Astra 2F: Central & East Europe Discussion

cazhh said:
   

the signal got worse on the evening of the 2nd of march. Since then it didn't recover.
Up until a few days ago it was coming and going, bad days and good days, now all the fives (and seven4) seem to have gone for good, I can't check during the day but that's what's happening to me at night.
 
Exceptionally poor reception here tonight on 4seven and Channel5. It has honestly never been this bad at this time of the day since 2F took up service.

Around midnight CET, both transponders were back more or less, but now, Channel5 is gone again and 4seven is hanging on for dear life at 2.5 dB on my Technisat.

Overall reception has deteriorated gravely here over the last couple of weeks and is increasingly patchy, with bare minimum signal levels often throughout the day and abrupt signal breakup around 7:00 pm.

They really must have repositioned the antenna on the satellite or something. This can't be explained just by periodic satellite wobble.
 
Satellite74 said:
Exceptionally poor reception here tonight on 4seven and Channel5. It has honestly never been this bad at this time of the day since 2F took up service.

Around midnight CET, both transponders were back more or less, but now, Channel5 is gone again and 4seven is hanging on for dear life at 2.5 dB on my Technisat.

Overall reception has deteriorated gravely here over the last couple of weeks and is increasingly patchy, with bare minimum signal levels often throughout the day and abrupt signal breakup around 7:00 pm.

They really must have repositioned the antenna on the satellite or something. This can't be explained just by periodic satellite wobble.
Bad weather in UK?
 
Satellite74 said:
Exceptionally poor reception here tonight on 4seven and Channel5. It has honestly never been this bad at this time of the day since 2F took up service.

Around midnight CET, both transponders were back more or less, but now, Channel5 is gone again and 4seven is hanging on for dear life at 2.5 dB on my Technisat.

Overall reception has deteriorated gravely here over the last couple of weeks and is increasingly patchy, with bare minimum signal levels often throughout the day and abrupt signal breakup around 7:00 pm.

They really must have repositioned the antenna on the satellite or something. This can't be explained just by periodic satellite wobble.
As you know it is very changing signal level according to days time. For example IN THE MORNİNGS AND EVENINGS I can get 2A north and south beam and 2F signal almost %25up.

Also it is very changing according to the world s movement around the sun. After 21ST of March (Equinox) I lost signal from 2F almost %15 and up signals from 2A alsost %15.

Which is very interesting.

I think it effect you as well.
 
Have noticed a considerable drop in reception over the last weeks on the 2F channels, e.g. 11023H is now black more or less most evenings, I had been picking this up pretty perfectly beforehand.

Regards ... Wally
 
The signal has dropped significantly during, while people living further east in the first sidelobe area report stronger signals. An indication that the beam moved westwards by 30 or 40kms.
If that has been done on purpose or is caused by the different angle of attack of the forces of the sun i can't tell.
 
The reception has been poor in this area since start of March. Unfortunately SES changed something to the worse. :confused:
 
falk said:
The reception has been poor in this area since start of March. Unfortunately SES changed something to the worse. :confused:
Definitely has been a change. I receive all channels loud and clear during the day, but lose BBC 1 Scotland HD every evening now (had no issues up until about a month ago). ITV 1 HD is somewhat better, though can also be lost. Channel 4 HD roughly the same, while one of the ITV regions which has also moved to 2F is the most stable of them all.
 
I think we're all agreeing things have turned for the worse, I personally haven't had a glimpse of the fives in more than a month (not that I'm a fan of the 5s, maybe just The Mentalist and the odd Columbo episode..).

Is there an updated European map where one can see what kind of dish is required AT PRESENT to get seven4 and the fives? Just to have an idea on what kind of increase in dish size I'm to expect.
 
In Bologna,Italy,(Emmeesse 150 cm dish,invacom quad lnb,humax foxsat decoder) ,no signal from 2f in more than a month...If next july, BBC,ITvs channels ,etc..will do the same thing ,,I think that only internet TV services for expats could give us the possibility to watch UK channels...Or I am wrong?
 
I wpouldnt be at all surprised if SES havent backed off the power on 2F a little. Derating the power a little will save overstressing the payload.

A few watts decrease doesnt make any difference at all in the UK but could push many distant areas over the digital cliff.
 
Lower power at 2f?to save what?it is to little loaded that bird.maybe we are lucky and the bird has problems?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Its a common tactic to drop the power back a little once a bird has been in service a few months - we have seen it several times over the years with assorted satellites.

And its not the first time SES have light;ly loaded a bird - 2C has spent most of here years woefully under loaded back and forth around the arc.

I suspect 2F will be used if/when SES nab the Eutelsat frequencies between 11200 & 11700.
 
Analoguesat if that's true even if there was an updated map as things stand it would be worthless cos we don't know if they're actually holding back or not.... It seems to me a lot of guesswork, many different opinions, is there a way to have some definite info, some insiders maybe or don't they have to make statements about what's actually happening? This saving power for instance puts another spin on things, even after July how will we know what's needed in terms of dish size/equipment?

Br492 said:
maybe we are lucky and the bird has problems
or maybe we're unlucky and have problems with the birds..;)
 
Alistair_ said:
Analoguesat if that's true even if there was an updated map as things stand it would be worthless cos we don't know if they're actually holding back or not.... It seems to me a lot of guesswork, many different opinions, is there a way to have some definite info, some insiders maybe or don't they have to make statements about what's actually happening? This saving power for instance puts another spin on things, even after July how will we know what's needed in terms of dish size/equipment?

or maybe we're unlucky and have problems with the birds.. ;)
Most of the satellite hobby is informed guesswork. We get very little definite information about the satellites from the operators - and what they do give out has reduced drastically over the last 5 years or so.

You can believe theres a fault on 2F if you want to - I think that theory is nothing but a crock of horse dung myself. Onboard failures of satellites are extremely rare - and those that do happen tend to be of the catastrophic nature. 2F is still pumping out a huge signal here where is supposed to be powerhouse.Just remember that distant expats are not the target audience so SES dont care in the slightest if you lose some downlink power and you lose channels..
 
That's the Alix Pryde blog which has been reported and commented on (in depth!) before. I think that when you say northern France we're talking about traditional sized (60cm and smaller) dishes - it'll available further away on larger dishes.

Certainly 2F's spot beam is available in the south of France still but we've had to go up a size or three to get it. Hopefully 2E won't be significantly different but 2G, when it comes, may be even more challenging.
 
PaulR said:
Certainly 2F's spot beam is available in the south of France still but we've had to go up a size or three to get it. Hopefully 2E won't be significantly different but 2G, when it comes, may be even more challenging.
Sorry for being a muppet but can't find anywhere your dish size, nice to hear you can get the fives in South of France.

I've found a map that, according to its disclaimer at the top, only accepts 2F reports http://constantinmedia.com/sat/DishSizeMaps/astra-2f/uk-spotbeam.html, but it's a bit of a mess and mainly German based. Any other clue which may hint on required dish size very welcome.
I know it's a matter of sit and wait, but I like to think ahead, can't help it.
 
No, you haven't missed anything. I realise that I haven't actually said what dishes I've been using down there (near to Avignon).

Prior to the introduction of 2D I used a Zone 2 $ly minidish. When 2D came along I upsized to a dish which was the precursor to the Raven Gemini. This was the equivalent to a 70cm dish and was good for most of the time except when it rained. At around the same time I put in an 85cm dish for our English friends who live the other side of teh village. They didn't lose 2D when it rained.

(As an aside can anyone remember the name of this Gemini dish manufacturer? I think it began with an 'O' but am not sure.)

With the introduction of 2F I had to upsize. I was donated a couple of Triax dishes (thanks forum Mod Rick) - a TD78 and a TD88. In my naivete I thought the TD78 was and 80cm dish and the TD88 was a 90cm and was surprised when I measured them up to find that the TD78 was no larger than the Gemini. The TD88 turned out to be an 85cm dish so that went up.

I didn't have the proper bracket for the wall and had to reuse the Gemini bracket, which was a bit wobbly and difficult to adjust. Still, I got the C5s back even with some very rough and rady adjustment. They do tend to disappear in the rain but I'm hoping that when I put a decent bracket on the wall and can align it properly that it'll be better.

My English friends didn't even notice the introduction of 2F BTW. They don't watch C5 very much but reckon that it doesn't go when it rains.

Incidentally, the link to the German site wouldn't open for me. I kept gettin an http404 error.
 

Attachments

  • S1010001a.webp
    S1010001a.webp
    103.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_1584a.webp
    100_1584a.webp
    135.2 KB · Views: 88
Bummer you can get the fives with a 85cm dish and I can't with a 1mt dish, I must have a very poor brand (I'd say we roughly have the same distance from the UK). I didn't even know brands counted for something in the matter. When the time comes I'll ask my sat guy to replace my current 1mt dish with a proper one..

Sorry about that link, I must've done something wrong, I'll try again removing the actual link, but as I said I think there are better maps out there http:// constantinmedia.com/sat/DishSizeMaps/astra-2f/uk-spotbeam.html.


Hopefully 2E won't be significantly different but 2G, when it comes, may be even more challenging.
I agree, that's what we all hope as I understand but no one can say for sure until 2E is up and running apparently. I forgot to ask, what do you mean, should we be worried about 2G as well in 2014? The SES website practically says that if you can receive 2E then you won't need to change your equipment for 15 years, what kind of channels will take over 2G then? I've looked on the net but couldn't find that info.
 
Back
Top