redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
Bit of a noob question but here goes. If I purchases a receiver with built in Original CAMs for example Conax, Irdeto, Viaccess should they be ok to use indefinitely when satellite providers send out new viewing cards or will they eventully become obsolete. I was just thinking this because with your standard sky box they can issue a new card every so often with updated encryption but surely it still has to be compatible with the CAM in the box or am I missing something ? Is there downloads to keep the CAMs up to date or will a new one be required say if a Viaccess 4 was to appear ? Bit confused.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
redout said:
Bit of a noob question but here goes. If I purchases a receiver with built in Original CAMs for example Conax, Irdeto, Viaccess should they be ok to use indefinitely when satellite providers send out new viewing cards or will they eventully become obsolete. I was just thinking this because with your standard sky box they can issue a new card every so often with updated encryption but surely it still has to be compatible with the CAM in the box or am I missing something ? Is there downloads to keep the CAMs up to date or will a new one be required say if a Viaccess 4 was to appear ? Bit confused.

There is always a chance that "Today's CAM" will not work after sometime if the encryption system is upgraded, this a chance that you would have to take.
With dedicated receivers from certain providers, they usually give an alternative, either a software upgrade via satellite or change their dedicated receiver completely.
But if you buy a non dedicated receiver, then you are completely on your own.
I remeber buying a black Viaccess CAM when I started this hobby, and then when I bought a TPS Card, I had to buy a Red Viaccess CAM to be able to open the channels.
And now there is a newer version.
As regarding embedded CAMs, there is usually an upgrade via satellite as well. But there would be a time when you might need to replace it with a different receiver.
It is just part of life.
I blame the hackers. If they weren't that persistent to watch everything for free, I probably would be still using the Black Viaccess CAM.