Bizarre ..silly ..or Just Plain Daft ?

Superb, Evan!

Next stop Mars?
 
Vipersan said:
Removed all the shelves from the gas oven ...and popped the extension in ..

Just for reference.....gas 4 or 5??.....
 
sonnetpete said:
Just for reference.....gas 4 or 5??.....
....err 6 I think..
;)
 
In an ideal world I'd know someone who could pop down with a portable welding kit and run a seam around the bottom edge of the overlap ..
Trouble is ..I don't so now I'm searching through friends and relatives ..for anyone capable of welding stainless to stainless..
I could secure with bolts but a welded seam would give me more peace of mind.
rgds
VS
 
Will the extra inches on pole make all that much difference to signal ?

with a tree nearby I put my dish higher up and it slightly helps but makes adjusting pain in the arse.

maybe ninja time in the night and lob some more off the tree, any chance of borrowing a sharp sword lol.

also the tree being there maybe helps hide the dishes as never know someone could complain if it wasn't there.
 
Its not the proximity of the tree to the west Wod ...its the proximity of the wall on the Eastern side ..so yes ..it will make a difference up to 36 east...
The wall being less than 2 mtres in front of the dish.
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
Its not the proximity of the tree to the west Wod ...its the proximity of the wall on the Eastern side ..so yes ..it will make a difference up to 36 east...
The wall being less than 2 mtres in front of the dish.
rgds
VS

Mod the motor with actuator for elevation adjustment maybe ?
 
Sadly that wouldn't gain anything Wod .
I can track the arc perfectly ..once set up ..
Sadly part of the arc to the east around 36 deg is directly through a brick wall at close proximity..thanks to the forward position afforded by fitting a motor..
Elevation control won't fix this ..
I either take down part of the wall ..
Do-able but messy..
Move the mount pole back about 9 inches ..which is again messy ..and would cause problems for the PF behind due to increased height afforded by the motor.
This isn't a serious problem ..but moving the pole would be..
Or finally ...adding a few inches of height to the pole ..
Easiest option ..and likely to gain back the loss of arc due to forward positioning of the motor.
There you have it ..
The extra height gained by the pole extension is approx 12 inches +
What would you do ?
rgds
VS
:)
 
A bit over simplified but this is what I hope to do by extending the pole..

As you can see more height clears the wall ...

As does placing further back ..

The lower dish is why it now clips the arc ..moving the dish forward due to the motor effectively pushes the dish at the wall.

wheras it didn't when simply fixed on the pole without a motor.

yes ..its _that_ critical

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • Neils postioning.webp
    Neils postioning.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 16
Vipersan said:
Sadly that wouldn't gain anything Wod .
I can track the arc perfectly ..once set up ..
Sadly part of the arc to the east around 36 deg is directly through a brick wall at close proximity..thanks to the forward position afforded by fitting a motor..
Elevation control won't fix this ..
I either take down part of the wall ..
Do-able but messy..
Move the mount pole back about 9 inches ..which is again messy ..and would cause problems for the PF behind due to increased height afforded by the motor.
This isn't a serious problem ..but moving the pole would be..
Or finally ...adding a few inches of height to the pole ..
Easiest option ..and likely to gain back the loss of arc due to forward positioning of the motor.
There you have it ..
The extra height gained by the pole extension is approx 12 inches +
What would you do ?
rgds
VS
:)

that should help and your hoping the offset angle of the dish will mean the signal from 36e will come over the top of the wall ?

i've never really looked to see if i could get anything off 36e, not sure if my cm 1metre would get anything.
 
wod said:
that should help and your hoping the offset angle of the dish will mean the signal from 36e will come over the top of the wall ?.
You got it ...and I'm 99% certain it will..
I can't see futher east when the troublesome tree is in leaf anyway..

wod said:
i've never really looked to see if i could get anything off 36e, not sure if my cm 1metre would get anything.

..yes I expect you will get a handful of channels Wod ..
I can get a few on the TD110 with a black ultra..
 
Vipersan said:
..yes I expect you will get a handful of channels Wod ..
I can get a few on the TD110 with a black ultra..

any strong tps to try out ?
 
Try 11438H 8250
Telemedia feeds..
These are usually quite strong ..and one usually has a polish(Eastern Bloc ?) girl stripping off during the course of a night ..as punters phone in and try and answer questions
A sort of strip phone quiz..
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
Try 11438H 8250
Telemedia feeds..
These are usually quite strong ..and one usually has a polish(Eastern Bloc ?) girl stripping off during the course of a night ..as punters phone in and try and answer questions
A sort of strip phone quiz..
rgds
VS

just tried a few tps and surprised i'm getting good signals on my vantage x221ci, 11428h is rather strong,12508h is very strong signal, i can also get Objieqtivi TV on 11431h with an sr of 1449
 
...Not as yet CJ ..
Still waiting for a break in the rain ..so that my friend can come down and weld the extension to the pole..
All arranged ..but the weather won't play the game..
rgds
VS
 
Got my extension welded last night ..

Not the perfect seam I wanted ..but Stainless steel is a pig to weld ..even with the correct Argon mix of gas.

Still ..its done and will be smoothed a little with the angle grinder ..and a cuff of flashbanding to protect the weld ..

This morning I drilled through and fitted 2 x 4 inch stainless bolts for extra rigidity ..

Pleased so far ..and will try Neil at full height first and see how much obstruction he creates ..

If excessive the extension will then be reduced in 3 inch stages to find the optimum compromise.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0151.webp
    DSCF0151.webp
    149.5 KB · Views: 21
Well ..Neil was thrown up facing due south approx to provide maximum obstruction to Christina..

..I'm pleasantly surprised in that I only lose about 0.4 db at 1W ...0.2db at 3 East and 5 West..

..and maybe 0.5db at 10 East..

In other words ..nothing I can't live with ..and I always have the option to steer Neil Edge on to Christina If neccessary..

Placing Neil exactly due south of Christina was the right choice..

Now to start setting up Neil again..but most of the adjustments should have remained close enough to make this easier.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0152.webp
    DSCF0152.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0153.webp
    DSCF0153.webp
    81.9 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top