Best receivers for Fringe Reception

can I use the the BBC iplayer with it in Spain? The Humax HD can "see" iplayer and the programmes but won't play any files if I select them - I suppose due to not being in the UK!

you need to run a UK VPN service (or smart dns) on the router to make it look like you are connecting from the uk and not spain.
No VPN = no uk ip address = no iplayer
 
I thought as much. but I also thought Linux receivers did not suffer in the same way / and if true does the TM nano have access to iplayer?
 
Last edited:
No iPlayer on any box without a TV license now as far as I know. Anyway if you have a recording box why would you need it. Got 4 satellite tuners in my main box so almost never miss anything.

These days a Linux box is super simple to set up. People that say otherwise are living in the past. If you need any help I could talk you through it on Skype.
 
officially Iplayers are only on sky and freesat satellite receivers. not other receivers afaik.

I got the players on my boxes (on the very few times when I use them - which with pvrs,like heuvos says, you rarely use the iplayers anyway), but don't have a uk tv licence... UK TV licences only required if you watch live tv in the UK - so far it does not apply to catchup services - but if and when it does, perhaps this is when they start to limit their availably on boxes...

other boxes, would rely on third party apps for access... so maybe there is a Linux based app for it - not too sure.
 
Bit off topic but:-

http://filmon-hdi-player.software.informer.com/3.1/

Handy when travelling and no tv access use it on your PC.

FilmOn HDi Player is a simple, neat, and handy application that offers a convenient way of watching online television channels from the comfort of your desktop. The only thing this application requires in order to let you to watch live TV streams on your desktop is a simple Internet connection.
Then connect to tv with HDMI cable and view uk freesat and other channels with no problems.

This option offers numerous other tv channels:D

Have used it now for over a year with adsl 2.5MB download on copper wires.

Try it and see.

Regards
 
This option not available ?.
The quote was "You could install BBC iplayer Enigma2 plugin". That is no longer the case. And if that news story is correct it will disappear from other devices too.
 
The quote was "You could install BBC iplayer Enigma2 plugin". That is no longer the case. And if that news story is correct it will disappear from other devices too.

I am looking into ways and means for the OP to get what he wants, i am not looking for an argument ;)
 
i am not looking for an argument ;)
Me neither. The thing is the question was asked nearly a year ago and at that time Enigma2 was a good option for iPlayer. So I just wanted to certain that if Joddle buys an E2 receiver he knows beforehand that is no longer the case (especially as I was one of the people that suggested that route).

Anyway even though iPlayer is no longer an option with these I would still highly recommend the TM-Nano-SE. Good tuner, snappy receiver, 7 day EPG, auto updating channel list (Freesat, Sky and many other providers).
 
Last edited:
There now is a android satellite box out there, if it gets proper support that's all we will be using imho in the near future.
 
Not here. Typical broadband is about 3mbs and rural connections 1mbs. We can only dream about the 24mbs+ service available to 90% of the UK public.
 
TM-Nano-OE. Good tuner, snappy receiver

Talking on topic Fringe reception, from my tests with the TM Nano , the skyboxf3s and the x2 beat the nano hands down.

Not here. Typical broadband is about 3mbs and rural connections 1mbs. We can only dream about the 24mbs+ service available to 90% of the UK public.

I am not talking streaming Huevos, i am talking plugins :).
 
Many thanks to all of you for the information - So it seems I have to rule out using the iplayer from the sat - ah well - as some have said the is always FilmOn and I do have the capacity to record - but as I won't be able to do catchup I must remember what to record at the time!! I think I will go along the road Huevos has suggested - for the price the Nano SE seems a decent little box and if it does everything I need I would be silly not to try it - and I will gain another recording facility. Expecially good for me at home. Alas this will all now have to wait until after easter so meanwhile I thank you all again for the information and advise.
 
As the opening post was about Best receivers for Fringe Reception

I will return tho the subject:-

The TM-F3/5 has a very sensitive tuner & ideal for weak signals as has the DrHD F15, Pace 2600C1, Sky DRX 595 and DRX890 & Technomate 5402 M1/M2 & M3,
But do not be misled by the higher than normal signal bar readings show more signal quality but in reality the tuners are no better than the TM6900/6902HD or SpiderboxHD9000 series,

Software upgrades on all receivers & various new images for Linux does effect the tuner sensitivity & accuracy of the DiSEqC motor control it all depends of the knowledge of the person doing the upgrades as I have found some upgrades do stop the receiver performing as it was intended by the designer,

Sharp satellite tuner's are known to be the best X403p 7306A or 7903A which is the best & what is in your satellite receiver ?

A good Lnb also helps Inverto Black Ultra is one of best as you are probably using the largest dish you can 300 to 450cm,

Also matching the LNB to the tuner will make a lot of difference when you are on the edge of a footprint,

These critical points become more serious when Astra 2G joins the Astra fleet @ 28.2 east if you live on the very edge of these footprints,

Current reception in Greece,Spain & Finland from Astra 2A & Eutelsat 28A will not be possible after the change over to just beams from 2E,2F & 2G.
 

Attachments

  • EUTELSAT_28A_Ku-band_Superbeam_Downlink_Coverage.webp
    EUTELSAT_28A_Ku-band_Superbeam_Downlink_Coverage.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 39
  • ASTRA_2F_europe_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    ASTRA_2F_europe_ku_band_beam_L.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 38
These critical points become more serious when Astra 2G joins the Astra fleet @ 28.2 east if you live on the very edge of these footprints,

Current reception in Greece,Spain & Finland from Astra 2A & Eutelsat 28A will not be possible after the change over to just beams from 2E,2F & 2G.
Not in this area. UK beam is no problem as a look at Analoguesat's map shows. Reception in most of Spain is possible on moderate sized dishes. Only real problem areas are Andalucia and Cataluña.
 
Back
Top