Best receivers for weak transponders

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Moonbase, in fact I disagree with this conclusion on f15 and TM-5402 m3. Receivers in my experience have different characteristics base on their software. One can only conclude tuner sensitivity where one receiver has a lock and the other didn't. I had the tm 5402 m3 and the Dr d15. Tuner sensitivity was same but the d15 allowed me see the signal early, though no lock while the technomate will show nothing but in the end, both will lock at same time, making the d15 a far better choice for hunting. However, for tuner sensitivity, the octagon sf8008, starsat 200hd extreme and axhd60 are equal and far better than both d15 and TM-5402 m3. Still have the tm but problem with d15 video board issue, if someone can help. Tried getting one years back but as soon as the guy at Dr noticed I was in Ghana, Africa, he said they didn't support China products and never listened to my explanation that I got the receiver from Europe. I still have TM-5402 m2 but the scanner is very poor, and if one manages to input the channels onto the by other means, the tuner was good enough to hold.

I was not referring to a Dr HD D15, I was comparing a TM-5402 (M3) with a Dr HD F15 receiver.

Have you used a Dr HD F15 receiver for testing and comparisons with other receivers including the Octoagon SF8008?
It would be interesting to have your feedback.

Last edited:

ymttt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 meter fiber dish, modified mti highline lnb, tm5402 m3 receiver
My Location
Ghana, West Africa
I have a DR HD D15, an SF8008, and the GT Media Combo. The least sensitive is the DR.HD D15 and it won't recognise some signals the other two will. The SF8008 and the GT Media Combo are very similar and good. The DR.HD D15 can search within limits and has signal level in dBs. The LNB you use is important too particularly when looking for low symbol rate signals. Look for one with the phase lock loop design of local oscillator. When looking for feeds the GT Combo is a winner revealing most signals with minimum intervention by the user.
This confirm my findings on octagon sf8008 and drhd d15 which particular pll lnb is the winner in your experience. Trying to get my first pll lnb with my beloved mti highline getting extinct
I was not referring to a Dr HD D15, I was comparing a TM-5402 (M3) with a Dr HD F15 receiver.

Have you used a Dr HD F15 receiver for testing and comparisons with other receivers including the Octoagon SF8008?
I dont have the F15 so I haven't compared. But the point i was trying to drum home was that until the f15 locked a signal where the tm5402 m3 failed, one couldn't say for sure that the F15 tuner had a better tuner. What one could say however was the F15 saw the signal earlier and thus better for feed hunting. i referred to my own experience where the D15 saw the signal way early before the tm5402 m3 but in the end, both receivers locked at the same time. In another test of mine with a Strong receiver SRT 4910, that receiver saw the signal earlier than the tm5402 m3 but as the signal improved, the tm5402 m3 obtains a lock where the SRT 4910 didn't. In my view, therefore, the better tuner was the one that was able to obtain a lock first, but not the one that saw it first. The receiver that saw the signal first was the better for feed hunting only.

ymttt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 meter fiber dish, modified mti highline lnb, tm5402 m3 receiver
My Location
Ghana, West Africa

I knew you were not referring to D15 but F15. I was only drawing attention to receiver behaviour due to software differences.