skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 aimed at Astra 2E 28,5 East
Wavetoroidal T55 5w 4.8e 9e 13e 19.2e
Receiver: Octagon sf4008
My Location
NW Denmark
Claus! We had GI-209P LNBFs in the shops, I think that price was less than 11 EUR. I have sent such an LNBFs to several members already and can try to do it for you as well. GI-209P has star-holder in the set, it will look like this

Hi @RimaNTSS

If You could send me a set, that would be great. Send me Your payment details and I will send You an address.

Thanks a lot :-)

Claus

A

archive10

Hi @st1I wonder if this:
Inverto IDLP-SINF02-OOPRO-OPP Single Flansch LNB 0.2dB | LNB Flansch | LNB | Digitale Sat-Receiver, Anlagen und Zubehör - hm-sat-shop.de"Inverto IDLP-SINF02-OOPRO-OPP Single Flansch LNB 0.2dB | LNB Flansch | LNB | Digitale Sat-Receiver, Anlagen und Zubehör - hm-sat-shop.de
would do the trick?
Yes, that will do fine, but you need a feed-horn to go with it (it's just an LN:cool:.
The feed-horn needs to have a C120 interface (as this is what the LNB has).
If lucky, the native feedhorn from Cosmos has a C120 interface, and you can start by using that.
Alternatively, you need to find a Ku-band PF feedhorn for a PF dish.
These are relatively rare on the European market, the most readily available these days seems to the Global Invacom PF Ku-band feed-horn.
(I had one myself some years ago, but gave it away when the PF dish died).

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
Ok. It looks like @RimaNTSS will send me a GI-209P. (Thanks a lot :) ) So I'm going to try with that one firstly. Thanks for all Your help. I'll be sure to report back with my progress.

Here's my signal strength with the 125cm Gib at the moment

upload_2017-4-18_17-6-24.png

(Below the red line the dB value is mostly a guess as my STB can't measure anything below ~4dB )

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Good graph @skaarup75 . Only one observation: Gibertini 125 does not necessary mean it is 125cm dish ;). It is more 1.2m than 1.25m.

A

archive10

Good graph @skaarup75 . Only one observation: Gibertini 125 does not necessary mean it is 125cm dish ;). It is more 1.2m than 1.25m.
Right on. The OPL125 is a 1.2m effective offset dish.
And a reasonably good one at that...
One thing @skaarup75 could try before he gets all absorbed in the 1.8m PF is this:

@John found that the rear fixing for his OPL125 did not match the actual shape of the dish.
This meant that shape of the dish was in fact distorted slightly when all bolt were tightened.
Perhaps it is worth trying loosening the bolts that attach the reflector to the mount, and carefully fasten the top and bottom bolts (but not the middle ones!)
Then check if there is a gap between the reflector and the mount.
If there is a slight gap, then check what reception is possible over a 24 hour period.
You might find a dB or so somewhere along the graph!

(But maybe not - it depends on many factors, of course).

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
That's interesteing @st1 I'll look into it when i get home.

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
That's interesteing @st1 I'll look into it when i get home.

Well that didn't do much. In fact the signal got worse. I guess the dish is aligned more or less perfectly :-)

A

archive10

Well that didn't do much. In fact the signal got worse. I guess the dish is aligned more or less perfectly :)
Well - it was worth a try. Hard to predict the outcome...
Just out of couriosity: Did the dish "leave" the shape of the bracket and leave a gap?

I have a 125 here too, and will try the same in the near future.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Just out of couriosity: Did the dish "leave" the shape of the bracket and leave a gap?

Nope and signal degradation on mine also :-ohcrap

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
Well - it was worth a try. Hard to predict the outcome...

No gap. At least not more than You would expect when loosening the bolts. About a millimeter.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
What are your signal levels for 10906V ......

Sorry, can't give you a reading, am 3000 km's away from the dish :O)
All I can say, anything & everything from 28e is zero problem (in any weather condition) with the cm 180 in Bergen.

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
Damn it's not easy setting up a 1.8m prime focus. After I dug down the foundation and got it all level I fastened the dish to the polar mount and started searching for satellites. I started by finding Eurobird 9 on 9 east. It seems like a good starting point as this satellite is very nearly due south from my location. I'm on 8'52"E.
After fine tuning azimuth and elevation I only manage to get around 9dB on EBS on 11900H 9East. This is with the LNB @st1 told me to throw away. Really hope the GI-209 gives very different results.

I do have a suspicion that the lnb is faulty, though. On 10758V on Astra 1 the signal strength fluctuated between 10dB and 0. On a higher frequency (can't remember precisely byt above 10720) the signal strength was stable, but still low.

Hoping for better results with the right lnb.

A

archive10

Damn it's not easy setting up a 1.8m prime focus. After I dug down the foundation and got it all level I fastened the dish to the polar mount and started searching for satellites. I started by finding Eurobird 9 on 9 east. It seems like a good starting point as this satellite is very nearly due south from my location. I'm on 8'52"E.
After fine tuning azimuth and elevation I only manage to get around 9dB on EBS on 11900H 9East. This is with the LNB @st1 told me to throw away. Really hope the GI-209 gives very different results.

I do have a suspicion that the lnb is faulty, though. On 10758V on Astra 1 the signal strength fluctuated between 10dB and 0. On a higher frequency (can't remember precisely byt above 10720) the signal strength was stable, but still low.

Hoping for better results with the right lnb.
Don't expect miracles.
But the right feed-horn and LNB will maximise you possibilities.
A 180 cm dish is good - I have one here for 28.5E (offset, nonetheless), but it will not necessarily deliveron all frequencies.
Some of the 2G stuff share frequencies on H and V polarisation. The more shallow the dish the better...

In other words: Looking very much forward to your experiences and findings!

skaarup75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Denmark
Well I received the GI-209P today. Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first. I did manage to fit the lnb to the home made holder that came with the dish. Result: Astra 2E Euro beams now come in at almost the same strength as on the Gibertini OP125. Managed to get 16dB on the strongest tp. (I get 17 on the Gib). No UK beam yet.
So I'm not there yet. I think I can squeeze some extra dBs out of the dish. Pushing the lnb closer to the dish increased signal strength, but I need to modify the holder first. The lnb is pushed as much forward as possible with the current holder. I need something like this holder I think: http://www.primesat.eu/pimages/primesatfeedboss01lg.jpg but it's almost impossible to find for sale anywhere.

Cala d'or

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 70cm , Sky hd in uk . CM 1.2 & 1 m at work various stbs for footy , 1.8m Prodelin in Mallorca and foxsat HDR
My Location
Lancs uk , Mallorca Spain
Well I received the GI-209P today. Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first. I did manage to fit the lnb to the home made holder that came with the dish. Result: Astra 2E Euro beams now come in at almost the same strength as on the Gibertini OP125. Managed to get 16dB on the strongest tp. (I get 17 on the Gib). No UK beam yet.
So I'm not there yet. I think I can squeeze some extra dBs out of the dish. Pushing the lnb closer to the dish increased signal strength, but I need to modify the holder first. The lnb is pushed as much forward as possible with the current holder. I need something like this holder I think: http://www.primesat.eu/pimages/primesatfeedboss01lg.jpg but it's almost impossible to find for sale anywhere.

Feedhorns. Feedhorn for satellite dish. Ku band feedhorns. C Band feedhorns, Prime focus & offset feedhorns. Low prices. You should find one here I think it's the same

Cala d'or

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 70cm , Sky hd in uk . CM 1.2 & 1 m at work various stbs for footy , 1.8m Prodelin in Mallorca and foxsat HDR
My Location
Lancs uk , Mallorca Spain

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Unfortunately the holder didn't fit on the rods. Needs some modification first.
Why? Could you show some picture of the rods? And, if you see some continuation for your project, it might be good idea to create separate thread for it :)

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
gibby 150 1.jpg
gibby 150 2.jpg

Got a good deal on a gibby 150 purchase, relocated since these piccies due too sat. shadow from roof eaves.

Well pleased

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Very nice, congrats, 28e better\good on it?
& you got a beautiful location for the house!

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Very nice, congrats, 28e better\good on it?

Much improved 28E reception, 150 Gibby dish and a Captain Jack`s (GI) lnb just need too source a decent sat reciever.

But as the saying goes "" one step at a time "" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.