Bizarre ..silly ..or Just Plain Daft ?

aceb said:
Bottle of Roundup, 10mm drill, darkness.... problem solved.


Like the way you are thinking....disguised as a nonchalent dog perhaps.
 
Piltdownpaul said:
Like the way you are thinking....disguised as a nonchalent dog perhaps.

Think I'd be spotted carrying a martini though...
;)
 
Anyone with a similar sized Gibby want to give me a signal level report from the Huntington Beach transponder @ 22W ..for comparison purposes ?
This one I should have clear line of sight to ..without wall clipping.
thanks

..In fact the three points I need for comparison are Al Jazera @33w
BBC world news 0.8W
Channel 4 mux @28.2 East..
Just to check I'm tracking the arc correctly..
rgds
VS
 
Seek and ye shall find ..

What about this bit of kit..

3 inch diameter straight steel tube with flared end to extend..

??

certainly worth considering..

rgds

VS

ebay - 310425042974
 

Attachments

  • exhaust.webp
    exhaust.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 13
Vipersan said:
Anyone with a similar sized Gibby want to give me a signal level report from the Huntington Beach transponder @ 22W ..for comparison purposes ?
This one I should have clear line of sight to ..without wall clipping.
thanks

..In fact the three points I need for comparison are Al Jazera @33w
BBC world news 0.8W
Channel 4 mux @28.2 East..
Just to check I'm tracking the arc correctly..
rgds
VS

hi -- a bit late maybe -- and not with a gibertini -- but with channel master 1.2 into F 15 receiver
i,m getting--

15.7 to 16.0db on huntingdon beach

17.2 to 17.4db on bbc world

15.6 to 15.8db on al jazeera

17.6 to 17.8db on channel 4

hope this is of some use to you ---

ragards --- :)
 
Vipersan said:
Anyone with a similar sized Gibby want to give me a signal level report from the Huntington Beach transponder @ 22W ..for comparison purposes ?
This one I should have clear line of sight to ..without wall clipping.
thanks

..In fact the three points I need for comparison are Al Jazera @33w
BBC world news 0.8W
Channel 4 mux @28.2 East..
Just to check I'm tracking the arc correctly..
rgds
VS

Huntingdon Beach is 16.6dB
Not sure where to find Al Jaz?
BBC on .8W is 18.1
Ch4 10714 is 17.0dB
 
There's an Al Jazeera at 30W, 12092 V 27500.
 
On the Fibo 120 (light drizzle):

Al Jaz 30W - 16.7dB
Huntingdon beach 22W - 16.0 - 16.5dB
BBC World 0.8W - 17.8dB
 
Vipersan said:
Seek and ye shall find ..
What about this bit of kit..
3 inch diameter straight steel tube with flared end to extend..
??
certainly worth considering..
rgds
VS
ebay - 310425042974

Not a bad idea and is one I used to widen my 2" pole (ooerr) to fit the Channel Master rings. Be careful of the thickness of the steel though to make sure it doesn't collapse easy under the weight of the motor+Neil.
 
Thanks for the reports guys ..
much appreciated ...
I guess theres a bit more tweaking to be done ..assuming the dish isn't slightly distorted or some such.
It apparently had a rough life tavelling over Europe..as evidenced by a few knocks an dinks.
However these are my results
Al Jaz 30W 14.2db
Huntington22W 13.6db
BBC World 1W 14.1db
Eins Plus 19E 14.3 db
CH4 28.2E 16.2db

I know the wall is causing some signal loss at the eastern end ...and I know I've had more at the top of the arc ..so there's still room for more adjustment yet..
But I'd say the results confirm the true arc is very close indeed.
Cheers mates ..
A good weekends work I think.
VS
 
Vipersan said:
..assuming the dish isn't slightly distorted or some such...
...
BBC World 1W 14.1db

Wouldn't have thought so. Didn't you get 17dB from this one when it wasn't on the motor? Or do you think the wall might be obscuring even the highest satellite? Have checked for line of sight from the bottom of the dish using the old protractor/spirit level/string method? Or inclinometer and string...
 
Captain Jack said:
Wouldn't have thought so. Didn't you get 17dB from this one when it wasn't on the motor? Or do you think the wall might be obscuring even the highest satellite? Have checked for line of sight from the bottom of the dish using the old protractor/spirit level/string method? Or inclinometer and string...

Yep you are quite right CJ ..there is another factor to be considered at 1W ...there is the remains of a tree which I had felled some 15 years ago ...
The stump did start growing again ..and I do cut this every year to keep it under control ..
It has no effect on the PF ..and didn't appear to have any effect with the Gibby back 9 inches ..but _could_ just be clipping now its further forward ..
I'll grab a pic and post it up to show you what I mean..
Not a worry though as this is easily trimmed ..
rgds
VS
 
2 pics ..The tree remains ..1West ..

futher back from Christinas perspective ...further forward = neils view.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0141.webp
    DSCF0141.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0142.webp
    DSCF0142.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
Yes, that could well be it. Still, you are a little down on signal levels compared to others so maybe a little tweaking is all that's required. Are you going for that exhaust pipe extender idea?
 
Captain Jack said:
Yes, that could well be it. Still, you are a little down on signal levels compared to others so maybe a little tweaking is all that's required. Are you going for that exhaust pipe extender idea?
Still not had a reply from the company selling the exhaust pipe ..
I needed a bit more info before comitting ..wall thickness and internal diameter particularly ..plus the length of the flared section of the extender.
I'll let you know ..
rgds
VS
 
There's also this - 110945872162. He can create a joiner if you are to get another piece of 3" tubing (I think the thickness is about 1.5mm). I would definitely urge you for a reinforcement at the top if you did this though.

Or a ready made one - 320679020337
 
Captain Jack said:
There's also this - 110945872162. He can create a joiner if you are to get another piece of 3" tubing (I think the thickness is about 1.5mm). I would definitely urge you for a reinforcement at the top if you did this though.

Or a ready made one - 320679020337

Nice products CJ ..
The only reason I _prefered_ to go for the flared pipe approach was that there would only be one joint at the overlap ..so less room for error ...the extension pipe itself being part of the joint assembly.
Obviously it would need some rigid clamping and possibly a bolt through to avoid rotation ..but doable if solid enough.
rgds
VS
 
Managed to squeeze a little more this morning ..in between showers..

roughly 1.5>2db accross the arc 28East to 30 West..

Plus a little further East ..

Locking the broadlogic testcard at 33 East..


11603 V

tp B4 Skylogic DVB-S 15710-3/4



[Rete Map test card


at 5.5 db -ish


Tried in vain for 36 East ...3 degrees further East ..which to me indicates that I was right in that Neil is dipping too low behind the wall at this point.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0143.webp
    DSCF0143.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 14
Oh blimey. Yes, that TP is very strong for me >15dB. The weakest one is TV8 Mont Blanc, which barely goes over 6dB (strangely, it's at 40% SNR on my Uno/Penta 85).


Have you ordered your extension gizmos?
 

Attachments

  • Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 15
Not Yet CJ..
I got a reply from the guy ..who said the bore diameter of the flare was _about_75mm..
My pipe is deffo 76mm ..
Its a close call but I may risk it ..
waste of money if it doesn't do the job ..but if all else fails I can re-shape the wall ..lol
Just waiting for another reply to confirm the length of the flared overlap..
if its about 6 inches ..I'll risk it ..
I can always lengthen the slot in the side ..to allow a bit of movement ..
Then there's the blowlamp ...If I can get the flare hot enough ..it should expand a mm or 2 ...once cooled it'll be a very tight fit indeed.
So many things to consider..but nothing finalised as yet.
;)
 
Back
Top