BBC Card

D

declan

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a free BBC card in the ROI?
Why won't Sky give them to customers in Ireland?
They have lost millions over this stupidity because people who want the British terrestial channels in Ireland simply switch over to Irish Multichannel where these are available.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
BBC viewing cards are available to UK addresses only, by tel-:

08702 43000 Giving UK address, postcode and the system details of your box.

Zansi.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
BBC cards are not made available to the Republic of Ireland for the same reason they aren't to any other non-UK country in Europe: the BBC do not in general have distribution rights for anything other than the United Kingdom.

It's the same reason that lies behind all of the country-specific restrictions in satellite program distrubution worldwide.

But I agree with you that it is a stupid situation. In fact, it's legally very questionbable too given that there are European laws designed specifically to outlaw any restrictions on the free movement of goods and services within Europe. The only reasons the providers get away with it are:
(a) they hide behind a loophole which allows a step-out on the free-trade laws where protection of copyrighted material is otherwise endangered
(:cool: no-one has had the clout/money/stamina to challenge them successfully in a court of law. Recent attempts were made in Austria but failed there, and would probably fail elsewhere too given the legal resources the likes of Murdoch and Kirch can draw on.

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I take your point Declan about the restrictions being stupid, but i can't see how they've lost millions by failing to give away free cards, particularly when as you say, they obviously sell their material to the multi channel setup.

As Zansi implies, you only need to know someone in the UK to get a free card anyway.

rolf

seyok

Reaction score
Thank you for giving the phone number to call for free BBC Viewing cards. Just to let you know that the number is not complete. Will appreciate if you could get the complete number for us.

Thank you once again.

zansi said:
BBC viewing cards are available to UK addresses only, by tel-:

08702 43000 Giving UK address, postcode and the system details of your box.

Zansi.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
seyok said:
Thank you for giving the phone number to call for free BBC Viewing cards. Just to let you know that the number is not complete. Will appreciate if you could get the complete number for us.

Thank you once again.

The BBC programmes are no longer encrypted, since June 2003 they have been "free to air" and therefore no card needed. :)