'Blockbusters' Returns to TV with Host, Simon Mayo

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Blockbusters, the hit game show, aired on ITV between 1983 and 1994. Hosted by Bob Holness, who passed away last month at 83, it was a well loved show that is still fondly remembered, which is why many are excited at the announcement that Challenge TV will be reviving the show. They've already chosen Simon Mayo as their host.

Previously the presenter of BBC's Winning Lines, the 53-year-old Mayo spoke of how he'd truly like to make Blockbusters a success and “do Bob proud.” According to the former Radio 2 host, Challenge TV has no plans of changing the format, although the prizes will be more 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century in the sense that winners will take home an e-reader instead of a dictionary.

Just as before, the show will feature members of the public, except this time around, instead of focusing on students, they will take in people of all ages. There have even been rumors that there may be a celebrity version of the show, which Mayo said he would see to, saying: “I think there is a lot of talk about a celebrity edition, I'll have a word with the celebrity bookers.”.

In his official statement to The Sun, Mayo assured the public that they would be getting the same old show. “No one needs to worry, it will be exactly the same - same set, same board, same theme tune although slightly updated. The prizes will probably be the same too although you won't win a dictionary, you win an e-reader.

“The spirit of the show will be exactly the same, that's why I said yes. There are very few tried and tested TV formats where you don't have to agonise over it. The great thing about it is everyone knows it works. It has a play along factor.

“It is a feel good programme, it would be nice to do Bob proud. His legacy is so extraordinary.”

Set to air in the spring, Mayo said he's already been asked for a P.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
'Blockbusters' Returns to TV with Host, Simon Mayo

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoOOOoOooOoooooooooooo!!!! :eek:

Alexander Armstrong should be doing it!!:eek:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
Alexander Armstrong should be doing it!!:eek:

Wrong broadcaster, and he is already employed on a game show (or some sh it like that) ;)

Not sure how good Mr Mayo will be, but at least it's not Paul Ross.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If this means we'll get a decent DJ for the Drive-Time slot, then that's all to the good.

I've had to get to grips with Eddie Mair instead, in recent years.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Tivù said:
I've had to get to grips with Eddie Mair instead, in recent years.
A wonderful broadaster with a superb dry sense of humour. And he's not afraid to ask difficult questions when required.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PaulR said:
A wonderful broadaster with a superb dry sense of humour. And he's not afraid to ask difficult questions when required.

Quite - in the same way that Simon Mayo isn't!