ASTRA 3A in the NW

jardes69

Member
My Satellite Setup
Humax CR5510
100 cm dish+0.2db LNB
My Location
UK MErseyside
I have 0% signal from ASTRA 3A transponders, but I am getting 70% from ASTRA 1D (both on the same position 23.5 E). Would moving my dish a higher help? There are a houses about 20m in southern direction....

My setup - 100cm dish, 0.2 smart itanium LNB.
 
Astra 3A is focused on Germany so you might be out of footprint with that dish size.
 
Likvid said:
Astra 3A is focused on Germany so you might be out of footprint with that dish size.

Fottprint says 45dbW here, so I suggest 100cm should get at least something. I just wondering that if I move the dish higher, would it make difference?
 
jardes69 said:
Fottprint says 45dbW here, so I suggest 100cm should get at least something. I just wondering that if I move the dish higher, would it make difference?
Jardes,
Moving the dish higher will have zero effect on signal unless by doing it, you remove some trees of buildings from line of sight. The sat is 24 thousand miles away, so moving it a few feet nearer has a microscopic effect. For terrestrial transmitters, the signal level at absolute ground level, (Earth) is zero and it increases with height. So raising the antenna helps a lot.
 
Thanks for yor answers. I found yesterday, that my dish was a bit warped. When I fix it, I hope I get more signal. Will see tomorrow. By the way, why I am getting a signal from ASTRA 1D from the warped dish??? Any ideas?
 
You could retire the dish as dustbin and buy a good new dish instead, they are so cheap these days it's unbelievable.
 
Likvid said:
You could retire the dish as dustbin and buy a good new dish instead, they are so cheap these days it's unbelievable.

All right!
I have better idea, I will move to Germany instread :-)))
 
jardes69 said:
Thanks for yor answers. I found yesterday, that my dish was a bit warped. When I fix it, I hope I get more signal. Will see tomorrow. By the way, why I am getting a signal from ASTRA 1D from the warped dish??? Any ideas?

1D has a powerful pan European beam, and is an eassy catch in the UK. 3A has a focussed beam centred more or less on Germany, and is a difficult catch across much of northern UK


I cant get anything off it with an 80cm dish in south eastern Scotland.
 
I am getting most of the transponders in Central Scotland on a 1.2m dish. Some of the single channels per carrier are missing in the high band.
 
Back
Top