Astra 2E: Scandinavia & Baltics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably in the wrong thread here but.... If i manage to connect to the bbc and itv i player`s would i then be able to stream good quality live tv direct to my internet t.v ? just a thought as they have dissapeared from my sky hd box. Thanks in advance good folk.
 
"Good quality" would depend on your broadband connection speed.

The iplayers are geolocked so you would need a UK based vpn - preferably one dedicated to one user - sky seem to be restricting out the usual multi user vpns
 
Ok, today I mounted a 110cm dish that a friend had kicking around in place of my 100cm. I didn't think it would make any difference but thought it was worth a go. BBC 1 and BBC HD still dropped out at about 1900 C.E.T. but faded in and out a lot more than it did with the old one. Anyway as of now (22.00 CET) I am still without 1,2,3,4 and 5 but can still get ITV 2 and ITV 3 in HD but not ITV or ITV HD.....anyone know why this is and is it possible to add it somehow?
 
I think we are up to date to here on this thread now.
 
I see, but as I can receive 1234 and 5 all ok during the day does it mean that I'm likely to pull these channels in with a larger dish such as a 1.8m?
 
Difficult to say - sometime you need to go up 2 or 3 dish sizes to get an acceptable signal all day.

There is a report east of you that things are ok on a 2m dish, HOWEVER things can be vastly different over a few km with these new satellites. (One of the Spanish based lads has been out mobile with a 1.9m dish and found vastly different signals over 4 or 5 km!)

The only sure way of finding out is to either hope for a successful report from someone very close, or bite the bullet and buy a dish and hope for the best.
 
Do you know where exactly he is based using a 2m dish and he is saying that all channels are coming in?
 
No 2E or 2F UK spot or Europe beams on a TD88 dish and Pace 2600C1 near Kuusamo, northern Finland. Looks like once 2A and 28A are taken out of service I can remove the Sky receiver from this location and realign to another satellite.
 
No chance of putting a larger dish there? It's a nice part of the world there, so loss of TV wouldn't bother me too much!
 
No chance of putting a larger dish there? It's a nice part of the world there, so loss of TV wouldn't bother me too much!
Not worth the effort to be honest. If I was there for longer periods I'd give it a go but it's so far out of the official reception area there's probably not much chance anyway without using silly sizes (although I've always been puzzled as to why I could get 2A/2B South so far north on a 85cm). Since we've got decent internet speeds we now have a SmartDNS solution that works well for iPlayer, 4od, etc, in preparation for the loss of Sky.
 
Last edited:
Are all the SKY channels likely to move over to this new satellite.....and lose them aswell?
 
If you can get the 2E/2F Europe beam you'll be OK for most Sky channels. 2A and 28A will probably be gone by the end of the year once the last of the new satellites, 2G, is launched later in the year.
 
Sky will be expecting a lot of cancelled subscriptions then i guess!
 
Sky will be expecting a lot of cancelled subscriptions then i guess!

If 2G Europe beam will be used it should reach better into the southern half of Norway than 2E and 2F.
 
I have upgraded my equipment now and I have steady reception of the UK spot beam on Astra 2E, my location is 15 km east of Gothenburg, Sweden. I bought a new Triax TD 110 and Inverto Black Ultra single. I get the SD-channels on Astra 2E 24/7, the HD-channels have little weather margin. There does not seem to be any difference in signal strength between the V and H polarizations.

However, I get all the channels on Astra 2F without any interuptions.

The reason for me to buy a dish that I knew would be almost too small for the HD channels on Astra 2E (based on bema's measurements) was 1) economical, 2) an effort not to upset my neighbors (my wife likes technical stuff though ;-) ), 3) uncertainty about possible upcoming changes with the launch of Astra 2g. The required investment for my new equipment was about EUR 100. In order to buy a larger dish with a good track record, e.g. a Gibertini 125, the required investment would have been close to 500 EUR. I think the price for a Gibertini 125 is quite high in Sweden compared to other markets, about EUR 350 for the dish only.
 
Last edited:
sorry guys but I'm getting confused! :( what satellite should my dish actually be pointing at ...2e or 2f? I only have the signal meter on my sky box for setting the dish so i have no idea where my signal is coming from
 
2E and 2F are co-located and effectively in the same place so you will be pointing at both.
 
sorry guys but I'm getting confused! :( what satellite should my dish actually be pointing at ...2e or 2f? I only have the signal meter on my sky box for setting the dish so i have no idea where my signal is coming from
see www.flysat.com/28east.php , http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

To align the dish, maybe try first to get the best possible out of one the stronger signals like 11934 V (2E eu, Sky Intro) then do the fine adjustment on the uk freq. Adjustment can be critical down to the last cm\mm !

As before with my 90cm, 2E uk stronger than 2F uk & weaker\loss in the evening. All the eu beams are fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top