Astra 2F at 28E (at last!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A respectable Dutch media news website and magazine posted an article about the Astra 2F Yesterday. Quoting:

"In the next days SES will move all transponders from the Astra 1N to the Astra 2F. In the near future the Astra 1N will be moved to the 19.2° East."

The original Dutch article:
_http://www.totaaltv.nl/nieuws/11048/Mindere_satellietontvangst_BBC-zenders_in_Europa.html

English translation by Google:
_http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totaaltv.nl%2Fnieuws%2F11048%2FMindere_satellietontvangst_BBC-zenders_in_Europa.html
 
´´DTH platform issue´´ what do we make of that ... sounds like they are getting the customers are not ready for transfer ???

I Wonder if the new WEST AFRICA service will start before they move ´d´´traffic over ??
 
A respectable Dutch media news website and magazine posted an article about the Astra 2F Yesterday. Quoting:

"In the next days SES will move all transponders from the Astra 1N to the Astra 2F. In the near future the Astra 1N will be moved to the 19.2° East."

The original Dutch article:
_http://www.totaaltv.nl/nieuws/11048/Mindere_satellietontvangst_BBC-zenders_in_Europa.html

English translation by Google:
_http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totaaltv.nl%2Fnieuws%2F11048%2FMindere_satellietontvangst_BBC-zenders_in_Europa.html

That map they link to in the article looks very familar....
 
That journalist has done his research during the weekend thoroughly ;)
 
´´DTH platform´´= A.K.A "provider"= BBC/BSKYB. Someone is apparently having 'an issue'
 
All speculation DTH platform could just as easily be the satellite itself.
 
Tenerife TV
Just bear in mind the information has come from an admin person within SES, it doesn't mean it's actually correct. We all hear things at work and people draw conclusions based upon incomplete information, this later becomes 'fact' in the office. I work in a technical environment and I'm not always 100% forthcoming about what might be causing a particular problem, though this is often driven by the fact that I don't know, in such circumstances I might give an explanation so wide and vague that the cause might be airborne volcano ash or something to do with Chinese engineering standards. Clearly, there is a problem of some kind and I'm sure DTH (I googled that afterwards) is probably in there somewhere but may not be the main problem.

One other thing our commercial said was the migration will be seamless and the client base will not really notice when it's carried out so it shouldn't be an issue as to when exactly its carried out. Clearly, he has no appreciation of who is using the UK spot beam at the moment though I suppose he's technically right for those people in the UK and Ireland.
 
We have slightly amended one of the Regional Discussion Topics to include Africa along with the Canaries.

Acknowledging that most of the Contributions will come from Members in the Canaries, we nevertheless need to cater for our African (Chiefly Morocco and Algeria, I guess) Members whilst avoiding having too many separate Threads.
 
but still I don't get it. The uplinking is done by SES and not Sky/BBC etc. They just have to supply the signal to the uplinking station and that didn't change. Or isn't it that simple?
 
@Steve Stras:

An excellent analysis, if I may say so.

I like the "seamless" bit and your too true comments!

We in the UK will merely need to provide Metering that goes all the way to Eleven (Spinal Tap, anyone?).
 
All speculation DTH platform could just as easily be the satellite itself.
True, but a minor issue at the provider could stall the migration. You don not want two (or more..) issues at the same time. Solve the problem first before you might introduce another is normal operating procedure.
 
[...] the migration will be seamless and the client base will not really notice when it's carried out [...][...] for those people in the UK and Ireland.

But we, outside the official footprint, definitely will! :D
 
but still I don't get it. The uplinking is done by SES and not Sky/BBC etc. They just have to supply the signal to the uplinking station and that didn't change. Or isn't it that simple?

Isn't it Arqiva who do the uplinking (Don't care if I'm wrong - just trying to stimulate debate to clarify).
 
just checked on Intelsat signal ..and thats gone now !!!
 
Tenerife TV
Just bear in mind the information has come from an admin person within SES, it doesn't mean it's actually correct. We all hear things at work and people draw conclusions based upon incomplete information, this later becomes 'fact' in the office. I work in a technical environment and I'm not always 100% forthcoming about what might be causing a particular problem, though this is often driven by the fact that I don't know, in such circumstances I might give an explanation so wide and vague that the cause might be airborne volcano ash or something to do with Chinese engineering standards. Clearly, there is a problem of some kind and I'm sure DTH (I googled that afterwards) is probably in there somewhere but may not be the main problem.

One other thing our commercial said was the migration will be seamless and the client base will not really notice when it's carried out so it shouldn't be an issue as to when exactly its carried out. Clearly, he has no appreciation of who is using the UK spot beam at the moment though I suppose he's technically right for those people in the UK and Ireland.
the client base is the clients of SES and their customers in the UK .which dont include you or most people on here , so he is correct .
i found his statement quite interesting as ANY information is helpful ..
 
I wonder if the existing 2B West Africa services will move down from 12.5GHz to the lower 10.7GHz spectrum once the WAB goes live? SES may have new transponders on this beam also contracted to new uplink providers as I guess they'll now be wanting to expand operations on this new slot.
 
I wonder if the existing 2B West Africa services will move down from 12.5GHz to the lower 10.7GHz spectrum once the WAB goes live?
Yes, to make it really impossible for Tenerife to watch UK TV they will/might re-use the UK frequencies on the WAB.
 
Isn't it Arqiva who do the uplinking (Don't care if I'm wrong - just trying to stimulate debate to clarify).

Arqiva uplink some services, generally commercial, but the BBC use ATOS (ex-Siemens) and their Earth Station is at BBC TVC with DR facilities and a second uplink at Wood Norton. SES don't uplink any BBC services, they are done by their contractor, once it was all in-house before they sold their DOC (Digital Ops Centre) off. I'm wondering if the present 2F TP61 is now being uplinked from WN with the current 1N TP's still uplinked at TVC? You can't have a dish uplinking to two satellites at the same orbit, they are super tight in terms of beamwidth and have to track the satellite's beacon. Doing it this way means when the transition takes place, switching the 1N TP's to WN briefly and uplinking from there will make things happen quickly whilst the TVC uplink is then tweaked for 2F and thus services restored to normal operation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top