Bizarre ..silly ..or Just Plain Daft ?

Vipersan said:
Sorry CJ ...that sadly doesn't work as it trouble negotiating the right angles ..

Time to tell how I did it I guess ..
a cork about an inch diameter was used with a hole through it ..
the guide wire then passed through the cork and knotted ..
Fed into the tube this would do little on its own ..so a good wad of toilet tissue packed behind it like wadding in a cannon ..
You can see where this is going ..
water pressure courtesy of the lake district was then used to blow the cork and wadding ..through the pipe till it emerged t'other end ...
Anyone who has had a blocked drain ..will be familiar with this method..
;)
rgds
VS

I am impressed by your soltion.
Wold have used a spring wire myself, but your soltion is great.

Regards
BM300
:)
 
Vipersan said:
...Not long now ..
I shall be popping the gibby on the pole 'fixed' until I decide which way to go re the motor system ..
..but at least the _groundwork_ (pardon the pun...) is almost done ..
White hell with the all the dust ..and much cleaning up tomorrow..
But the conduit/cabling is in ..and the patio paving slabs re-layed.
I knackered and have earned a long soak in the bath ..
c u later mates..
VS

Well done VS, yet another project to showcase your ingenuity.......and congrats on getting the paving slabs re-laid.......makes the yard look much tidier......
 
I like the pipe work, for the wires, but do you cap the top off, feeding the wires through holes in the cap, or use some other method?
 
Hi Mickha..Not exactly capped ..
once the wires are set exactly as I want 'em ..I'll push a wad of toilet paper in about an inch down inside the pipes ...and then use a pvc frame sealant to top it off and make a secure bung that can be removed to run or replace a cable if needed ..

Making a plug from liquid plastic using a similar method for the top of the mount pole..
The Gibby should be in place by teatime today..

rgds
VS
 
I look forward to the new pictures, and a report on performance.
 
As promised ..to myself that is ..The Gibby is up in all its glory ..

Paving slabs pointed ..plus a few bits of pointing in the wall ...(more to do)


Bit of a tidy up ..

Liquid plastic plug made for the mount pole ..

I'll test it on 36East later today..

Now it needs a name ..

I thought Neil ....

Somehow seemed fitting.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0101.webp
    DSCF0101.webp
    135.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0102.webp
    DSCF0102.webp
    153.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0103.webp
    DSCF0103.webp
    98.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0104.webp
    DSCF0104.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0105.webp
    DSCF0105.webp
    135.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0106.webp
    DSCF0106.webp
    105.6 KB · Views: 57
I take it you had spaghetti for lunch today?
 
Tivù said:
I take it you had spaghetti for lunch today?

..knew there was _something_ I forgot to do today ..
Eat ..
Been working since 9 this morning surviving on cups of tea...
;)
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
As promised ..to myself that is ..The Gibby is up in all its glory ..
Paving slabs pointed ..plus a few bits of pointing in the wall ...(more to do)

Bit of a tidy up ..
Liquid plastic plug made for the mount pole ..
I'll test it on 36East later today..
Now it needs a name ..
I thought Neil ....
Somehow seemed fitting.
rgds
VS

Looks good VS :)

Neil, very good - you need to, erm, kneel to get to the front of the dish :-DOH!
 
..Done for the day ..

tidied up the wiring ...(less spaghetti) ...

Pointed Neil at 36 East but can't quite set the elevation low enough ..

This being the Gibbys limit as a fixed dish on a vertical pole.

Still ..not bad results on Iraquia sports ..(8.5db)

Will have to wait till tomorrow for the SSB ..(wrong time of day)

A final couple of pics ...some taken outside my yard ..just to see how much of Neil is visible..

You can just see him peeking over the wall ...but well low enough so as not to attract attention..

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0107.webp
    DSCF0107.webp
    128.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0108.webp
    DSCF0108.webp
    119.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0109.webp
    DSCF0109.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0110.webp
    DSCF0110.webp
    77.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0111.webp
    DSCF0111.webp
    108.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0112.webp
    DSCF0112.webp
    129.4 KB · Views: 39
Very nice! I'll need to visit VS station one day...

Looking forward to reception reports.
 
Al-Iraqia Sport is around 11dB here on the Fibo. Sub-Saharan 12245H is 5db-ish. During the day it's up to 6.5dB - quite cloudy here though and I not sure if it's raining where my dish is!
 

Attachments

  • Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 41
  • subs.webp
    subs.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 31
Vipersan said:
..Done for the day ..
tidied up the wiring ...(less spaghetti) ...
Pointed Neil at 36 East but can't quite set the elevation low enough ..
This being the Gibbys limit as a fixed dish on a vertical pole.

Unless you invert the dish.

I'm surprised you didn't call him Max
 
Channel Hopper said:
Unless you invert the dish.

I'm surprised you didn't call him Max

...As in Max Headroom ????
Granted there ain't much of that underneath it ....unless your name's Gimli
:)

..just seen the Max RIP thread ..
never a big fan ...but still sad to see his passing..
 
...So thats ..6 dishes I can access now ..if you include the mini and the TD88 at the back of my dads..
Do I qualify as having a 'Farm' now ??
;)
 
..Tried again this morning for the one SSB beam I could theoretically get ..(currently just getting 3.5db)

But currently not possible and the pic tells all ..

It may be that I just had the Gibby positioned a few inches to the west or further south when it was on top of the table..

Thats how critical it was..

Yes ..its down to the troublesome tree as usual..

I'm not too disheartened as 36 east was a bonus anyway ..

I originally thought I wouldn't 'see' further than 30 East anyway ...and then there are the winter months which might provide a bit more Eastward reception.

It'll have to do as is..

Short of a freak directed lightning strike ..the TT has to stay.

rgds

VS

;)
 

Attachments

  • Neil and the TT.webp
    Neil and the TT.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 43
That's a shame VS. Wouldn't have minded comparing your reports with mine.

Vipersan said:
Short of a freak spill of a few gallons of diesel ..the TT has to stay.

Fixed :D

What's your new SES-5 like? Are you getting anything from there on either the Gibby or TD110?
 
...Not easy to test with Neil atm as its fixed ...but did get the first test transponder unmodulated on the TD110 ..
Are there modulated signals to try now ? ...a bit out of the loop as I've been so busy ..
Give me a few difficult ones to try for ...and I'll give it a go soon .
rgds
VS
 
Back
Top