Best receivers for Fringe Reception

I think Woborny is well and truely in a fringe area - Gandi in Spain is pretty "fringe" and well out of the publushed 80cm area for the UK spot beam.
Gandia/Oliva is not fringe. It is one of the easiest areas in the whole of Spain for 2E/2F reception.
 
IIRC the test between a clients HDS the new HDS2 was on a 90x100cm dish in denia - back in march time
HDS was struggle with C4HD and Five (And most 2E UK beams) - HDS2 had no problems.
 
Last edited:
Gandia/Oliva is not fringe. It is one of the easiest areas in the whole of Spain for 2E/2F reception.

Maybe true - but it all depends on what the definition of "fringe" is - To my mind it is the outer edge of something - and everyone is Spain is on the outer edge of the normal reception area for the UK spot beam. Its just there are some quirks whereby some areas receive a much higher signal level that you would normally expect for that geographical location. Gandia and Valencia being prime examples. I can't really see how the use of the word "fringe" means "low signal" although that's how it appears to be being used here - and I don't want to fall out with Huevos as I respect very much of what he says on this forum.
 
Seriously folks. Is this thread about the best fringe reception receivers or what is actually classified as Fringe? Imo, receivers that have the most sensitive tuners would be the best for any reception. I'll throw my 2 cents in there for the dr hd f15 and the technomate 5302 with the x2 premium not far behind.
 
Maybe true - but it all depends on what the definition of "fringe" is
Well to me a receiver for fringe reception means one that can extract the last drop of signal from the dish. If you are already receiving a rock solid stable signal (using a 240cm dish in an 80cm reception area) and you still notice that the receiver is insensitive then it is most certainly not a fringe reception receiver.
 
Well to me a receiver for fringe reception means one that can extract the last drop of signal from the dish. If you are already receiving a rock solid stable signal (using a 240cm dish in an 80cm reception area) and you still notice that the receiver is insensitive then it is most certainly not a fringe reception receiver.

I totally agree. Either the receiver isn't worth the bother or the setup is way out of alignment.
 
Living in a scandinavian so called near null zone can get lock all my receivers ( 5 ) on the Freesat UK psb channels with 6 month old gibi. 125 cm when 2E does an axis wobble.
Have reverted to Uk psb streaming and thinking of selling the gibi dish.

Regards
 
I totally agree. Either the receiver isn't worth the bother or the setup is way out of alignment.

OK OK - I hear the messages. Re the receivers, I am not complaining about reception in my setup - just I note the Manhatten appears a little less sensitive than the Humax. It is causing no problems at all. The dish was adjusted by one of our very respected contrubuters and since he did that reeption has always been rock steady - even on 15 year old Amstrad sky box. I know 2.4 is overkill for my area but it was installed for 2D when that size was needed - and taking it down now would be more bother than it is worth so it stays. I am however wanting to put two receivers in our rental villa in Javea on a much smaller dish so really want to know what is best for that. So thanks for some good suggestions.
 
I am however wanting to put two receivers in our rental villa in Javea on a much smaller dish so really want to know what is best for that. So thanks for some good suggestions.
You've asked this several times now and the answer is still the same. I fitted LH110 dishes throughout the Costa Blanca between Sept 2012 and Feb 2014. Not had any complaint yet about one not working since 2E came online, but the signal is marginal in the south Costa Blanca. If you want to see data from the LH110 have a look here. That has been collecting data from an LH110 in Alicante every 10 minutes on every transponder ever since February 18th. In Javea signal is probably about 0.5-1.0dB stronger. But personally if the install was for me I would use a 1.4m offset dish just to have a little bit extra in reserve. BTW, in the table linked above channels are always watchable as long as transponder data doesn't say 0.00. And 8.00dB is very close to the limit for the 8PSK transponder reception limit.
 
You've asked this several times now and the answer is still the same. I fitted LH110 dishes throughout the Costa Blanca between Sept 2012 and Feb 2014. Not had any complaint yet about one not working since 2E came online, but the signal is marginal in the south Costa Blanca. If you want to see data from the LH110 have a look here. That has been collecting data from an LH110 in Alicante every 10 minutes on every transponder ever since February 18th. In Javea signal is probably about 0.5-1.0dB stronger. But personally if the install was for me I would use a 1.4m offset dish just to have a little bit extra in reserve. BTW, in the table linked above channels are always watchable as long as transponder data doesn't say 0.00. And 8.00dB is very close to the limit for the 8PSK transponder reception limit.

Thanks Huevos - I know I asked about dish sizes before and will be going with what has been recommended here but was still not sure on which receiver to get although now it seems I have a few suggestions.
 
I have just had my 2.4m Raven dish tweaked and optimised for 2E. I am only receiving Vertical TPs but now have all the channels I need one way or another but some of them suffer slight to medium pixellation at certain times of the day.

I currently have Amstrad DRX-890 receivers and use the recording and catch up facilities all the time so I MUST have Sky boxes. I am wondering if any of the newer Sky boxes have better tuners that will relieve the pixellation problems.

I have squeezed every last bit of signal out of the dish and it is so close to perfect reception it is tantalising. Any ideas?
 
Recording and Catchup? How about a Freesat Freetime PVR?
 
Recording and Catchup? How about a Freesat Freetime PVR?
I suppose I could connect one of the existing Sky+ to a smaller dish. And such a PVR to the big dish. Is it very sensitive?
 
Gandia/Oliva is not fringe. It is one of the easiest areas in the whole of Spain for 2E/2F reception.
I also thought gandia was a bit of a fringe area until I spent a 1.5 hours adjusting dish/lnb on all the weaker transponders until everything was ok even 10847.
I first adjusted it when 2e came into service and after a quick adjust I had all sd channels and some hd. After the recent fluctuation it pointed to a quite badly aligned dish(reprimanded myself later) which when properly(for me that is) adjusted I now have all freesat sd/hd all day. Always the first option before buying new kit for me.
 
I suppose I could connect one of the existing Sky+ to a smaller dish. And such a PVR to the big dish. Is it very sensitive?


Freesat Freetime is a generic description of the latest generation of Freesat gear, and I think Humax are again at the forefront.

I've no knowledge of Tuner Sensitivity - just thought I'd mention possible alternatives to BSkyB boxes :)
 
The other problem with Freesat receivers is that the future of the EPG frequency is unknown at present. If it ends up in the wrong place the receiver won't work.
 
No, that's a falsehood put about by a few uninformed folk.

The Humax Technical Director has explicitly refuted that rumour and, unsurprisingly, confirms that the boxes can happily find and utilise the EPG Data etc. wherever it may end up.

As such functionality is required by the Freesat spec., his comments apply equally to other proper Freesat boxes.

Don't believe everything you read on Forums!
 
No, that's a falsehood put about by a few uninformed folk.

The Humax Technical Director has explicitly refuted that rumour and, unsurprisingly, confirms that the boxes can happily find and utilise the EPG Data etc. wherever it may end up.

As such functionality is required by the Freesat spec., his comments apply equally to other proper Freesat boxes.

Don't believe everything you read on Forums!
Yes, I know. But we are talking about fringe reception, if the EPG ends up on a TP I can't receive the the receiver won't work.
 
Back
Top