Astra 2F: Central & East Europe Discussion

gigiPar said:
Hi everybody,
Something similar is happening here, 80 km east of Milan, Until yesterday with a 1 mt dish everything was fine apart from between 7 and 11 pm, when signal quality dropped below the minimum accepted by the receiver for Astra 2f (55% signal quality).
The pattern was everyday as follows , regardless of the weather: medium signal quality (up to 66% ) morning through early afternoon, from then on constant diminishing (63 - 61 -59 % etc.), around 7 pm down below 55% so no more image; back up again to 56-57-59% after 11 pm. For comparison, bbc 1 on astra 1n was and is at 80-81% throughout the day and night.
From yesterday though none of the 2F channels (4/7, ch 4 hd, ch 5, 8901 etc.) is visible anymore, no readings of signal quality from the receiver (this happens when signal quality goes below 51%).
That must put you somewhere near Chiari, so thats where Ive put your marker pin on the reception map :)
 
Analoguesat said:
That must put you somewhere near Chiari, so thats where Ive put your marker pin on the reception map :)
Almost right on target..actually, it's Brescia.
 
What happened to us (norhtern Italy and South of France) a couple of nights ago is quite significant as we now know for sure that when, not if, when, the BBC moves, a 1mt dish won't be enough just as it isn't enough to get channel5 seven4 5usa 5* today.

At that point many of us won't be able to afford a larger dish, I'm not talking money only here but also practicalities, inconveniences, council, neighbours... (some even say a larger dish won't necessarily cut it for that matter "For those thinking a bigger dish is part of the solution then that's not necessarily the case as larger dishes have extremely tight acceptance angles. A 2.5mtr+ size dish may pick up the services but you then find at certain times of the day they are lost due to the fact the satellite isn't in a perfect 100% elliptical orbit, it can move by 0.1 deg which isn't an issue for UK viewers with 45cm elliptical mini-dishes (that have 2 deg acceptance tolerances) but is for those abroad on the fringes with large dishes." source http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Changes-to-BBC-Satellite-transponders-in-2013).

In my case I'll probably be able to install a slightly larger dish 'borrowing' some roof space from my neighbour but at present if that'll work or not is just speculation.
However you look at it, some of us have just a few months left before the inevitable happens, maybe it could be nice to open a discussion about alternatives, I know this is a satellite forum and I know watching telly on the Internet will NOT be the same thing (I'm not even taking into consideration BBC entertnainment and BBC world), but I fear if there's a will there's a way doesn't always apply.. and there's probably some vultures out there already thinking of taking advantage of this situation I imagine, so a comparison of viable alternatives could be of some benefit for some.
 
Alistair_ said:
...maybe it could be nice to open a discussion about alternatives, I know this is a satellite forum and I know watching telly on the Internet will NOT be the same thing (I'm not even taking into consideration BBC entertnainment and BBC world), but I fear if there's a will there's a way doesn't always apply.. and there's probably some vultures out there already thinking of taking advantage of this situation I imagine, so a comparison of viable alternatives could be of some benefit for some.
We don't have an section specifically to cover all forms of TV by Internet (maybe we should?) but down in the Tech Head section are subforums for Slingbox support and IPTV Internet based Web TV streaming. You'll find a few ideas there.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/404-tech-head-the-technology-section/
 
Hi! Everybody...I have just controlled the reception of the infamous 2F ,now at 30 past Noon CET ,when usually,here in Bologna,..the signal in the past month was stronger ,and the channels on that satellite ,perfectly watcheable for a few hours...Unfortunately today I can't get the slightest signal ..If BBC and others will do the same,for me will be a big problem...I watch english channels because I studied your language at the university ,and after I got The Menière disease I have lost 80% of my hearing..( in my case hearing aids are useless...)The only way for me to watch and understand films ,news,etc..is by reading the subtitles...Most english channels are subtitled .. very few in Italy...
 
We don't have an section specifically to cover all forms of TV by Internet (maybe we should?) but down in the Tech Head section are subforums for Slingbox support and IPTV Internet based Web TV streaming. You'll find a few ideas there.
RaulR, I don't know if you should, but it'll become a hot topic for many expats in a few months time. Thanks for that link, I'll have a proper look when I'm on a reasonably sized display.


Unfortunately today I can't get the slightest signal ..If BBC and others will do the same,for me will be a big problem...
Luxlizard, are you saying you can't get a signal with a whopping 1.5mt dish in Bologna? Have I got this right? :-(
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, the Italian 777 teletext page is in fact nowhere near as good as the one you get from the UK PSB channels, and I fear watching tv online won't provide you the same subtitle coverage..
 
Adding to the 2F signal deterioration reports from Italy, I'm having similar issues at my location in Germany (Augsburg, 40 miles NW of Munich). Up till end some time last week perfect picture day & night on all 2F channels, not even bad weather losses. Now I have daylight reception only. Either something freaky is happening due to cloud/rain cover of past few days or transmission signal strength has been massively reduced.
 
Hi


I don't want to confuse things even further but here, on the swedish south coast, I'm getting the strongest reading on 2F signals so far.

OTOH, in the past few days (today in particular) I'm getting the weakest 1N signals I've ever seen.

I had assumed that the two were connected, ie that 2F seemed stronger beacuse the receiver wasn't 'swamped' by the stronger 1N signals, but I really don't know any more...


Regards,
Bengt
 
Swamping doesn't really happen with modern gear - but there have been several reports of anomalies today and the jury is still sitting!
 
Hi

Just to add that since last night (7 JAN ) at about 11 PM CET, reception of 1N at my location ( Southern Rome ) has degraded from 50% to 30% signal quality on most transponders being BBC Three not more watchable after 11PM.
During the day signal signal quality back to 40% for most transponders.
To be honest I don´t know wether this depends on any alteration/changes of my antenna set-up, i will check during the week-end.
Consider also that since July 2012 and until yesterday all 1N transporders were receivable 24/24 with 50% signal quality in good weather conditions and still watchable with light rain.
Needless to say that i have no CH5 reception after swap to 2F.
Sorry for having been slightly off-topic

Best regards
 
uk-expat said:
Adding to the 2F signal deterioration reports from Italy, I'm having similar issues at my location in Germany (Augsburg, 40 miles NW of Munich). Up till end some time last week perfect picture day & night on all 2F channels, not even bad weather losses. Now I have daylight reception only. Either something freaky is happening due to cloud/rain cover of past few days or transmission signal strength has been massively reduced.
Checked again just after midnight last night: as if by miracle, 2F channels all viewable again (except the two BBC One HD test channels, they came back at daybreak). I'm sure my dish alignments have not been disturbed; I'm watching at two separate installations about 1/2 mile part and there has been no wind worth mentioning here since before Xmas.
The recent reception volatility has me completely puzzled. The report from Trelleborg is interesting, though I can't imagine that Astra would start skewing the footprint again, now that the satellite is truly operational.
 
I think that the consensus is that the recent variability in signal levels at the fringes is due, in part or whole, to normal housekeeping operations to keep the satellite within its cluster space.

These are more noticeable at the fringes with 2F compared to 2D due to the very rapid fall off in signal at the edges of the spot beam. There were probably similar changes with 1N but everyone was just so glad that it was so strong compared to 2D that it was just overlooked.
 
Today,at 2 P.M.,CET ,the 2F signal is weak ,at the limit,the image is disturbed,but if you are masochist ,you can still follow Celebrity Big Brother on CH 5...I hope that a bigger dish (180 cm.) could solve the problem if even BBC,ITV ,etc..next summer will move to a satellite with a smaller footprint,
 
Luxlizard said:
"if you are masochist ,you can still follow Celebrity Big Brother on CH 5..."
You mean you must be a masochist to watch CBB, which btw replaced/interrupted The Mentalist, irrespective of the quality of image quality, I hope..^_^ I'll check tonight on my mere 1mt and report back.
 
Wanted to edit the above post but can't find the edit button, only to say that I'm back home, CH5 is in fact back on, so is 5USA and 5*, very clear picture too.
 
I have a feeling there is a time-out on the Edit function. 24hrs, maybe.

Anyway, glad you have reception of 2F!
 
uk-expat said:
Checked again just after midnight last night: as if by miracle, 2F channels all viewable again (except the two BBC One HD test channels, they came back at daybreak). I'm sure my dish alignments have not been disturbed; I'm watching at two separate installations about 1/2 mile part and there has been no wind worth mentioning here since before Xmas.
The recent reception volatility has me completely puzzled. The report from Trelleborg is interesting, though I can't imagine that Astra would start skewing the footprint again, now that the satellite is truly operational.
After one day of " back to normality" (with that I intend everything watchable as had quietly been for the last month, apart from the "incident" of two days ago) , tonight all Astra 2 f channels are gone again. Total lack of signal quality here (Northern Italy)..
 
Back
Top