best of the worst?

renn1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky dish and a fs4200, with sky hd+ and second dish to come in mid march. dell quad core computer.
My Location
durham
Our sky box died recently, so we cancelled the wife’s subscription and I’ve signed up for sky hd. To tide us over until installation, I wanted to get a cheap box, but all the reviews and comments I’ve found don’t really help.

Once sky is installed I intend to move the cheap box upstairs onto a 19” telly that has a HD panel but no hdmi socket (it has a vga socket). Freeview is rubbish in our area and even analogue is ropey with an internal aerial so the telly is just linked up to a divx player via the vga socket at the moment.

If the foxsat HD had a vga out I’d stretch to £95 and buy direct off humax, but without vga I might as well get an SD box. Really I want to spend as little as possible as this won’t get used too much, and I don’t know how much life sd has left in it.

I got a fortec star 4200 from maplin yesterday (as the guy said I could take it back if in mint condition), and unpacked it very carefully.

The epg is rubbish (now and next only), lots of channels are in 4:3 ratio and moving channels around is a bit of a pain. I chose this over the cheap SD freesat boxes because people questioned the reliability of them and I was not sure if you got all the FTA channels with freesat. I was wary of this because I thought it might not pick up channel 4 and 5 (it does).

I paid £40 for the fs4200 and would pay another £10-£15 if I got the epg and aspect ratio sorted. So, while you guys probably think all these boxes are horrible, what is the best buy of the sub£60 mob?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you want a decent epg then you have to have a Sky box or a proper Freesat box. Generic boxes rarely have more than now & next.

renn1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky dish and a fs4200, with sky hd+ and second dish to come in mid march. dell quad core computer.
My Location
durham
I read a write up on the 3 Alba freesat SD boxes (which was written about 5 months ago) that suggested they only show the channels that are on the freesat epg, and this does not include all fta.

Does anyone know is this is correct, or have I misread it?

Thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That is correct. But I believe that they have another menu where you can get ALL the FTA channels. Unfortunately, in this mode you also lose the Freesat EPG on the Freesat channels.

You can't have everything!