BarMoo in the UK: FreeView vs SKY

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I was in the UK over the New Year. Haven't been there for five years so I tucked into my old fare: Hulla Hoops, Monster Munch, Pork Pies, Scotch Eggs, Pasties, anything 'Salt & Vinegar'. Anyway, after I had vomitted for the second time - I went back to eating normally.

Anyhow, what really got my attention in the neighbourhood of where my mate lives (Putney, London) were the vast errections of new TV aerials - er, seemingly, on every house.

If there had been a bit more coal smoke and a sleeping alley cat - it was/is the stuff of a Coronation Street Opening Title Sequence.

These 'FreeView' aerials look monsterously large.

Seems funny that people used to moan about satellite dishes blighting their communities, lol. ;)

R

Rd100

DTT (Freeview is just a marketing name to make it easy for joe public) Is ok apart from the shopping channel and quiz channels,

As for the big tv aerial is all depends of what the signal is like from the dtt transmitter,

You can find more details here www.freeview.co.uk

You can also get pay tv which now most of it is downloaded over night to a thomson DTR more details here: www.topuptv.co.uk

Then soon you can watch pay prem football via setanta sports which will need a seca smart card from them my local sainburys supermarket has stock of new DTT receivers which are boxed as setanta ready and i think the smart card comes in the the package and it's only £27,

BarMoo said:
I was in the UK over the New Year. Haven't been there for five years so I tucked into my old fare: Hulla Hoops, Monster Munch, Pork Pies, Scotch Eggs, Pasties, anything 'Salt & Vinegar'. Anyway, after I had vomitted for the second time - I went back to eating normally.

Anyhow, what really got my attention in the neighbourhood of where my mate lives (Putney, London) were the vast errections of new TV aerials - er, seemingly, on every house.

If there had been a bit more coal smoke and a sleeping alley cat - it was/is the stuff of a Coronation Street Opening Title Sequence.

These 'FreeView' aerials look monsterously large.

Seems funny that people used to moan about satellite dishes blighting their communities, lol. ;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Rd100 said:
DTT (Freeview is just a marketing name to make it easy for joe public)

Well, you could just call it by its real name: DVB-T *wink*

What's funny is that in Berlin you only need a huge antenna like that if you literally live at the edge of the signal: else a small indoor or stick antenna is fine.

I'm sorry, I do like to rub it in, comparing the two countries DVB-T set-ups ;-))

R

Rd100

My self i only have a UHF aerial pluged in to my plasma and lcd and also my sony crt idtv for one reson so they can receive the OTA firmware upgrades my samsung lcd received one the other week and my pioneer plasma did back in november, see here http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Myself i use satellite 99.9% of the time,

BarMoo said:
Well, you could just call it by its real name: DVB-T *wink*

What's funny is that in Berlin you only need a huge antenna like that if you literally live at the edge of the signal: else a small indoor or stick antenna is fine.

I'm sorry, I do like to rub it in, comparing the two countries DVB-T set-ups ;-))

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
BarMoo said:
That might be something to do with the fact that Berlin doesn't have any analogue terrestrial signals to worry about surely?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I imagine you are right there Paul ;-))

Allowing the transmitters here to belt out much higher outputs than those in the UK.