Buggered 2 bskyb satellite boxes up..Help!

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi Deano
Well at least i think you have ruled out my idea of what the problem might have been..Do you get a full 7 day epg when you are in Spain?? Glad you got it working so you have something to watch

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Based In Majorca Spain. Pace DS4400N
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Hello again all. Sorry for dragging up an old post but after returmimg to Spain and havinf the sat up and running since June(it just worked again on return) arring in October I have the same falt again. I think it is defo the LNB as I swapped boxes over today and still no signal. The LNB still has its cap missing and there was nothing inside when I stuck my finger in. I am going to pck up a LNB later toay from a diy store. can you advise if there is a certain type I would need to buy in order to get sky here in spain or do they all do the same job?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Remind us what the current Dish and LNB is ............ If it's a 40mm collar mounted Universal (generally for Offset Dishes), then any 40mm collar mounted Universal should be a straight swop.

If you have a Prime Focus Dish, then it'll be a C120 LNB and again, any modern C120 should be a straight swop.

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Hi I cant see any markings on the dish or lnb but here is a image which I hope will help?

Attachments

• 20121024_173008.jpg
    20121024_173008.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20121024_173022.jpg
    20121024_173022.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 105

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good, thanks: That's a 40mm collar mount Universal, so get yourself a similar replacement.

I have to say that the unkempt edges of the masking tape will affect the coherence of the signal and reduce Quality.

But (smug mode) I recall my initial response to your original first Post was to strongly suspect the LNB.

A replacement is neither expensive nor difficult, so hopefully you'll be sorted soon.

If you can source an Inverto Black Ultra Quad, that would be good.

PS: Hard to tell if that existing LNB is skewed correctly, but you can check what it should be using Dishpointer or other freely available calculator (or you can just optimise it by experiment)

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
I know : ). But just plugged into another dish and still not working. Could be the cable but will try a new LNB and see how that goes. Thanks for advise.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmm.

If there is more than one issue, at least changing the LNB will give us fewer options to consider once we know how everything performs with the new one fitted.

And it should be changed anyway, bearing in mind it's age and physical condition.

Keep us informed .................... !!

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
I am struggling to get a LNB locally here so for the sake of a few euros I purchased a new cable but that did not resolve problem. I did note on the sky settings in LNB setup it states Lo frequency 9.75 and High band as 10.6 os this correct for out here?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, those are indeed the necessary (and correct) Local Oscillator frequencies for Low Band and High Band respectively, when a Universal LNB is used.

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Thanks. Looks like i will have to hunt down a lnb.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Can't you get one sent to you?

Lots of availability from our Forum Sponsors, eBay etc.

Around €30 plus carriage should do it.

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Im only here for about 3 more days so wont be about to receive. I will have a hunt locally, if not get one back home.

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Well here's an update to my ongoing sat saga. The new LNB resolved the problem when I came out in April and all channels worked great. However this week I have no signal again: ( Everything looked ok when I checked the dish and LNB I left the out mains and rebooted box with no joy. What I then did do was go to LNB settings saved just typed in 11778 and done a programme search.
This time I got a channel menu but no background music.
I have very limited channels now. I have blocky BBC 1&2 ITV but channel 4 & 5 sky news are working fine.
Does anybody have any settings that may help me get these channels back?

A nonymous

Reaction score
I think you may find the issue is possibly caused by the channels you got before were previously transmitted from Astra 2D which is now not in use. The signals are now being transmitted from Astra 1N which has a much tighter UK Spot beam than 2D had so you will probably find the channal strengths are now lower than they used to be. That may well be the issue here.

You may well be right on the threshold now. It may well be worth speaking to other brits around the area to see what dish size they are using to get reliable signals. The local British bars would probably be the best place to start asking.

Nano

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
I have just got ITV BBC so must be the new signal. I'm wondering if there is a better LNB setting I could use?

A nonymous

Reaction score
A bigger dish is what you will need if these signals are just on the signal threshold.

Nano

deano71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Dish.
My Location
Majorca
Mmmm think I might go Internet option and stream Filmon through TV rather than a new dish as that may also become obsolete at year down the line.I hear the footprint may get even smaller by 2014 and another change in August 2013.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
deano71 said:
I hear the footprint may get even smaller by 2014 and another change in August 2013.
Astras 2 E & 2G come into service around those dates. At the moment we know the BBC will switch to the Astra 2E uk spot this autumn, which will likely affect much of southern Spain badly