BT Home Hub

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Just been sent one of these router/phone station thingies.
It comes as part of the upgrade to 8Mb B/band (If I'm lucky).

Problem is, it only has two Ethernet terminals, and I need three, which my present router has (two for PC's, one for my Triple Dragon). I know I could use the wireless facility, but being wired up for home networking, I don't want to go back to this route.

There's a USB input, I suppose I could use this instead of the missing LAN terminal?

Don't like the look of it anyway - tacky, more like a cereal box. Destined for the loft I think.

Llew

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
You might be able to use your existing ADSL router as a standard network hub. Set up the home hub then connect one of the Ethernet ports to your old ADSL router (disable ADSL if it has that option in the setup page) and it might work as a hub, allowing you to connect more computers to the Ethernet ports on that. But this is a messy solution I know.

The USB option should also work, but I've never liked connecting to routers by USB, but there should be no real problems if it works (it may take up slightly more resources on the PC than Ethernet).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
UK 80cm fixed on Hotbird / ART sports package.
4.2 Mtr Prime focus Dish at Astra 2D + Hotbird & Arabsat Fixed.
My Location
South Essex UK. Kapparis Famagusta Cyprus
You might think its tacky but I can assur you this is the best selling hub in the UK currently.
And its is upgradable where many others are not.
Dont be fooled by the looks.
Its a nice bit of kit if you give it a chance.
If not send it to me lol.
Kind Regards
Essex Boy.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
OK guys, thanks.

Yes, the existing router as a hub seems like a possibility Polomint. I'll investigate further.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the Home hub is tied to BT only. Is this correct? Is it a firmware "problem" that can be fixed with a flash?

Just remembered where I saw the message. There was a Home Hub at the local househild auctions a few weeks ago.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
PaulR said:
Is it a firmware "problem" that can be fixed with a flash?

Let's hope you have mislaid your macintosh then:rolleyes::-doh!;)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PaulR said:
I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the Home hub is tied to BT only. Is this correct? Is it a firmware "problem" that can be fixed with a flash?

Just remembered where I saw the message. There was a Home Hub at the local househild auctions a few weeks ago.

Yes, only works with BT Total Broadband/Broadband Talk services. Flashable? Don't know Paul.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
_http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22917-12.html?

Gets interesting with some results from Page 17 onwards.

Good luck

(PS- I think you invalidate the warranty if you bugger about with it)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Channel Hopper said:
(PS- I think you invalidate the warranty if you bugger about with it)
I'm bl**dy sure you would invalidate it!

lorimer

Reaction score
Do a google search for home plugs.Ethernet lead from home hub goes into home plug.Plug goes into mains.You need one other plug for each pc plugged elsewhere in house or you can obtain 3 port plug if pcs are situated together.Other plugs also go into mains.I have found the plugs do work with extension lead but not extension lead with antisurge.You can also plug a phone into the hub and have free weekend and evening calls and cheap international calls.You also get another telephone no.If you are on bt and go to the max service beware.Your line may not take upto 8mb and then you get cut offs.Ask for the line to be capped to what is possible on the line only.The plugs work with xbox etc.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
A bit o/t but I was in Burnley today (yep, I was feeling brave!!!) and I went to Cash Converters for some bargains, and I counted no less than 5 BT Home Hubs with phones, all for sale between £23 and £30... :eek: