Beginners guide to setting up a basic windows plane tracking system

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
When I get the splat sorted I intend finishing the install that I started on my old PI. I will set that up in the garage and leave it running.Assuming of coarse that I can get that working.:)That said the way that it is going, getting the splat sorted on W7 may take some time.:)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Sorted.
Analoguesat spotted that the Splat was positioned at about 1.5 East.My latitude is -1.49 . Oh dear I had missed putting a - in front of the longitude in Tools/Options/Receiver locations.
Another slilly mistake.I will let it build now.
I am going to hide under the stairs for the rest of the day.:)splat 1.jpg
Building nicely .
splat2.jpg

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Is the mlat client still running? You have dropped off the mlat map rx4

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Not just now.Doing some fiddling.Dump dose not always start up properly.The only way that I can get it going sometimes is to run RTL1090 first them shut it down.Still not there yet.I would probably get bored if I had no problems to sort out.:)

A

Archive-8

Not just now.Doing some fiddling.Dump dose not always start up properly.The only way that I can get it going sometimes is to run RTL1090 first them shut it down.Still not there yet.I would probably get bored if I had no problems to sort out.:)

If it’s windows dump1090 then you should be running a batch file.

The batch file should contain the data etc, plus you can then have it running as a windows service:(

Still it’s getting there :Y

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I am running the Windows batch file Chris.This setup is a bit stroppy I will sort it though.Going to start from scratch now.It keeps me busy.:)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Update.
I have a Zotac Zbox sittting doing nothing on my computer desk.I had a brainwave that would be ideal for the SDR project.Early this morning I set it up (4.30)Got it all setup.
but wales Mlat was logging on to the server but just sitting there taking no samples.I left it running then went for a bit of catchup .
I was expecting to have to do some fiddling with it when I got up later.It was a nice surprise to see everyting running well.Wales Mlat taking info.I do a lot of fiddling with settings so going to take a Macrium image now for when I knacker it.
Edit Just accidentaly switched the box off.All started up ok.:)
splat.jpgdump.jpgmlat.jpg

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Excellent coverage there :) Theres plenty more to come in most directions by the look of it.

Attached is a zipped folder with some of the missing operator flags in it. Ive been creating them as I spot a missing one for my system.

Attachments

• New folder.zip
    170.6 KB · Views: 3

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Excellent coverage there :) Theres plenty more to come in most directions by the look of it.

Attached is a zipped folder with some of the missing operator flags in it. Ive been creating them as I spot a missing one for my system.

If anyone wants to create their own the process is very simple for the basic logo.

Find a website with the airline logo on it. If you use windows later than win7 then you have snipping tool available to copy a rectangular block around the logo. You will get a jpg file if you use snipping tool.

Using your favourite graphics manipulation programme to save it as a BMP file and rename to whatever the ICAO code for the airline is - so EasyJet would be EZY.BMP, & Wizz Air would be WZZ.BMP

Resize the image to 85*20 pixels and save it. If you dont like the look of it find another logo to play with :D

Copy the image into your operator flags folder& next time an aircraft passes from that airline it will display your flag :)

The PYN:Fly Wales logo on the screenshot is one of mine.

Capture.JPG

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Still on a learnig curve here and a long way to go I expect.
I sometimes have a blue circle on a splat.What is it telling me.Also how do you get the coloured distance rings.
capture.jpg

A

Archive-8

Still on a learnig curve here and a long way to go I expect.
I sometimes have a blue circle on a splat.What is it telling me.Also how do you get the coloured distance rings.
View attachment 114755
Click the cog at the top. Hit options, then map. Tick the show range circles. I have mine set to 9 quantity and 20 statute miles.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The 5 is because there are 5 aircraft being tracked in that area but at that zoomed out level they cannot be shown individually. Zoom in a few levels and you will get the individual aircraft.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Ha. Easy intit when you know how.:)
I have plenty more questions.:D
rings.jpg

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Click the cog at the top. Hit options, then map. Tick the show range circles. I have mine set to 9 quantity and 20 statute miles.

As Chris says - this is what my entries look like

Capture.JPG

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I am running the Windows batch file Chris.This setup is a bit stroppy I will sort it though.Going to start from scratch now.It keeps me busy.:)

Make shortcuts to the batch files & move them to the tartup folder & they will auto restart when the computer is rebooted. Thats how Ive got my little netbook set up