Astra 2E: Testing at 43.5E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a strong PE beam
Also,reading these reports,the UK beam seems limited to the lowest band as previously used by Astra 2d
I wonder if SES have an agreement to keep UK spotbeam use in Band D to prevent interference to other operators (like Arabsat) who also use that spectrum in the Middle East? If this is the case then there's little point testing widebeam use on Band D, that's if 2E is even designed to do so?
 
I think the satellites are not that flexible as anticipated. For example Astra 2F broadcast the interim transponders via the Spotbeam on Band C, while the final transponders are PE beam. I take a bet, Astra 2F simply cannot broadcast the PE beam on Band C. Same with Astra 2E - no PE beam below 10.95 GHz. It makes the satellite simpler, which is always a good thing when you built something you cannot repair. 2E then provides PE capacity in Band C, so in this band both footprints can be offered. Spot by 2F, PE by 2E. Band D remains Spot only. Sounds logical, 32 TPs potentially spot beam capacity, half of it also usable as PE.
 
I think the satellites are not that flexible as anticipated. For example Astra 2F broadcast the interim transponders via the Spotbeam on Band C, while the final transponders are PE beam. I take a bet, Astra 2F simply cannot broadcast the PE beam on Band C. Same with Astra 2E - no PE beam below 10.95 GHz. It makes the satellite simpler, which is always a good thing when you built something you cannot repair. 2E then provides PE capacity in Band C, so in this band both footprints can be offered. Spot by 2F, PE by 2E. Band D remains Spot only. Sounds logical, 32 TPs potentially spot beam capacity, half of it also usable as PE.
I've been suspecting the same thing. Not sure where the idea originally came from that these satellites could switch between any beams but they certainly don't seem to want to use the capacity if it is available. The only downside I can see to having the beams more fixed like this is they are slightly less flexible as backup satellites for other slots, like 19.2E.
 
looking at the shape of the 2E and 2F PE footprints, I think they were never planned as back up satellites for other positions. 2G however might be, it again as has a "normal" PE beam.

I wonder are there any SES satellites which can switch their beams ? Did that ever happen?
 
The only downside I can see to having the beams more fixed like this is they are slightly less flexible as backup satellites

i agree surely its better if the 2F/2E craft can operate in all sub bands 10.7 to 12.75 incase there are failures of transponders on other craft/1 of the new craft.. no doubt SES/Astrium know what they are doing
 
looking at the shape of the 2E and 2F PE footprints, I think they were never planned as back up satellites for other positions. 2G however might be, it again as has a "normal" PE beam.

I wonder are there any SES satellites which can switch their beams ? Did that ever happen?
There's a lot of wasted signal going into the Atlantic on 2F/2E. I bet they could use the Euro beams to cover the essential areas like Germany, France and Spain if needed in an emergency. I'm sure the Polish and Canaries blobs on the PE beam are no coincidence either.
 
ok in an emergency, that's right. But not like good old 2C which has been everywhere on a quite regular basis ....
 
ok in an emergency, that's right. But not like good old 2C which has been everywhere on a quite regular basis ....
Yes, I suspect 2G might be the new 2C...
 
I think the satellites are not that flexible as anticipated. For example Astra 2F broadcast the interim transponders via the Spotbeam on Band C, while the final transponders are PE beam. I take a bet, Astra 2F simply cannot broadcast the PE beam on Band C. Same with Astra 2E - no PE beam below 10.95 GHz. It makes the satellite simpler, which is always a good thing when you built something you cannot repair. 2E then provides PE capacity in Band C, so in this band both footprints can be offered. Spot by 2F, PE by 2E. Band D remains Spot only. Sounds logical, 32 TPs potentially spot beam capacity, half of it also usable as PE.
I agree
 
I think the satellites are not that flexible as anticipated. For example Astra 2F broadcast the interim transponders via the Spotbeam on Band C, while the final transponders are PE beam. I take a bet, Astra 2F simply cannot broadcast the PE beam on Band C. Same with Astra 2E - no PE beam below 10.95 GHz. It makes the satellite simpler, which is always a good thing when you built something you cannot repair. 2E then provides PE capacity in Band C, so in this band both footprints can be offered. Spot by 2F, PE by 2E. Band D remains Spot only. Sounds logical, 32 TPs potentially spot beam capacity, half of it also usable as PE.
That does make sense, I'm not sure though whether some of the higher frequency Band A and B beams will be spot/wide switchable though as I'm sure I read somewhere on a press release that they could be switched either way? We think, not confirmed but only through reports on here, that some of the testing in Bands A and B have also been spotbeam so a possibility.

PS: the tracking sites have finally caught up with 2E, now showing in full GSO and at 43.5E -but we all knew that!!
 
That does make sense, I'm not sure though whether some of the higher frequency Band A and B beams will be spot/wide switchable though as I'm sure I read somewhere on a press release that they could be switched either way? We think, not confirmed but only through reports on here, that some of the testing in Bands A and B have also been spotbeam so a possibility.

PS: the tracking sites have finally caught up with 2E, now showing in full GSO and at 43.5E -but we all knew that!!
It seems from reports that currently only Band D has been tested on UK beam
 
I receive quite strong carrier on 12400V right now
 

Attachments

  • 43.5E-RFScan_2191.webp
    43.5E-RFScan_2191.webp
    106.7 KB · Views: 33
12304 H active now, also 12402 V
 

Attachments

  • 12402 V 19h39m.webp
    12402 V 19h39m.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 39
Yes,12400 V-6.1 dB.
 

Attachments

  • 12400 V.webp
    12400 V.webp
    97.3 KB · Views: 29
Strong peak on 11709H right now
 

Attachments

  • 43.5E-RFScan_2207.webp
    43.5E-RFScan_2207.webp
    106.6 KB · Views: 34
That's how it looks like from Kiev
 

Attachments

  • astra2e_43.5_8.webp
    astra2e_43.5_8.webp
    99.4 KB · Views: 41
10810v and 12402v low power
 

Attachments

  • 10818v and 12402v.webp
    10818v and 12402v.webp
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
Can anyone compile in a seperate locked thread a list of frequencies already tested and add regular updates to the list?

Regards
 
10818 V, very strong for UK beam
 

Attachments

  • 10818 V 20h05m.webp
    10818 V 20h05m.webp
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top