Astra 3A

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks Paul and Martin for your messages. I will keep you all upto date with my news.

:) Andrew.

p.s. not a real vicar so no need to be careful with the language ;)

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just noticed at 5.15pm that Ocko and Top TV are perfect strength now not breaking up so just did another search on CZ link transponder and picked up all the channels at 40% strength.....so yippppeeeee.....

Maybe get away with a 1m dish?.....I will see if I can borrow a 2nd hand one from a local satellite shop.

:-rofl2 Andrew

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done - it might just be the intense cold, but enjoy whilst you have them. See what the signal sdrops dpwn to once "normal" weather returns, then make a decision what size dish you want to invest in.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
thevicar11 said:
Just noticed at 5.15pm that Ocko and Top TV are perfect strength now not breaking up so just did another search on CZ link transponder and picked up all the channels at 40% strength.....so yippppeeeee.....

This on 23.5? Perhaps the weather is favorable... I might have to try again tonight ;)

Paul.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just been speaking to a contact who gets only periodic reception with a 1m dish in Berkshire, he's going to upgrade to a 1.25 Gilbertini, will be interesting to see whether it provides 24/7 reception.

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
just to update everyone as I see a few more threads on the subject. I have my czechlink card now and would say I receive about 14 hours a day ok with an 80cm dish. See initial post for my location. I am assuming a 1m dish may be good enough for my location for 24/7 viewing. I have been told from the Czech Republic that the Czechlink card expires in the next few weeks and they are issuing a new one.......mine should be the new one hope so.

thanks Andrew

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+ 500GB, 85cm transparent dish on motor, 50Mbit line, Czech Link
My Location
East coast UK
Yes, the old cards will expire on the 7.3.2006. The old card start with serial number 0 0257 XXX XXX X. These cards can be exchanged free of charge by the distributor “Trade and Technology”

Source of info _www.parabola.cz

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Home brew PC, Fortec Star FSCI-5100 plus + ultra sat RX. triax 110 motorised dish
My Location
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Watch this space...... I have finaly erected my 1.6 dish and aimed it at 3A. I have a good PQ on my sat meter so tomorrow I will be hooking it up to the reeiver. Hold your breath...... I am very hopefull at the moment.

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Home brew PC, Fortec Star FSCI-5100 plus + ultra sat RX. triax 110 motorised dish
My Location
Back to the drawing board.... SK and CZ Transponers have negligable improvement over the 1.1 dish. Looks like I need bigger still.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Out of interest, which 160cm antenna are you trying with I wonder ??

L.:)

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Its a Fortec,

Cheep and nasty i know but I need to prove that it can be done before investing heavily. The Back garden looks like Jodrel Bank already :-))

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately the 1.6 Fortec looks very much like the Jonsa of the same size which in my experience did not punch its weight.

It may well be that the dish assembly requires a vast amount of care to obtain good results.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I suspected it might be.

It will only be acting like a 110-120cm at best due to poor manufacture, as I guess you know by now.
If you are going to play with 150cms, then the Gibertini OP150 is a good one. (better chance of holding a resale value also).

Or you could try to find a second hand 180cm channel master/Andrew.

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The Dish has been put together as well as it can be and I am no stranger to low noise antenna installation either. I have a proffesional sat meter so I know its working to its best. Good take off, no trees or obstructions. My Triax 1.1 is almost as good though.
I know you are right that this is a cheep dish, but I dont want to buy a channel master only to find that it doesnt do the job. Do you think the CM 1.8 will do it?

Martin

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
There are no guarantees as we all know, but if you really have to have that sat from your location then that's the kind of direction you need to be heading (a 180cm+ of good construction).

Rgds

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
What about the 1.8 Fortec? its affordable from M*****. or maybe the 2.4?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
THEN it becomes a putting together issue, but as you know what you're doing then think of the 2.4 as a 1.8 and the 1.8 as a 1.5 in terms of performance.

However they are very flimsy bits of kit and will only sit on their strange circular stands. If you are in an exposed position then they are more likley to suffer distortion than others.

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think I'll put this 1.6 back on ebay then, once the snow clears for a photo or two :-)) and keep my eyes open for an alternative. Do you know a gain figure for the CM 1.8, just wonder how much gain i need, the Fortec 1.8 and 2.4 dont offer a huge improvment. cant remember the figures of hand but only about 1db improvement.

Yes we must have this bird, my partner is from SK, unless i can find a hack for the 19E package.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I'm afraid I don't offhand, but if nobody posts the figures soon then I'll try to dig them up for you.

Wouldn't pay much heed to the Fortec advertised figures as I'm sure you don't either now.

Rgds

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just arrived back from installing the Gilbertini 1.25m in Reading, mounted on a Stab HH 120 and onto to the existing wall mount, bigger than I'd like for that motor, but it seems to turn OK, if somewhat slowly.

Below is a shot of the antenna and a screen shot of the Czech Link channel CT 1 on a DB7000 (not the most sensitive of tuners), the LNb is a bog standard unknown make cheapo. The Funke 1.0m dish which this one replaced, would not pick up this channel at this time of day.
View attachment 17150

PS. I know there is no cable connected to the LNB, photo taken before alignment. :)