Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Just watched the signal strength go from 87% to 99% over half a minute.

Where is this uplinked from? There are some heavy showers in the London area at the moment and have been a few this afternoon too.

Wiglet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 metre dish
Technisat and SD skybox Pace
My Location
Tenerife
Just to let you know readings at the moment the same as yesterday. No change, but only got in from work, so not been checking as i was doing over the weekend.

davidcmadrid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
40cm offset 19e, 1.5m 28e 1.2 M motor vu+
My Location
Madrid Spain
Where is this uplinked from? There are some heavy showers in the London area at the moment and have been a few this afternoon too.

From an RF enginneering perspective its unlikely that downlink power is a function of uplink power, typically on the RX end there is an AGC so its sensitivity can be adjusted as needed , this would be especially true for recieving portable / mobile news feeds which would have varying line of sight / TX power etc . This type of setup is the norm in amateur radio sats and most repeater stations from 2m to microwave in terrestrial terms. My guess is if the downlink power appears to be varying its because power is being changed or footprint / transmission antenna is being moved or adjusted. Could be well off but thought id add my 2 pence in case it was useful.

bonou2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong 4500, openbox X801, vantage 7100ts, vantage X201 CI, goldenmedia 9080,goldenmedia uni-box2,tbs6925+,inverto black ultra+C120,panorama er-861, zinwell lnb 15K C- band,intersat 20K
My Location
Romania
madrid south
135*120 cm fixed

offset dish oval
lnb inverto black ultra
golden media uni-box2 ---- L=89% ,Q=21-37% signal fluctuates sometimes 46%-51%
the signal audio-video is stable

amiko alien 8900hd--- L=79% ,Q=75-76%
the signal audio-video is stable
best regards bonou2

test report 26.10.2012 at 21:15pm

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
This type of setup is the norm in amateur radio sats
Didn't used to be. They were linear and that meant one strong uplink could wipe out every other uplink signal across the whole band.

davidcmadrid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
40cm offset 19e, 1.5m 28e 1.2 M motor vu+
My Location
Madrid Spain
Didn't used to be. They were linear and that meant one strong uplink could wipe out every other uplink signal across the whole band.

Its been about 5 years since I had exposure to a repeater manager who was into amsat ..I do know at that time there was a focus / drive to improve AGC and bypass filters , though I dont claim to be an expert by any stretch and indeed it may not be case that it applies here , the only real space experience i have had with things in orbit is talking to R0MIR and one successful moon bounce in months and months of trying and that only lasted 10 seconds!

welshman234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd uk, 80cm kathrein dish,vu+ solo, humax f1 fox for hotbird 13
My Location
frankfurt
Well I have scanned again and found 8901 and 8911 but my vu+ refuses to let me save them in the list any ideas whats wrong here?

Satellite74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm oval dish, Invacom single LNB prime focus 28.2°E, generic quattro LNB secondary focus 19.2°E; Technisat SD receiver
My Location
Hanover, Germany
Well I have scanned again and found 8901 and 8911 but my vu+ refuses to let me save them in the list any ideas whats wrong here?

worst reading here in Hanover since that TP was lit up...

just 15% signal level at the moment, drops to zero about once every 5 to 10 seconds and then comes back, zero percent signal quality throughout.

(measured with a Qbox, my netbook and ProgDV:cool:. And WITH my new Inverto LNB which I installed today and took great care to nudge for maximum signal strength.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
13 Hotbird, 19 Astra, 28.5 Astra, 42 Türksat, Dreambox 800HD.
My Location
Istanbul, Turkey
For 11798H that some see lower signal, it was on 2A and not 2B South Beam so it seems that not just 1N/2B frequencies are affected. But has it really moved ?

I was able to get this tp till yesterday. But I could not get it anymore with 170 cm dish in Istanbul.
Something happend on this tp.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
I'm also seeing the worst signal level at the moment since Friday, round about 40% SNR at the moment, occasional pixelation.

Satellite74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm oval dish, Invacom single LNB prime focus 28.2°E, generic quattro LNB secondary focus 19.2°E; Technisat SD receiver
My Location
Hanover, Germany
I was able to get this tp till yesterday. But I could not get it anymore with 170 cm dish in Istanbul.
Something happend on this tp.

that TP has two Sky Sports 1 HD entries and SBO HD2 and Sky Living HD here on my computer.

And it comes in here clear as day, 52% signal strength and 100% signal quality on ProgDVB.

Maybe Sky is starting to move its content over to 2F?

andrewcrawford

Reaction score
Website
www.computersupportservicescs.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Dual DVB-2S computer system and DUal Qbox HD Mini with oscam
My Location
scotland
sorry been busy not been able to keep up has more trasnpdners move over? and one that werent expected to move?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
13 Hotbird, 19 Astra, 28.5 Astra, 42 Türksat, Dreambox 800HD.
My Location
Istanbul, Turkey
that TP has two Sky Sports 1 HD entries and SBO HD2 and Sky Living HD here on my computer.

And it comes in here clear as day, 52% signal strength and 100% signal quality on ProgDVB.

Yes you are right.
Unfortunatelly we lost the channels in Istanbul. :(

tothbros

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm Gibertini, Andrews (CM) feedhorn, LNB: C120 flange Invacom QDF-031, Sky+HD box
My Location
Budapest, Hungary
budapest, hungary - on 11798H i have perfect reception. the sky box quality meter is almost maxed out (around 90%), signal level is around 80%. if it was moved, it definitely wasnt moved to the uk beam

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland

Something is going on as it's dropped 10% quality for me today but being in the UK I'd rather hoped the signal would have increased if it was 2F. It's now one of the weakest transponders at 28E for me. Perhaps it's so strong it's over loading?!

I'll see what happens to my setup when we have a number of transponders transfered over and worry about it then.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria

If I am correct this particular transponder has been swapping between ca 67% SNR and ca 92% SNR, I have never been able to figure out why, I first noticed this about 3 months ago if memory serves me correct ...

Satellite74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hanover, Germany
I'm just not sure it would make sense for Sky, IF they are looking to move their channels onto the new satellite(s), to put their content on the PE beam... what for? It's British TV for Brits, and you need a Sky box for it, which you are only supposed to have if you are living in Britain... so what would their stuff be doing on a pan-european beam?

Surely if they really want to move their channels to begin with, it will be onto the 2F spot beam...

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££s

In expat subs me thinks

Satellite74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hanover, Germany
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££s

In expat subs me thinks

Murdoch Inc. bowing to inevitable reality?? You are joking ;)

EDIT: anybody in the UK have an update on 10994H? It's been romoured to also have moved already... poor reception in extreme fringe areas today, similar to 11798, with a bunch of ITV1 regionals on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.