Astra 2F at 28E (at last!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what direction it will move or how much effect it will have, but at the moment they have one more satellite there than planned (1n wasn't planned) so they may well jiggle (very technical) the positions a bit. I am very tenacious when I align my big dish, spending most of the day and night making sure its as good as I can get it. Don´t want all the stress just to go through it again a few days latter!
 
I did a few tweaks this morning:
Added LNB umbrella for the rainy days to come.
Added 13dB attenuation to try and limit co channel interference from the surrounding 1N TPs.
Minor azimuth adjustment of the dish.

This is the signal quality measured today:
Astra2F25.11.12.webp

This is very similar to my reception yesteday.
I'm wondering about three things at the moment:
1. Is the Beam centered during the day or is it beeing moved around for measurement purposes?
2. How much are the TPs close by degrading reception?
3. Hopefully the Horizontal TPs are the worst - and the Vertical will be significantly stronger.
 
I just made some adaptions to my "DishSizeMaps2 that had been requested by users. The "no reception" markers have been desaturated in addition to their opacity and there are new settings in the lower right corner where you can disable thos markers completely and change the map type (roadmap/terrain...).





_http://constantinmedia.com/sat/DishSizeMaps/astra-2f/uk-spotbeam.html



[warning]Live External Link disabled as per Forum Rules[/warning]
 
in which direction do you suppose it might move?
Left... like always. But in all seriousness, it's on station, operational, and not going to move.
 
That's not true. The satellites at 28.2 are often 0.2º apart. Also, E28A and Astra 2 are 0.3º and that can easily be seen on a meter even when the dish is only an 80cm.
I'd like to see your calculations. Astra satellites are 0.01 degrees apart (check kingofsat) and that only applies for a location at 28.2 east. A 3 meter dish in Spain etc is used at minus "x" degrees and from that point of view an Astra satellite is never more that 0.01 degrees apart.

The 'advantage' would be 3/(0.6/.01)=0.05 dB.

The opening angle for 80 cm is 3 degrees and eutelsat at 0.3 degrees:

'Advantage' for eutelsat: 3/(3/.3)= 0.3 dB if you live at 28.2 east, in Spain only 0,1 db.
 
new ceriear evening start 2.5 c/n on 11658h
 

Attachments

  • 28.0E-RFScan.webp
    28.0E-RFScan.webp
    48 KB · Views: 74
11023H
at the moment
picture on 8901 & 8911 no break-ups
tenerife south
270cm
 
zeeteefje, I have to disagree with you. If what you are saying is correct in the 2D days, I could have peaked my dish on Sky News and I would have got perfect BBC1, ITV etc. That was not the case. Thats why I had to invest in quality meters with very sensitive tuners, to get the best 2D signal by aligning on 2D and peaking on their transponders. Its also the reason many Canarian installers couldn´t get 2D on a 3m dish (but could get Sky News).
 
11023H
at the moment
picture on 8901 & 8911 no break-ups
tenerife south
270cm

thats confirm my observation about drifting of 2F. At the moment (german primetime 20.15) most of the "border receiving peole" in germany have a low or none signal on 11023H. But on the canary island you have a stable signal.
That means the bird with his spot has moved in direction west.

at midnight and then at 12 o´clock they have the highest signal (would be meaning the bird is drifting from west to his central position for 6 hours and then to his eastern position again for 6 hours)
 
zeeteefje, I have to disagree with you. If what you are saying is correct in the 2D days, I could have peaked my dish on Sky News and I would have got perfect BBC1, ITV etc. That was not the case. Thats why I had to invest in quality meters with very sensitive tuners, to get the best 2D signal by aligning on 2D and peaking on their transponders. Its also the reason many Canarian installers couldn´t get 2D on a 3m dish (but could get Sky News).


I would hope an installer could get sky news on a 3 meter dish in Gran Canaria as you only actually need a 60cm dish to get it.

But you are right the dish had to be set as a balance between 2D and 2A north beam to get channel 4 as channel four wasn't on 2D originally. Fine tuning does help but I tried to adjust a dish a little on Friday to pull 2F in a little better but it made no difference or not enough to make it work.

You need about 4db more in Canary Islands to pull it in.
 
its so confusing ...from the canaries could all reportings put down the type of dish and setup they are using ..may be some of you are using Fortec Star piece of metal and trying to get 2F..!!
 
Oldfart, is it raining there still?

The guy is just messing around. He is not getting a signal on 2F in Tenerife. Please disregard any posts and whoever it is posting false information is not helping anyone.
 
Oh yes I forgot the added problem of Channel 4 in the old days! There is always some problem to overcome!
 
thats confirm my observation about drifting of 2F. At the moment (german primetime 20.15) most of the "border receiving peole" in germany have a low or none signal on 11023H. But on the canary island you have a stable signal.
That means the bird with his spot has moved in direction west.

at midnight and then at 12 o´clock they have the highest signal (would be meaning the bird is drifting from west to his central position for 6 hours and then to his eastern position again for 6 hours)


It doesn't work in Canary Islands full stop despite what one person is claiming.
 
Really bored now with all this mixed reporting.
Roll on the next phase with more transponders hopefully vertical pol. so we get to test these also! :-beer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top