BBC in Europe

B

bache1

I live in Switzerland and have a Pace skybox and a vaild subscription card. I can receive BBC2 BBC choice and all the BBC radio channels and channel 4 and 5. When I try to tune to BBC1 I get the message 'Service not avilable' and at the top there is the code 08. It is possilbe to get BBC1 in Europe and if so what am I doing wrong? I have tried tuning to BBC1 Scotland and Wales but get the same message.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
BBC1 is carried on the same transponder/beam as BBC2 so if you can receive the latter then you should (in terms of signal strength and equipment) be able to receive the former.
See transponder data at Lyngsat: http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml
The footprint of the beam in question is here:
http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints/images/2_south.gif
You can see that all of Western Europe is covered.

As you can receive BBC2 but not BBC1, it suggests something is wrong with the card. Perhaps it was not properly activated.

Did it ever work?
How & where did you get it activated?

2old

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A problem that often happens,Some people authorise the card when connected to someone elses dish,ie a shop or a friends house,then take the digibox home before all the channels load.Another call to the Free card line to ask them to re-authorise the card is needed,this almost always does the job. Best of luck..Brian

bobgab

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi
I'm having the same problem you had. Did you resolve it? How?
I've rebooted, asked the BBC to re-authorise the card - everything I can think of, but I still don't get BBC1. One peculiarity is that my card was authorised for Merseyside but the programmes advertised for BBC1 are for the London area.

bobgab

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I didn't post the original message but have the same problem. I followed your advice but still don't get BBC1. One peculiar thing which might be the answer is that though my card was authorised for an address on Merseyside, the BBC news programmes advertised are all BBC London.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

Don't forget that the databases between SKY and the FTV (BBC) people are very separate.

If you have a SKY sub call SKY and if you have a FTV card (BBC) call the FTV number.

I had/have the same problem with a friends card. I must admit I gave up after about seven calls to SKY (he has a sub).

What I should do is ask for a pre-authored card to be sent as a replacement - as I did when I had a similar problem.

Any other solutions - happy to listen.

Have Fun,

Mark.

A

ABT89R

I had this problem with my FTA card too, and repeated calls for the activation signal to be resent did not work. I only managed to get BBC1 when I subscribed to Sky and got a new card.

ABT