Astra 2F: Western Europe Discussion

4.5 m that can track incoming !. That´s enormous for a home.
 
I checked the 2F signals with my additional 2.6 meter test antenna and Kathrein MSK200 test receiver. The reception level of the 2F signals compared to the non spot beam Transponders is -10 dB during the Maximum and -14 dB during the Minimum. Fluctuation of the signal around 4 dB in a 24 h cycle.
I am surprised about some reception reports east of my position, where 2F can be received with a 1 meter dish. If I am not totally wrong than you need a 4 times bigger dish for 12 dB gain increase. If you assume a 60 cm dish at my location works fine with the strong transponders then the 2F would require at least 240 cm -300 cm. With my 2.6 meter dish I receive the strong Transponder on 28 degrees with an SNR of 18 dB, Astra 2F signals from 10 dB SNR to 6 dB SNR minimum.
With my dish and dreambox receiver nearly 24/7 reception of channel 5, 10964 MHz and 4seven 11126 MHz. My Dreambox does not lock below 6 dB SNR. Location Edemissen, Germany. Any hints?
 

Attachments

Bigger dish? Delivery via IPTV instead?

Have you tried various lnbs? Some work better than others even out of the same batches and for ultra fringe reception ever fraction of signal is important
 
Bigger dish? Delivery via IPTV instead?

Have you tried various lnbs? Some work better than others even out of the same batches and for ultra fringe reception ever fraction of signal is important

I have the Opticum quad, which seems to work well in SW France. I'm not sure why, but it may be linked to the way the lnb can handle strong signals from 1n transponders right next to the weaker transponders from 2f. This might explain why some people seem to be OK with smaller dishes while others nearby need larger dishes.
 
Might be worth trying a few other lnb's. Inverto Black dual & quads are very well regarded.
 
Thanks for the replies. I will check with other LNB. Unfortunately I have to use C120 flange LNBs. At the Moment I am using the quad inverto red classic LNB. I will try with MTI quattro which came with the dish.
 
I checked with the MTI LNB. Signals with the more than ten years old LNB are better than the brand new inverto. I thought LNB technology improved during the last years!! The feed horn is the same, so it is definitely the LNB. Now I have channel5 24/7. For comparison: BBC Alba 20.5 SNR is one of the strongest transponders of the non spot beam satellites. 14,5 dB between the strong transponders and the spot beam Transponders. I am still interested in some reception reports around my area in Germany (Hannover, Braunschweig, Celle).
 
LNB's are most responsive across only limited frequencies - your sweet spot on the MTI appears to be in the lower frequency band. It would be unnoticable where the signals are strong, but where every last morsel of signal counts it can make all the difference.

Its always worth testing things like this - if you got 10 lnbs all from the same batch they would all perform very slightly differently.
 
a small Impression of my dishes
(1m, 1.5 m, 2.6 m)
IMG_7887.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7887.webp
    IMG_7887.webp
    278.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7888.webp
    IMG_7888.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 81
Excellent - I especially like the tribute to our wonderful British Broadcasting Corporation!
 
Hello everyone .....I'm not sure this is the right place for September 2F signal report......anyway ...hope so......signal up 10 -20% here over the last week or so.....anyone else had the same.....?
 
2F signal down tonight....about 20% on my humax....ch 980 just about ok (50%Q).....a lot lower than last night..........

Looks like "Robs sat site " is back on line.........thanks for the warm welcome here everyone ......but home is home ......but will continue to post stuff here too....if thats ok with everyone .....
 
You are always welcome to post here Steve.

Contributions from Munich when 2E goes on air would be most useful to help us get an idea of whats happening where with the signal:)
 
And map making to save the powers that be doing the leg work :D

Sorry just could not help it
 
funny you say that .........I had the very same argument alot with the late "Rob" in the past........
 
Then count me out with your "" collating ""

Regards from central southern norway

PS I know wrong section of forum fringe reception given my locallity
 
Last edited:
No probs....when 2E gets up and going........i will give my reception reports from Munich here on your site...............BTW....Who is the boss on this site..?

ps I'm getting used to this place now ..........but some times a bit hard to navigate...at times
 
Back
Top