is faulty, though. On 10758V on Astra 1 the signal strength fluctuated between 10dB and 0. On a higher frequency (can't remember precisely byt above 10720) the signal strength was stable, but still low.

Hoping for better results with the right lnb.
 
Damn it's not easy setting up a 1.8m prime focus. After I dug down the foundation and got it all level I fastened the dish to the polar mount and started searching for satellites. I started by finding Eurobird 9 on 9 east. It seems like a good starting point as this satellite is very nearly due south from my location. I'm on 8'52"E.
After fine tuning azimuth and elevation I only manage to get around 9dB on EBS on 11900H 9East. This is with the LNB @st1 told me to throw away. Really hope the GI-209 gives very different results.

I do have a suspicion that the lnb is faulty, though. On 10758V on Astra 1 the signal strength fluctuated between 10dB and 0. On a higher frequency (can't remember precisely byt above 10720) the signal strength was stable, but still low.

Hoping for better results with the right lnb.
Don't expect miracles.
But the right feed-horn and LNB will maximise you possibilities.
A 180 cm dish is good - I have one here for 28.5E (offset, nonetheless), but it will not necessarily deliveron all frequencies.
Some of the 2G stuff share frequencies on H and V polarisation. The more shallow the dish the better...

In other words: Looking very much forward to your experiences and findings!
 
Well I received the GI-209P today. Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first. I did manage to fit the lnb to the home made holder that came with the dish. Result: Astra 2E Euro beams now come in at almost the same strength as on the Gibertini OP125. Managed to get 16dB on the strongest tp. (I get 17 on the Gib). No UK beam yet.
So I'm not there yet. I think I can squeeze some extra dBs out of the dish. Pushing the lnb closer to the dish increased signal strength, but I need to modify the holder first. The lnb is pushed as much forward as possible with the current holder. I need something like this holder I think: http://www.primesat.eu/pimages/primesatfeedboss01lg.jpg but it's almost impossible to find for sale anywhere.
 
Well I received the GI-209P today. Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first. I did manage to fit the lnb to the home made holder that came with the dish. Result: Astra 2E Euro beams now come in at almost the same strength as on the Gibertini OP125. Managed to get 16dB on the strongest tp. (I get 17 on the Gib). No UK beam yet.
So I'm not there yet. I think I can squeeze some extra dBs out of the dish. Pushing the lnb closer to the dish increased signal strength, but I need to modify the holder first. The lnb is pushed as much forward as possible with the current holder. I need something like this holder I think: http://www.primesat.eu/pimages/primesatfeedboss01lg.jpg but it's almost impossible to find for sale anywhere.

Feedhorns. Feedhorn for satellite dish. Ku band feedhorns. C Band feedhorns, Prime focus & offset feedhorns. Low prices. You should find one here I think it's the same
 
Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first.
Why? Could you show some picture of the rods? And, if you see some continuation for your project, it might be good idea to create separate thread for it :)
 
gibby 150 1.webp
gibby 150 2.webp

Got a good deal on a gibby 150 purchase, relocated since these piccies due too sat. shadow from roof eaves.

Well pleased
 
Very nice, congrats, 28e better\good on it?
& you got a beautiful location for the house!
 
Very nice, congrats, 28e better\good on it?

Much improved 28E reception, 150 Gibby dish and a Captain Jack`s (GI) lnb just need too source a decent sat reciever.

But as the saying goes "" one step at a time "" :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top