Battle opens for R18 on subscription TV

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
The battle for R18 on television has started. Ofcom have announced their public consultation over standards and have asked the public if R18 should be permitted or not. Further news and analysis will be posted here throughout this week:

http://www.ofwatch.org.uk

Full consultation details can be found here:

www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/current/broadcasting_code/?a=87101

Although Ofcom have not yet officially decided which way to jump on the R18 issue, the fact that they are even considering the matter is very good news and may well mean curtailment of the Nanny state and the death of a dogma.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
It does seem that a door, if left slightly open, can be pushed fully open if the people doing pushing really want to do it.

I have posted my views in some of your other threads Paul, so you know how I feel about it. These guys know they have a pent up market and will do anything to gain a foothold. We all have the equipment to receive these channels sitting under our TV's.

I take my hat off to the channels , on say. 13E ( SCT, UB , and the like ) as they had to do it all themselfs, had to get us to buy the equipment and the cards. Unlike thoes on 28E they waited for SKY to build the platform and piggybacked themselfs into our homes. But I may repeat my MAIN reason for not wanting the doors fully open, We all have the equipment, but we got it for Footy and Movies and our kids use these boxes more then we do. And I feel it is all too easy for them to see stuff they should not.

I watch mature content but to do this I have to fire up the Force 1122s load a Tit card move the dish and much more besides. And that is how I for one would like to keep it.

BTW Paul I do like to see your posts on here and also know you have your point of view and I do respect it, and am not fighting with you. BEST of luck with your campain. I can see from all your other posts it is something you belive in.

Razor.

Duck Rogers

Reaction score
I think there is more to this issue than simply the "nanny" state.

By setting special restrictions on the content that channels on Sky can transmit, a closed market is created that makes those with licenses a lot of money. Allow HC to be transmitted, then normal EU law applies and suddenly the likes of UB, SV, etc can transmit on sky.

Its similar to R18s being restricted to licensed s_x shops. Its not about controlling distribution as much as who gets to distribute them.

The goverment would no doubt argue in its defence that you are not restricted as you can recieve HC from Hotbird or Astra

Paul Tavener

Reaction score
Website
www.ofwatch.org.uk
My Location
Portsmouth
It is undeniable that the Sky prohibition is a form of restriction on free expression. Although its not a total restriction its a very big restriction. If freedom of expression is to have any value at all then the question that should be asked is why should R18 content be prohibited from Sky rather than why should it be allowed on Sky. the onus of proof of harm must reside with those who wish to restrict expression not with those who wish to engage in it.