Calculate theoretical line of sight

dssnosher

Member
My Satellite Setup
DM500
My Location
Ukraine
Curious if I can receive 100.5 Asiasat 5.

Location: 49.836573, 24.183819
Height: 27m above ground

Dishpointer says its below the horizon but it assumes ground level reception. I am curious if 27m above ground will have 100.5 above the horizon.
 
Last edited:
It will be low on the horizon plus it is unlikely any footprint that does point north west reaches your location.
Best install a 5m dish where you are and report back on your findings.
 
I just installed a 4m and i am not going back to assembling anything bigger than 1.8m :)
Satbeams says that theoretically I am 80km from beam that needs 90cm dish. Leaving aside the line of sight factor, an 1.8 would provide an adequate signal.
 
You may have occasional reception even if the satellite is slightly below horizon. Depending on weather like terrestrial UHF reception.
Signal will have deep fade-outs (scintillation) that can hardly be compensated with dish size.
So you can make a few screenshots, but not enjoy uninterrupted video/audio. Anyway, good luck experimenting!
 
I looked at the position, Satellite is 0.662° above terrain
 
Satbeams shows those coordinates (in the middle of a field) are 32KM too far west for the edge of the global beam and places it below the horizon, assuming completely flat ground in the correct direction the dish will need to be 82M above the ground to see that far. But don't let us stop you, would love to know what you find by experimenting :)
 
There have definitely been reception reports of this satellite from Ukraine, so it's possible but probably a little further east than you are.
 
Back
Top