Best Value System

Xenophobic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm completely new to this forum so forgive me if I sound dumb to you "elite" lol.

What would be your suggestion for the setup which would enable you to have the most channels for the least amount of money?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Welcome..

Difficult to answer as it really depends on a lot of answers to questions...

How much you have to spend
Where you are in the World
How much of the South sky you can see clearly
What channels you must have
How much you know about computers
If you have broadband, would you believe
Are you good at DIY and could set it up yourself
How much hair you have to pull out

If you answer any of these I will help all I can..

Xenophobic

Reaction score
How much you have to spend = £200 Max
Where you are in the World = Kent (England)
How much of the South sky you can see clearly = Quite alot (everyone has sky around here)
What channels you must have = Mixture (Entertainment, Movies, Adult, etc)
How much you know about computers = An advanced computer user
If you have broadband = Not at the moment
Are you good at DIY and could set it up yourself = Yes
How much hair you have to pull out = A typical French crops worth :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You may not get a full motorised system for £200 but you could start with a fixed dish and save for a motor.

The Dreambox 500 is the basic model that can be used to open a lot of channels with a lot of hard work and a bit of computer knowledge.

You can get cheap LNBs and Dishes every-so-often at Lidl otherwise try eBay or dealers with special offers.

You can get all the help you need here to set it up and get you up working.

Xenophobic

Reaction score
Do you think the £200 odd pound for a DreamBox 7000 (Seen on Ebay) would be advisable?

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
I would be tempted to leave the dreambox for now as you may find using a "simpler" stb such as an echo dsb808 or 890 easier to use and get going. I expect it would be more rewarding to get the dreambox working, but you can always sell the simple stb later. you can pick up basic 2ci stbs on ebay for around £100 or so. You can get a matrix cam for about £50 these days, and if you can manage it, a 80cm dish and diseqc motor for less than £100. Conversely, a cheap (ie LIDL) 80cm dish and a monoblock LNB could be bought for not much more than £50.

But don't forget you will need brackets, poles, cables etc if you intend to do it yourself, which can add up to another £50, plus drilling holes in the side of your house.

But it is good fun, and definitely worth it, if you are prepared to put the effort in to make it all work. Plus everyone here is willing to assist.