Best receivers for Fringe Reception

Time will tell that "real" changes have with the Astra2G, enjoy while playing for Spain.:-rofl2
El tiempo dira que cambios "reales" tenemos con el Astra2G, mientras toca disfrutar por España.
img_a4540.gif
 
Current reception in Greece,Spain & Finland from Astra 2A & Eutelsat 28A will not be possible after the change over to just beams from 2E,2F & 2G.
We've got some 2E Europe side lobes in Finland that give those with smaller (80cm-100cm) dishes a few wide beam transponders but yeah the days of a Sky zone 1 45cm minidish picking up the majority of Sky channels in Finland are over.
 
Current reception in Greece,Spain & Finland
The way I see it Spain does not fit into a group with Greece and Finland. Look at the attached map. Red line is 1.5º off centre. Finland, Greece and much of eastern Europe is well outside that line whereas most of Spain is well within it. Anyway, sadly, all this misinformation is encouraging people here to waste money on crap IPTV solutions and regret it later when they see how bad the quality is. Right now I'd say about 30% of my installs are for people who are fed up with their IPTV install.

Yellow = 0.4º
Blue = 0.5º
Green = 1º
Red = 1.5º
Black = 2º

2E-degrees-off-centre.webp
 
Last edited:
It was a compliment, that you seem to know best on this subject
Just local knowledge because I live here.

BTW, what image are you using on the Solo2. :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just local knowledge because I live here.

BTW, what image are you using on the Solo2. :cool:

I am currently using BlackHole 2.1.4 but not using the xbmc features at all, tbh it's not something i would take advantage of as i can use IPTV through my smart tv (with vpn enabled through router for certain region locks)
 
The way I see it Spain does not fit into a group with Greece and Finland.

Finland lost the UK spot when 2D was switched off a few years ago (as I assume Greece did too). Now you need a silly sized dish for some UK spot transponders. But we're now going to lose more of the Europe beam channels too when 2A and 28A go, which I think is what william-1 was suggesting.

I assume some areas of Spain might see degraded signals when 2G comes along and broadcasts UK spots on different frequencies to what is being used now and/or if the FEC is changed.

Basically, it's not great news for anyone too far out from the UK, but for different reasons. Spain is certainly in a better position though than those of us in the east, no argument there!!
 
I assume some areas of Spain might see degraded signals when 2G comes along and broadcasts UK spots on different frequencies to what is being used now and/or if the FEC is changed.
TBH, we've gained a lot with the new satellites. One of the best things is saying goodbye to the North beam stuff.
 
Right now I'd say about 30% of my installs are for people who are fed up with their IPTV install.
Pretty much the same here
 
Interesting info, chaps.
 
Interesting info, chaps.
Yep. It goes something like this. They buy the IPTV box and the picture is crap. Their neighbour has a 46" Samsung connected to an HD sat box and watching a nature documentary on BBC One HD. Picture is impressive. So they shoot out and get themselves a 46" or bigger Samsung Smart TV. Now they are really in trouble because the new super size TV show how poor the IPTV picture really is. And that is without even mentioning the continual buffering issues.
 
Yellow = 0.4º
Blue = 0.5º
Green = 1º
Red = 1.5º
Black = 2º
img_a4567.jpg
.

Feeling it much, the green line by Spain fails.
The image you see in this chart is more real (levels signal).
img_a4540.gif

----------
Sintiendolo mucho, la linea verde por España no cumple.
La imagen que vemos en este grafico es mas real (niveles de señal).
img_a4540.gif


alimentaciondescentrada.png


PS: I hope not to lose the bet (fritter and coffee)/Espero no perder la apuesta, porras y cafe.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 73838
Finland lost the UK spot when 2D was switched off a few years ago (as I assume Greece did too). Now you need a silly sized dish for some UK spot transponders. But we're now going to lose more of the Europe beam channels too when 2A and 28A go, which I think is what william-1 was suggesting.

I assume some areas of Spain might see degraded signals when 2G comes along and broadcasts UK spots on different frequencies to what is being used now and/or if the FEC is changed.

Basically, isn't not great news for anyone too far out from the UK, but for different reasons. Spain is certainly in a better position though than those of us in the east, no argument there!!

That is precisely what I meant,
When Eutelsat 28A moves from 28.5 east in the mid summer the footprint availability from 28E will shrink dramatically in Northern & Southern Europe,
As most of the channels on E28A will move to the European beams of the 3 remaining satellites 2E,2F & 2G Northern Scandinavia will prove very difficult to receive signals from 28E after the switch.
Below Astra 2G European beam,
ASTRA_2G_europe_ku_band_beam_M.webp

The Spanish will not miss the Northern beam of Astra 2A but Finland will see attached image below.
 

Attachments

  • astra-2a_northern_europe_ku_band_beam_M.webp
    astra-2a_northern_europe_ku_band_beam_M.webp
    48 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
X william-1

Hopefully, especially in Northern Europe, the European Astra2G beam is similar to Eutelsat 28A to the south at the time, now with 100cm Madrid OK, not really 200cm indicating footprint.
------------------
Esperemos, sobre todo por el norte de Europa ,que el haz Europeo de Astra2G sea similar al Eutelsat 28A por el sur en su momento, ahora por Madrid con 100cm bien y no los 200cm que indica la huella.
 
When Eutelsat 28A moves from 28.5 east in the mid summer the footprint availability from 28E will shrink dramatically in Northern & Southern Europe,
E28A is rubbish signal here. Much weaker than 2E/2F UK spot beam. But the 2/3 FEC compensates.
 
Noticed something the other day which I don't really understand. - I have a Manhatten HDS2 and 2 Humax Foxsat HD boxes, and both have a "manual tune" mode where other channels can be selected - however the Humax always picks up loads more additional channels than the Manhatten and its numbers go to 5999 whereas the Manhatten only goes to 3999 - what is and why the differences?
 
... Look at the attached map. Red line is 1.5º off centre. ...
Interesting that the beam centre appears to be in the Irish Sea just off the North Wales coast. Customarily the centre was previously somewhere in the Midlands.

Is this move based on sound knowledge or estimated? Is it to do with the much narrower focus perkaps? So that the entire British Isles can be reasonable contained within the 0.5ºcontour?

What happens to the contours if they are based on the old centre in the Midlands?
 
Interesting that the beam centre appears to be in the Irish Sea just off the North Wales coast. Customarily the centre was previously somewhere in the Midlands.
No it just looks like that because of the curvature of the earth. North/south centre is same latitude as Birmingham. And I moved the beam a bit west because it didn't properly reflect signal reports from RoI. So beam centre in that map is somewhere over South Wales just north of Cardiff. Either way I'd guess it is accurate to within about 50 miles.

Also if you compare a official 2D footprint with a 2F footprint you'll see 2D didn't extend to SW RoI like 2F does.
 
Back
Top