My Satellite Setup
DB 500s
SamsungP-CI/Viaccess embedded
Irdeto CAM
SA D 9835/Powervu
My Location
Deutschland/Großbritannien
Hi guys,
I am thinking of replacing my 80 cm mesh dish with a 90 cm dish.What do you think is the best dish (80-100 cm)??
I've heard that gilbertini is the best!So shall i stick with it?Any advice would be very helpful.
Cheers
M.Klien

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
as you are in germany these do the gibertini dishes and i would say go for 1metre if your upgrading and can get away with that size

_http://www.dvb-shop24.net/index.php/cat/c3_Satellite-dish.html

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Is Gibertini better than Channel Master?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
iceman said:
Is Gibertini better than Channel Master?

Channel Master used to have the edge as they had a fibreglass (non deformable) reflector and a dedicated feedhorn.

Now I'm not so sure. Gibertini are a very professional company and have a good production reputation.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Channel Hopper said:
Channel Master used to have the edge as they had a fibreglass (non deformable) reflector and a dedicated feedhorn.

Nearly as good as my SMW! (ABS). Pity they don't make 'em any more.

Llew

cologne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 500s
Irdeto CAM
SA D 9835/Powervu
My Location
At first i considered buying channelmaster too.But my parents wont allow that because of the bulk size(i mean in the back) and all that.LOL:)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Channel Master are very good dishes but heavy, i don't think these fibreglass dishes will cope with the RMS surface requirements for Ka-band in the future, that's why most manufacturers these days make metal dishes either by spinning or hydroforming.

Just get a good Gibertini and hope you get it delivered not warped.

Fibreglass dishes never warp really and can take alot of beat before any visible damage.

Myself would suggest a brand new Fibostöp 90cm Gregorian dish, they are still available if you want one.

cologne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 500s
Irdeto CAM
SA D 9835/Powervu
My Location
Hi Likvid,
Fibostöp 90cm Gregorian dish?I love a dish with a reflector.Where can i buy one of those?
Cheers

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
cologne said:
Hi Likvid,
Fibostöp 90cm Gregorian dish?I love a dish with a reflector.Where can i buy one of those?
Cheers
You can contact _http://www.satmueller.de

They sell only to trade in Germany but foreigners can buy directly.

They sold out of the 55cm Fibo and 120cm Fibo several years ago so they only have the 90cm version left i beleive.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have had excellent results with my Triax dish. Very high gain...

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
Same here very pleased. Are there any comparisons tested in identical conditions and not just prefrences as mine is. Perhaps I should have started a new thread?

R

Rd100

Andrews (channel master) i would say i find Gibertini not as good as andrews, Get a andrews with a matching feed horn and you will have the best gain for that size dish, Andrews will work with ka band as iv'e installed a andrews 2way ka band dish on a few banks here is the uk for two way data

I've tryed and tested a few dish's i find best, First from the top
Andrew's
Televes
Triax
Gibertini
Raven

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Rd100 said:
Andrews will work with ka band as iv'e installed a andrews 2way ka band dish on a few banks here is the uk for two way data

Raven

Feels good to know in the future, thanks.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
rd100, so a gibertini dish wouldn't be worth getting then as was looking to buy one as i thought they were good and also because they were aluminium so lighter than steel , easier for a motor to cope with

andrews dishes look the best but can you use DiSEcQ motors on them ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Not for any length of time probably, and then not over a 100cm max if it is a CM. As the weight and windage will take their toll.

I would put my 125cm Gibbi against the comparable CM any day.
Not forgetting that the CM is in fact a mesh dish (with the surface area loss)
albeit encased in a very hard outer shell.

Would be intersested to know the mesh matrix measurements of the CM dishes if anyone has them though.

L.:)

R

Rd100

Hi im not saying gibertini are bad dish but my self i would not use one unless it was in a garden low down out of the wind as i've only installed about 5 of there dishes and 2 of them suffered wind damage, if it was myself i would buy a triax or televes dish di, You could put a disecq motor on a andrews but i would not recommend it, I myself have never been a big fan of these disecq mounts if i install a motorized dish i would never insatll a disecq motor i always say if your going to go motorized get a proper 36v jack & polor mount,

But if for some reson you got to use a disecq motor i would not use bigger than 80cm dish as it will not last long, but a bigger dish with a polor mont and 36v jack will last for years

That is my view on it,

wod said:
rd100, so a gibertini dish wouldn't be worth getting then as was looking to buy one as i thought they were good and also because they were aluminium so lighter than steel , easier for a motor to cope with

andrews dishes look the best but can you use DiSEcQ motors on them ?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Problem with all new alu/steel dishes is that they don't make the support at the back of the dish so good.

Look at Gibertini, in their case they would have designed their dish better by making a support ring at the back of the dish, that would take the wind pressure and prevent it from warping.

If you look at my Fibo they support the whole back of the dish which makes it strong, and with the Andrew dish there are ribs all over the back of the dish so it's even stronger than anything else.

Prodelin doesn't have that advanced back structure as Andrew got, they use less ribs, probably to cut manufacturing costs.

I have the Fibostöp 120cm also and i don't think the design of it is very good at all, first of all the backsupport ring is to small to make it solid, also they did go with some feedstruts for holding the heavy subreflector arm.

The 90cm is much better constructed and very solid.

Worst dishes i have seen are the Polish dishes, Mabo.

Just some bolt holes thru the steel to stabilize it, it will warp by blowing on it:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter that Andrew uses mesh under the gelcoat, it's neglible.

If you are under 2.54cm in hole size you can't see any performance difference from a solid dish.

I had the Winegard 3.1m mesh dish which was constructed for Ku-band and the holes was about 2.54cm, i could not tell the difference in performance from the Winegard and the solid aluminium dish.

But after 1 year or so the difference was obvious as the mesh dish lost it's shape and the surface took some beat from the strong winds as it was installed at the coast with wind blowing right in.

Most other fibreglass dishes used zinc/alu coat for the reflective surface, it was sprayed on to the surface, on top of that a thin 1mm gelcoat layer was sprayed.

That was the old/new school of making dishes, the Channel Master/Andrew is the old school when mesh was common in most dishes so they stuck with it.

I don't know any dish manufacturers these days that makes the fibreglass dishes the new school, there aren't many companies these days making dishes anymore as the whole market died 15 years ago.

We had two large manufacturers in Sweden making fibreglass dishes that was shipped all over the world to commercial installs, they were the best dishes ever made of fibreglass, it was sprayed zinc/alu.

Teleste in Finland also made 3 and 5 meter fibreglass dishes with the new method but those dishes are gone for long now, you can see some of the dishes in commercial installs.

Most dishes sold to consumers today are crap, real crap.

One example is the Wavefrontier dish where the whole dish warp when you tighten the bolts, you can see it in every install that the bolts put pressure on the reflector, just look at the two middle bolts.