peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Hey BarMoo,
Cheers for the input...
I run my projector from my laptop using the VGA port, so that side of it is not a problem...what is a BIG problem is getting a card that is USB2 and will cope with HD....

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Is there PC app that will play BBC HD using a feed from a Dreambox using cat5 rather than a skystar card?

Ervil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra,Hotbird,Hispasat,Astra2+Humax HDCI 2000+Sanyo Z2
My Location
Portugal
BarMoo said:
I wouldn't if I were you Ervil. Here's why.

If you have the hardware and have followed the hap-hazard software posts on this board: you will have already tested your kit (Decoder/PCI Card) with the wide-beam FTA transmissions from 19.2°E. Have you done that?

Then there is the obvious. You live in Portugal and don't even/haven't tried to get a standard BBC signal from Astra 2D. I live in Berlin and I would need a minimum of €400.00 just for the dish (then there is the stand, etc, etc.)

If you have loads of Lotto dosh lying around - fine there is still time. Else, give this one a miss or nip down to the local bar where, hopefully, all the patrons have arm-bent the landord into buying an HD setup for the football.

Hi BarMoo

Thanks for your advice but, even without having loads of Lotto dosh lying around, it was not my intention to give this one a miss.

So, I've just finished my Astra2 setup, just in time for the World Cup.

My total investment with the 1,2m dish, the SilverTech Inverto 0,3db Twin LNB and the cable was around ... €100.00.

But I've changed my original plan. When I've concluded that I would need to spend around €200.00 in software for my PC with the SS2 in order to see BBC HD (with no guaranty of success), I've decided that it was better to spend €400.00 in a Humax HDCI 2000 :D .

And now, that I have my Humax HDCI 2000 working, I think I've made the right decision.

So, as you see, the total investment was around €500.00.

You can check my setup here:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=67746

In conclusion, I won't need to go to the local bar to see the WorldCup in HD. :D

Ervil

razzy26uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pc with skystar 2
My Location
wales
hi ive read all this thread and have just ordered a skystar2 card (even if its only for the final parts of world cup i have power dvd 7 installed and avc codec with matroska splitter ,ffd show i live on top of an shop which used to be a panasonic store and has a digital sat dish right next to my window not being used (will the direction its pointing i.e sky digital be ok to pick up bbc hd ) my pc is very high spec dual core amd 4800 2gb corsair ram ati x1900xtx etc i know it can handle the hardest type of hd ~(cpu intensive) x.264 as i have around 25 movies 720 p in this format on single layer dvdrs also is there any viewer i can use to view this which is free thanx for any replies

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, if the dish is pointed at Astra 28.2, it should be fine.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Well basically, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the only ones around:
-dvbviewerGE (not free)
-skyview beta
-tsreader (not the free version?)

But all of these viewers seem to have issues with one or another codec...
personnally, i still haven't got around to do it myself, my setup's a bit buggy and a lot less powerful than yours!
ps: next time if you can, mate, put some commas or periods on your post, it nearly took my breath out reading it :D
are you on dial-up?

razzy26uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pc with skystar 2
My Location
wales
thanx for your info,i have searched for the 3 viewers you named and the the beta free program is so complex i havent a clue it doesnt even have a executable file.
and the other 2 are ridiculous amounts of money i might as well buy the sky hd box,does any1 know of a viewer thats reasonably priced ,or can i update to the full version of whatever software skystar2 ships with(mine is coming today)...any help much appreciated

p.s no dude im not on dial up 10 meg down here just hopeless at writing:-bash

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Hi again razzy

Really, try skyview. i know the prog is mind boggling but if you have *some* knowledge of dvb viewers you'll get around to do it (though i'm still struggling with it myself :D)
here's the link to the beta version that supports mpeg4, it's meant to work with the elecard avc codec (even though it is probably the crapest) at least:

_http://skyavc.neostrada.pl/ver5118/SkyView.zip

it comes with an .msi installer so you won't have any trouble installing that to your drive

personnally, i wish the other 2 viewers were free too, i can't allow myself to give away money to something which is probably really buggy (avc codecs are not on point are they) and might not work on my setup - i'm "only" running athlon64 venice 3200+ and geforce 6200 1GB dual ddr crucial... i wonder if one can "find" these 2 viewers "out on the wild" :D

voilà, do not hesitate to come back if you got any queries, though i'm not the person here that knows this stuff best...