Boosting Weak Transponders

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi ppl , wondering if any one has tried removing the white cap of Universal Lnb and inserting a small pipe ( 3 in ) long inside it would boost the weak signals .
Any thoughts you would have be greatly appreciated .

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The plastic cover is to stop anything getting inside. The introduction of a tube or pipe is only going to diminish the amount of signal received, indeed may probably kill it, I certainly doubt it would boost the level of signal received from any transponder let alone a weak one.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are suffereing weak signals, buy a bigger dish. Its the only real way to improve received signal strength.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
al_madhi said:
Hi ppl , wondering if any one has tried removing the white cap of Universal Lnb and inserting a small pipe ( 3 in ) long inside it would boost the weak signals .
Any thoughts you would have be greatly appreciated .

I removed the thick plastic covers on some lnbf:s last weekend,and it actually boosted the Astra 2d signal with 5 % on the picquality-meter on some of them.

Have now replaced the current one with a 0.25 mm cover.

Why do you think Invacom uses such a thin cover on the snh-031?

Inserting a pipe will destroy the signal completely.

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
indeed, removing some caps from some LNB'S increases signals. One guy mentioned, and don't quote me on this, that placing a neon light starter inside the LNB might increase signal. Maybe, its an urban myth.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I am not disagreeing there at all if you just remove the cap of course you will get more signal through as you are effectively removing an obstruction. In the NW UK with the inclement weather quite often there is a fine build up of dust grime and sometimes this green algae that seems to cover everything these days. Call me simple but I actually clean the lnb cover at least once a year when I am cleaning the algae off my dish. I find that if I do not then the build up of rubbish retains moisture and thus reduces signal quality.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Polish the cap then give it a squirt of wd40 to help rain run off :)

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
toppervte33h said:
The plastic cover is to stop anything getting inside. The introduction of a tube or pipe is only going to diminish the amount of signal received, indeed may probably kill it, I certainly doubt it would boost the level of signal received from any transponder let alone a weak one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks toppervte33h for your reply

Actually Universal Lnb is designed for Offset dishes , But when comes to parabolic primary focus dishes the Universal Lnb doesn't work perfectly due to wider illumination angle , and in order to the universal lnb to work better is to remove the cap of the lnb and inserting a small waveguide pipe down the lnb throat .

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
Polish the cap then give it a squirt of wd40 to help rain run off :)

Do that too Analoguesat but didn't wish to confuse anyone or start a trend it could have boosted sales of the product to the extent that Halfords ran out.
Pledge furniture spray is supposed to be good as well but I have not tried it. BTW I spray Pledge on squeeky door hinges, works a treat!!!! :cool:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
al_madhi said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks toppervte33h for your reply
Actually Universal Lnb is designed for Offset dishes , But when comes to parabolic primary focus dishes the Universal Lnb doesn't work perfectly due to wider illumination angle , and in order to the universal lnb to work better is to remove the cap of the lnb and inserting a small waveguide pipe down the lnb throat .
So the 3" pipe has now become a waveguide pipe......
At what point in the discussion does it turn into a feedhorn????
Look if it works for you I am pleased for you honest but I doubt many people will PM you for specific details, apart from that the fact that you hardly ever see a drop of rain in Saudi and we hardly ever see any sunshine in the UK makes it a very impractical solution for us in the UK especially on a prime focus dish as the "waveguide pipe" you inserted in the lnb would be constantly filled with rainwater.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
If the cap degrades the signal it isn't a real feedhorn cap, real caps on feedhorns doesn't affect the signal.

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
try clingfilm,theres nothing thinner.

dardachat5

Reaction score
powel000 said:
indeed, removing some caps from some LNB'S increases signals. One guy mentioned, and don't quote me on this, that placing a neon light starter inside the LNB might increase signal. Maybe, its an urban myth.
This is true dear. I have heared about it before.