Astra 2G: Pre-Testing Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when 2G gets to 28.x E will she be using the X-Band TPs from that location? I can't check UHF Satcom at the mo to see what (if anything) is at 28E as I'm on the way out but it seems a bit odd to add X-Band if all they're going to get out of it is 3 months or so at a temp location
I guess it depends on how much $$$ is involved as to whether or not it's pointless having X band for just 3 months. I suppose it might be useful again sometime, perhaps life after 28E too, maybe to do a "Sicral-1" type job somewhere else.
 
Sorry guys, I've been tracking the heavily inclined Sicral 1 placeholder.

20250 H/V is one of Sicral 1's Ka frequencies. Just checked its current inclination by adjusting my dish for maximum signal (+5° at present). That's why I lost carrier at various times of the day.

I would guess Astra 2G will be used only for Ku, and Ka internet/data traffic when it slots at 28E, and has no military X-Band/Ka capabilities.
 
That's quite a wild guess, that would mean the whole sat press is deluded!
http://www.tsenki.com/en/launch_services/help_information/launch/2014/?EID=116433
It was only a guess! Just my ( admittedly limited) observations. We do have help here checking the Ka bands; maybe as time progresses, we will see more activity. Whether or not its beacons on Ka in the bands I'm checking will be activated I don't know.

Excellent site you've pointed to, very informative.


Would you say Sicral crosses the belt near 21°E, or 22°E ?
Because the TLE of last visual observation is 21.9°E on 20 December.
I make it around 21.2°E on the belt. I will check it again when it's at maximum signal here.
 
Two old, inclined, military satellites with X-band are now leaving their location, they were quite close to 28.2°E.
NATO 4B, launched 1993, left 33.7°E about a week ago, now moving west with just 0.2° per day.
Skynet 3E, launched 1999, left 32.4°E about 3 days ago, now moving west with 0.8° per day.
 
Last edited:
SES-16/GovSat is a multi-mission satellite using dedicated military frequencies (X-band and military Ka-band) to provide high-powered and fully steerable spot beams for multiple government-specific missions. The satellite will cover Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The Luxembourg government has pre-committed to a significant amount of capacity on the new satellite in support of its NATO obligations; the remaining capacity will be made available to governmental and institutional customers.
It will be positioned at 21.5 degrees East and is scheduled for launch in Q2 2017.
-See more at:
See more at: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2015/20635031#sthash.cIJgkjPj.dpuf
 
SES-16/GovSat is a multi-mission satellite using dedicated military frequencies (X-band and military Ka-band) to provide high-powered and fully steerable spot beams for multiple government-specific missions. The satellite will cover Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The Luxembourg government has pre-committed to a significant amount of capacity on the new satellite in support of its NATO obligations; the remaining capacity will be made available to governmental and institutional customers.
It will be positioned at 21.5 degrees East and is scheduled for launch in Q2 2017.
-See more at:
See more at: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2015/20635031#sthash.cIJgkjPj.dpuf
Ah, didn't see this before I made the other comment in the Sat Lunches section!
 
Was just wondering how 2G was getting on the other day, time flies!! We're mid way through Feb already so would a reasonable assumption be that as Sicral-1 was in position and transmitting from the 15th December then 2G only has just under a Month left to go until she's fulfilled her temporary mission and can plan a move for testing? If she's not Ku tested at 21.5E, which is unlikely, then would SES really move her all the way to 43.5E to test and then back to 28.2E?
 
It would only be a two-week (approx.) transit and I can't think where else they might test her, so unless the status quo changes markedly, owing to an unforseen failure at 28E for example, I suspect the by now traditional regime will apply.
 
And why cant it be tested at 28.2?
 
Because at 28.2°E almost the entire Ku-band is already occupied, live testing needs the frequencies to be tested clear of other satellites' signals?

We're mid way through Feb already so would a reasonable assumption be that as Sicral-1 was in position and transmitting from the 15th December then 2G only has just under a Month left to go until she's fulfilled her temporary mission and can plan a move for testing?
Actually, already in May 2014, Sicral-1 was moved from 37.0°E to 21.9°E.
Apparently, for slot reservation 21.9°E is close enough to the 21.5°E slot, as is Astra 2G at 21.2°E.
 
I posted this on another forum but I thought I'd add it here too. It shows the differences in Astra 2G's Europe footprint over the UK compared to 2E and 2F.

The images are taken off SES's official iPad app and suggest 2G Europe beam won't be good news for Scotland or Ireland in its current form. As a result I don't think it'll be used much, if at all, at 28E for TV.
 

Attachments

  • astra2efg-europe-in-uk.webp
    astra2efg-europe-in-uk.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 82
I posted this on another forum but I thought I'd add it here too. It shows the differences in Astra 2G's Europe footprint over the UK compared to 2E and 2F.

The images are taken off SES's official iPad app and suggest 2G Europe beam won't be good news for Scotland or Ireland in its current form. As a result I don't think it'll be used much, if at all, at 28E for TV.

That information conflicts with this http://www.ses.com/fleet-coverage,
Below the 4 beams from Astra 2G.

I think the 1st 2 images in tim0_w2's link are correct for the UK spot beam but the third image for 2G is for the European beam not the UK spot beam.
 

Attachments

  • ASTRA_2EFG_UK_ku_band_spotbeam_L.webp
    ASTRA_2EFG_UK_ku_band_spotbeam_L.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ASTRA_2G_europe_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    ASTRA_2G_europe_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 60
  • ASTRA_2G_WestAfrica_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    ASTRA_2G_WestAfrica_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 46
  • ASTRA_2G_europe_ka_band_beam_L.webp
    ASTRA_2G_europe_ka_band_beam_L.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I posted this on another forum but I thought I'd add it here too. It shows the differences in Astra 2G's Europe footprint over the UK compared to 2E and 2F.

Hi timo......would you possibly have the complete images that show the total footprint coverages as opposed to just the U.K. view.

Thanks for that. :)
 
Hi timo......would you possibly have the complete images that show the total footprint coverages as opposed to just the U.K. view.

Thanks for that. :)
Just seen the other post re 'conflict' and thats why I asked if complete images from timo were available.

Again, thanks. :)
 
That information conflicts with this http://www.ses.com/fleet-coverage,
Below the 4 beams from Astra 2G.

I think the 1st 2 images in tim0_w2's link are correct for the UK spot beam but the third image for 2G is for the European beam not the UK spot beam.
I'm just comparing the European beams from each of the new generation satellites. The published UK beams from all three are virtually the same.
 
Hi timo......would you possibly have the complete images that show the total footprint coverages as opposed to just the U.K. view.

Thanks for that. :)
Here they are. For 2E and 2F a large part of the Europe footprint is over the Atlantic. For 2G it is more focused on central Europe, at the expense of northern UK.
 

Attachments

  • astra2g-europe.webp
    astra2g-europe.webp
    139.4 KB · Views: 135
  • astra2e-europe.webp
    astra2e-europe.webp
    143.8 KB · Views: 119
  • astra2f-europe.webp
    astra2f-europe.webp
    140.6 KB · Views: 117
Here they are. For 2E and 2F a large part of the Europe footprint is over the Atlantic. For 2G it is more focused on central Europe, at the expense of northern UK.
Superb.....thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top