Bizarre ..silly ..or Just Plain Daft ?

Ok ..

Paul your turn m8 ...as youve already been through this process ..

Luckilly the adapter plate is already drilled courtesy of digi ..

The sun is out ..so I quickly assembled all parts as seemed logical ...the manual being all but useless..

Does this look correct in your opinion ?

picture attached..

Nothing really bolted up tight yet other than the pole clamp..


I wont be able to drive the dish as the Gbox I ordered hasn't arrived yet ..and I don't want to borrow a Vbox from Christina ..as I'd have all that setting up to do ..again.


..but it would be nice to have everything ready.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0116.webp
    DSCF0116.webp
    186.8 KB · Views: 23
Looks ok to me, similar look to the discontinued jaeger smr 1224 motor.

The top two brackets will lower/ higher the dish elevation etc.

Once you get the motor elevation angle correct then the dish angle wont take long to get right aligning on 1west
 
..Can't do any more for the moment ..so took some time out to make a reducing end for the above ground conduit feed ..

Reduced from waste pipe size (underground) to about 1 inch for standard round cable conduits (above ground)..

Dont need anything as bulky as waste water pipe clipped to the walls..

rgds

VS


..If a thing doesn't exist...

Make it exist

;)

Liquid plastic is your friend.....
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0120 (1).webp
    DSCF0120 (1).webp
    135.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0121.webp
    DSCF0121.webp
    156.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0122.webp
    DSCF0122.webp
    110.9 KB · Views: 26
Sorry Evan, just got in so looks like I'm too late but yes, everything looks OK. It's actually not as the manual shows it (the adjusting brackets at the bottom) but this way works better for the Gibby. I also ditched the metalwork that adjusts the dish offset too, it looks a PITA to set up and is redundant with the Gibby bracket. Some pics of mine, you can see the two sections of extrusion behind the dish, I may even extend these to increase the amount of - value inclination available.

When it came to setting it up, I initially set the dish angle up when it was fixed to an already correctly set diseqc motor, just meant I only had to set the H180 main angle and it was very close to tracking correctly. One of the advantages of living within sight of the meridian line means I can also check the motor azimuth by the count from 0 to 45W and 45E, 552 each way FWIW :)
 

Attachments

  • gib1.webp
    gib1.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 24
  • gib2.webp
    gib2.webp
    156.7 KB · Views: 24
  • gib3.webp
    gib3.webp
    94.4 KB · Views: 26
Like British Rail as was...we're getting there..

;)

The extra height creams another 0.3db from AFN @0.8West ...but I can live with it ..and of course once motorisation is complete ..I can always turn Neil edge on ..

But looking good so far..

Too dark for any more work this evening ..but hopefully dry and sunny again tomorrow..

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0123.webp
    DSCF0123.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0124.webp
    DSCF0124.webp
    76.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0125.webp
    DSCF0125.webp
    78.1 KB · Views: 25
Captain Jack said:
Nice... but where do you put your washing?
.....errrr...Round at my mums if neccessary...
But shouldn't cause much of an issue anyway ...
;)
 
..Question to Paul..
Do you happen to know the angle of the the black back plate ...and the declination angle of the Gibby you are currently using ?
Oh ..and also the motors elevation setting on the scale near the pivot nuts..
Knowing these in advance will make the final setup much easier ...as they wont be that much different at my location..
It would give me a good start point ...and I have an inclinometer so can set these roughly the same to start with.
rgds
VS
 
Bit late to check it now Evan, I'll be back home around 12.30 tomorrow so can check them then if that's any good?
 
..Couldn't resist a little play..

Fitted the lnb arm ...and pointed the motor roughly due south..

Digi had left the actual sat position around 0.8W ..and so figured ..since I couldn't drive it yet ..

I'd play around with the Elevation and declination ..to get 'familiar' with it.

Set the Elevation at roughly 37 deg

And the Declination approx 7.5 deg ...went inside and checked the F15

Extension arms from the extension plate fully extended..

BBCworld was already on screen at a healthy 16.9db.

I guess its just a waiting game now ..till the Gbox arrives.

:D

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0132.webp
    DSCF0132.webp
    129 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0134.webp
    DSCF0134.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 17
Nice! Nothing like getting your first signal from a new installation! I wonder which would win the shooting match between a Fib 120, a Gibby 1.25 and Channel Master 1.2m....

By the way, is dish more visible now from the outside as it has been raised slightly by the motor..
 
A definate yes CJ...but not excessively so ..

Here's a photo taken from roughly the same spot..

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0135.webp
    DSCF0135.webp
    165.2 KB · Views: 18
Evan, can you remind me what your other dishes are? Why didn't you replace your TD110 with this Gibby? Having a Moteck H180 means you probably don't need as much clearance behind the wall for the PM jack arm. I guess the dish itself would hit the wall but a new set of T&K would put you straight.

A bit late now so this is all hypothetical :)
 
Very good VS. Looking forward to your reports when the clockwork starts whirring... :-rofl2
 
TD110 (motorised) Tom
TD88 (at my dads motorised) Dick
Sky mini (fixed) Harry
2.2 pf alcoa modded(Motorised) Christina
60cm faval (motorised - eventually dedicated KA) - not named yet
1.3m Gibby (motorised) Neil


And it was purely a question of weight at exposed height plus the visual impact of such a large dish ..jobsworths might then complain ..and have an impact on Christina's existance..
..but all as you say ..academic now..
rgds
VS
 
Erm how many more dishes do you want as there's is a few on the wall.

Your neighbours must be very understanding.

Don't you want a garden lol
 
wod said:
Erm how many more dishes do you want as there's is a few on the wall.

Your neighbours must be very understanding.

Don't you want a garden lol

Yes they are ....
and
No I don't..
lol


The neighbours are _very_ understanding ...even to the point of helping me with digging holes ..and lifting heavy gear into position..
They all know I'm an eccentric nutter..
;)

..other folk plant flowers ..
I plant steel and aluminium mushrooms..
 
...and the Gbox ...or should I say V-Box 500 just arrived ..so more fun for me this evening and tomorrow.

..and its got one of those nasty continental 2 pin plugs on it ..
..and no adapter..as per.
rgds
VS
 
Back
Top