Bizarre ..silly ..or Just Plain Daft ?

Pleasant here ..when the sun appears between the cloud cover...but wouldn't call it hot.
Gradually creeping closer I think ..
15.5db bbc world 1 W
13.2db Al Jazera Hispasat 30 W ..
Still no sign of RASD @45W ..
But the signs are the arc is forming nicely.
Difficult on this motor as fine adjustment isn't its forte..
Dig deep mate ..and lotsa cold drinks.
Sadly work on the dish will be suspended till post 5pm ..as I have to go open my shop soon.
rgds
VS
 
This page is always worth bookmarking, useful theory stuff then example 2.
_http://www.satsig.net/polmount.htm
 
...A final check of the Eastern arc ..shows 28 East to have dropped in level significantly since my last adjustments ..so looks like the azimuth needs a tweak..
That bottom scale under the motor is all but useless in the UK ..so its more 'fly my the seat of yer pants' I think.
rgds
VS
 
Well ...I finally got this motor tracking the arc fairly well ..with 13.2 db Al Jazera from 30 West..
15.4 db BBC world at 0.8West...and a max signal of 11.2 db Channel 4 at 28 west..
No amount of tweaking will pull a signal from 36 east ...nor indeed barely 2db from 11603 V
Skylogic @33 east..
My conclusion ..is a bit sickening from my perspective..
The Gibby is now 9 inches closer to the wall ..thanks to the H180 and sundry bracketry...and this isn't compensated for by the increase in height.
So looks like I'm restricted to 28 deg East on this construction.
To say I'm gutted is an understatement.
:(
rgds
VS
 
Well done VS, that must have taken a lot of playing with, to get even those figures:)
Have you tried for 39E and 42E?
 
Mickha said:
Well done VS, that must have taken a lot of playing with, to get even those figures:)
Have you tried for 39E and 42E?

Not a lot of point trying for those buddy...as I said I'm on reduced signal at 28 east
...so anything East of this dies rapidly..

36 East _was_ my limit pre H180
rgds
VS
 
That's a shame, is it the tree that's blocking the signal? Just gone back through the thread, to view some pictures, and the tree is all I can see in the one I've found.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0132.webp
    DSCF0132.webp
    129 KB · Views: 13
Mickha said:
That's a shame, is it the tree that's blocking the signal? Just gone back through the thread, to view some pictures, and the tree is all I can see in the one I've found.
View attachment 44574
Yep thats the one ...the troublesome tree..
puts the block on everything really east of 36 east to about 55 east..
so..I am blocked by a wall ..and a tree now...
at least when the Gibby was fixed on the pole ..36 East was doable..
rgds
VS
 
Does the tree belong to a neighbour, or the council? I assume there's no chance of a good pruning:)
 
Is there any chance of fixing the dish on a bracket on the wall facing the tree above tree level?
 
The lower branches of the tree were trimmed some time back ..but the height I was told has to remain.
No chance re the wall BM300
The tree is much higher than any wall facing it...
This installation was all a compromise anyway from the start..as I'm limited for space..
I wasn't unhappy when I didn't expect to see past 30 East ...but having discovered it possible ..and then to have it taken away by the forward reach of the motor is a bit upsetting..
I am though considering a method of getting those 9 inches back somehow..without moving the pole..but it will probably come to nothing.
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
Yep thats the one ...the troublesome tree..
puts the block on everything really east of 36 east to about 55 east..
so..I am blocked by a wall ..and a tree now...
at least when the Gibby was fixed on the pole ..36 East was doable..
rgds
VS

Since you now have a solid foundation, you could always strap a nice piece of steampipe to it, I reckon an 8 metre length should clear the top of the tree.
 
Channel Hopper said:
Since you now have a solid foundation, you could always strap a nice piece of steampipe to it, I reckon an 8 metre length should clear the top of the tree.


I love a bit of sarcasm CH ...

But I suspect aligning the whole assembly at 8 mtrs might be a bit impractical ...not to say a bit scary for me ..lol


..No I'd be happy just to get back what I lost ..and my idea was much simpler ..

To step down the wall to follow the arc..

A project for next year If I do it ..

I'm not a bad bricky having built many of the things you see in my photos ..as well as repairing the walls of my Edwardian period house.

Not so silly when you look at a photo ..the wall is lower to the left anyway...so it would simply be a natural step projection from this to the walls current height.

rgds

VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0139.webp
    DSCF0139.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 25
At least that gives you the winter, to play, when all the leaves have gone, or is this an evergreen tree?
Looking again, at the picture, there seems to be a few more signs of green, appearing above the wall, are these newly planted trees, or just bushes?
 
Mickha said:
At least that gives you the winter, to play, when all the leaves have gone, or is this an evergreen tree?
Looking again, at the picture, there seems to be a few more signs of green, appearing above the wall, are these newly planted trees, or just bushes?

Look like bushes or young trees..
..but these are in gardens belonging to the houses you can see..
Hopefully they will never cause me a problem ..at least not till I'm in my 70s
Assuming I'm still here of course :)
It's being so cheerful as keeps me goin'
rgds
VS

..oh and the troublesome tree ...no it sheds in autumn ;)
 
VS, that really sucks :( I am disappointed for you. Was really looking forward to some interesting reception reports.

I reckon - retire your TD110 and put Neil up there on some longer T&K brackets... And maybe put your TD110 on the pole Neil is on now.
 
Captain Jack said:
VS, that really sucks :( I am disappointed for you. Was really looking forward to some interesting reception reports.

I reckon - retire your TD110 and put Neil up there on some longer T&K brackets... And maybe put your TD110 on the pole Neil is on now.

Seriously CJ..
apart from the visual impact ..and the dangers of having such a big heavyweight at height..
Little would be gained ..as the TD110 cannot see over the Troublesome Tree either..
It's one and a half times the height of my house..
Thats why I have to resort to the TD88 to go futher East than about 36/40 degrees.
And fwiw ..I believe I can get back that stolen 10/15 degrees at Neils current location.
Its all compromise when you have obstructions.
I learned that the hard way.
rgds
VS
 
Bottle of Roundup, 10mm drill, darkness.... problem solved.
 
As I suspected ..the signals around the 28 / 26 East mark are compromised ..
Just about able to lock MBC mux on Badr4 26 east (4.5 to 5 db)
rgds
VS
 
...and its just started raining here to spoil my day...
big raindrops though ..making 2 inch splash circles on impact..
great...not..
 
Back
Top