Not open for further replies.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
^^^ yes, same here, 2E was much better yesterday evening, and excellent today daytime. 2F better as well (maybe we should not publish this, 'someone' will read it and make some changes to the beam lol )

Attachments

• 818.JPG
    818.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Confirming 2E levels much improved here lately, after the low level period some time ago. All BBC & ITV fine 24\24. A major storm wrecked all my meticulous adjustments, could even see the dish surface bend during the worst wind, but survived and now well tuned again, after many trips out in the night with flashlight and spanners. Starting to learn about the joys of fringe satellite reception :O) Am amazed at how extremely sensitive it all is regarding proper adjustment, especially elevation.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Am amazed at how extremely sensitive it all is regarding proper adjustment, especially elevation.
Yeah it is, sometimes the adjustments are so fine I don't think I can see the dish move with my eyes yet there's a decent change in levels.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
After experiencing how sensitive my dish is about elevation on 28.2, as a test patched together this fine-adjuster. Function before looks :O) Made from stuff I found in drawers (a car exhaust clamp, 3 nuts and a bolt, held together with silver-bronze weld). Works fine & great control, +\- 2 cm at the adjuster point.

adj1.jpg adj2.jpg

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
A couple of weeks ago we had quite stable reception even on the hd channels on the weaker ASTRA 2e satellite. Now things have changed and the ASTRA 2e sd and the 2f hd channels break for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. I live just East of the first nill line. Has it moved slightly?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
^^^ Better than ever here, agree something have changed (sorry it looks like it's to your detriment). Strength has improved steadily since the low level period experienced in the beginning of the year. Even the elusive 2F UK is fine. And snow\rain\storms been no hindrance.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
A small March report (Freesat), 2E UK still excellent, incl. HD's.

2F UK back to 'normal' behavior > well below lock for some hours in the evening.

All EU's on 28° (incl. those moved from 2A) very good signal.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
An anecdote, have tested a number of LNB's, the very best so far for low levels on my setup is an old Triax picked up from my neighbor's trash, around 15 years old & not used for 10 years or so. Fitted it just for fun to see how bad it would behave compared to the then current MTI highline quad, an was amazed.

Not a chance result, spent time with adjustments, tried 2 other MTI's, a newer Triax quad and more, results (picture lock at low levels) always clearly superior with the trashbin Triax. lol.

2x Inverto BU Quad are in the post, will post some findings when tested, they 'should' kill the old Triax, will be interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 24

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Inverto Black Ultra quad up for some days, it's very good. Some %'s better than the previous winner (Triax TQD 004). Levels up all over, under various conditions, 2E UK was fine before but now got higher quality & more margin. 2F UK still gone for some hours in the evening, but with improved reception time.

So the time spent confirms LNB's do matter in getting the most possible of a dish setup in fringe areas. But only up to a certain point where a larger dish (or giving up) is the remedy, in my case 2F evening reception (not important). All the EU transp. are excellent, whatever lnb was used.

Picture, L to R by order of preference (all good LNB's): Inverto BU, Triax TQD 004, MTI AK54-XT2E, MTI AK54-XT2N. Have tried others, some showing obvious problems (on my setup): large V\H level differences, not coping with rain\weather, general low level, 'holes' at certain frequencies.

To sum up the BU, good results all over here, very even across frequencies & V/H, the long neck also useful.

Attachments

• lnb.JPG
    lnb.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 26
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 25

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Inverto Black Ultra quad up for some days, it's very good. Some %'s better than the previous winner (Triax TQD 004). Levels up all over, under various conditions, 2E UK was fine before but now got higher quality & more margin. 2F UK still gone for some hours in the evening, but with improved reception time.

Interesting and great you got good results. I found the BU Quad is good but I found the BU Single and Opticum LQP-04H Quad worked better on my 85cm setup for the frequencies I need (no UK beam).

Incidentally, has anyone noticed a change in Astra 2E signal levels over the past few days? I've seen a good improvement on two dishes at different locations in Helsinki. Transponders that where just below or drifting in and out of lock are now OK all day with just some breakup in the evenings, some have gone up by nearly 1dB which is a lot when you are on the digital cliff edge. Usually the strongest 2E transponders fade out at lunch time for me. I assume this is some kind of temporary spring satellite adjustments.

I haven't noticed much recent change in Astra 2F signal levels.

Nalleman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,8 Channel Master, Black Pro LNB with CM feedhorn for 28 E which is my main interest when watching TV. VU+ DUO 4K SE, VU+ DUO 2, Octagon SF8008 and Vantage 8000 S and TS receivers. Fixed dishes at: 42 E (0,75 m), 28,2/28,5 E (1,8 m), 19,2 E (1,5 m), 13 E (1,1 m), 9 E (0,7 m), 5 E (1,2 m) and 1 W (0,7 m).
My Location
Sweden
I've noticed the signals from 2E and 2F european beams have improved recent days.
For example 12 304 H was about 87-88 % after the transfer from 2A to 2F. Now it is a the same level as 2A northern beam: SNR 99 % in all weather conditions. 12 544 H is 97 % compared to 87-88 % earlier.
Has SES increased the transmitting power or has the coverage changed? Is the signal stronger in Finland too?

I'm in Motala (southern parts of Sweden) using a CM 1,8 meter antenna and a Black Ultra LNB combined with a
VU+ DUO2.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I've noticed the signals from 2E and 2F european beams have improved recent days.
For example 12 304 H was about 87-88 % after the transfer from 2A to 2F. Now it is a the same level as 2A northern beam: SNR 99 % in all weather conditions. 12 544 H is 97 % compared to 87-88 % earlier.
Has SES increased the transmitting power or has the coverage changed? Is the signal stronger in Finland too?

I'm in Motala (southern parts of Sweden) using a CM 1,8 meter antenna and a Black Ultra LNB combined with a
VU+ DUO2.

Signals are up by about 1dB in Helsinki, Finland on my 85cm on 2E Europe. They are also better on the 1.8m too. My guess is it's just the spring satellite shift. I'm sure the signals will change again sometime.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
I've noticed the signals from 2E and 2F european beams have improved recent days. For example 12 304 H.

12304 H (& some more) seems slightly up here too, 2e 0r 2f? flysat lists it on 2e, kingofsat on 2f.
& 2e\2f eu stronger than e28a here.

Interesting and great you got good results. I found the BU Quad is good but I found the BU Single and Opticum LQP-04H Quad worked better on my 85cm setup for the frequencies I need (no UK beam).

Thanks. May try some more lnb's over time (interesting hobby this!). Very happy now, am especially impressed by the BU quad's even output across all frequencies. Reason for going quad is a plan to get some more receivers and having ample recording facilities. Am usually ending up with the house full of stuff each time I get interested by something lol.

The 2f uk evening signal loss is massive, levels go down to approx 15% in the evening, approx 85% daytime (bargraph on my 'measuring receiver'), no lnb can be of any help for that, must be a clear candidate for a larger dish if I ever need stable reception from that beam.

You got hit hard over there in Finland! The 2E\2F uk beams, then 2A replaced by more restricted EU beams, then the proxy not working, and maybe more problems when 2G gets active! Strange those new socalled "Europe beams" don't take care of a better part of Scandinavia, it's a part of Europe, no?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
You got hit hard over there in Finland! The 2E\2F uk beams, then 2A replaced by more restricted EU beams, then the proxy not working, and maybe more problems when 2G gets active! Strange those new socalled "Europe beams" don't take care of a better part of Scandinavia, it's a part of Europe, no?
Certainly seems like someone at SES doesn't like the Nordic area, even 1N is a bit of a pain up north.

Br492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25x1,40 movable alu dish now pointing Astra 2 off center Astra 3
75cm center Astra 1 off center HotBird.
More to come
My Location
Preveza West Greece
Like southeast "europe?",someone doesn't even care for the thousands expats in Greece (Corfu,kefalonia,Zante,Crete do have something ,those in Rhodes kos and at least east Crete are lost) and in Cyprus.i don't think that is at the general mood of hating Greeks.for European beams without northern and Southern Europe it could be more decent to call them widespot beams

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
This evening lost all 2E uk (& 2F uk, but that is normal). Tried nudging the dish and tested some lnb's to no avail. Have had good reception for many months. Came back strong a few hours later. Maybe weather related, will check the coming evenings.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
4wd This evening lost all 2E uk

Astra 2E UK beam psb channels are affected by sats wobble in its allocated box position with fringe reception:D

Central southern norway 125 gibby techno 5402mk3 middle of day sig q 67% and lock evenings no lock.

Have said it before need a larger dish but so long as I can stream these uk channels to a 40" tv WHY

http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/satellitemotion.php?26/171/0/39285

Regards

Last edited:

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
4wd This evening lost all 2E uk
Astra 2E UK beam psb channels are affected by sats wobble in its allocated box position with fringe reception:D
Central southern norway 125 gibby techno 5402mk3 middle of day sig q 67% and lock evenings no lock.
Have said it before need a larger dish but so long as I can stream these uk channels to a 40" tv WHY
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/satellitemotion.php?26/171/0/39285
Regards

2E uk back to it's normal good levels here, must have been some weather stuff yesterday.

Thanks for the satellite-calculations.com link, can't figure out much ftm, tried to work out from the charts why 2E uk is very stable here while 2F uk has it's massive evening drop.

Got Filmon (free) and Hola, they work fine. But using those only I'd really miss the challenge\problem solving\hobby of sat reception :O)

Attachments

• 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 9

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Thanks for the satellite-calculations.com link, can't figure out much ftm, tried to work out from the charts why 2E uk is very stable here while 2F uk has it's massive evening drop.
Could just be something simple like you are in the centre of a sweet spot for 2E so the wobble isn't noticeable but you are closer to the edge of the signal for 2F so the wobble swings the reception in and out of your area.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Could just be something simple like you are in the centre of a sweet spot for 2E so the wobble isn't noticeable but you are closer to the edge of the signal for 2F so the wobble swings the reception in and out of your area.

Yes, 2F uk evening beam probably drifts out to sea somewhere. 2E uk still fine, incl. HD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.