Basic Cluster Question

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still in planning. Expected: Humax iCord Receiver, 88cm Triax Dish, 2 Quattro LNB's, pointing at Astra2d and Hotbird8
My Location
Switzerland
Sorry that I have to ask such a basic question, but hours of searching on Google etc has not yielded and obvious answer.

We are planning our system in Switzerland which will be aimed at both Astra2D and Hotbird8 so as to get a combination of English and German channels (we need Hotbird8 for our Swiss channels).

My question is: If we aim at Astra2D, do we also automatically receive signals from other co-located Astra2 satellites in this cluster? Or do we need an extra splitter or LNB for this?

Same question goes fro the Hotbird cluster.

Basically... does aiming at a cluster result in access to all FTA channels available across whole cluster through one LNB?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With small dishes, pointing at the cluster will pick up all of the satellites in the cluster, so your 88cm should be fine with the main focus on Astra 28.2 and secondary focus on Hotbird. You say you will be using Quattro LNBs, are you setting up a multiswitch?

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still in planning. Expected: Humax iCord Receiver, 88cm Triax Dish, 2 Quattro LNB's, pointing at Astra2d and Hotbird8
My Location
Switzerland
My intention is just to start with two twin cable feeds running to 2 TVs, each with a Humax Twin Receiver.

The reason for thinking Quattro's is just to have ability to add TVs later.

Would I better off using a multiswitch? Don't I still need a receiver at each TV in any case?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Quattro LNBs have four different outputs, one horizontal low, one horizontal high, one vertical low and one vertical high (designed for multiswitch use), so are not suitable for feeding receivers direct, you need quad LNBs for that, as they have four universal outputs.

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks for letting me know the differnce. One of the difficulties with looking at these products on Swiss shop shelves. They give you descriptions in 3 languages, but mostly not English.

Mental note: Quad, not Quattro.

Aside from this... am I on the right track then?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly looks like it. :)

Are you going to use DiseqC switches at the dishes to combine the feeds to the receivers?

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
These are exactly to sort of questions I am struggling with.

Are you able to point me to a website with a nice diagram (or collection of diagrams) that illustrate the options, and different parts that might come into play?

The receiver I am looking at has two receivers built in... so I am not sure what else I need.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, here's a little diagram showing two single tuner receivers, you just need to add two more DiseqC switches and take two more feeds from each LNB to feed the second tuners.

OK, updated to show both receivers with two feeds. This would give you both satellites on both tuners for both receivers.

Attachments

• diseqC.JPG
    diseqC.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 37

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks for your timer and the diagram.

So, if I understand this right... without using the DiseqC switches each tuner on the receiver would only be capable of displaying the feed from one satellite, therefore possible restricting what can be recorded or watched at any given time.

So do the DiseqC switches essentially combine the feeds through a single cable, and when the tuner is switched to certain channel it simply communicates with the DiseqC switch to obtain the appropriate feed?

I think I have it all sorted out in my head now. Just want to make sure I understand the grounds for getting the DiseqC switches.

I have to say your help has thus far been beyond my expectations. It is greatly appreciated.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you have it spot on, glad the info has helped. :)